Heljan 7mm Deltic

brian daniels

Thanks Brian and Richard for the excellent detailed info ;) . I'm pretty sure 9014 was the last one to go from green to blue as well, compared to many other classes the Deltics got their new corporate livery fairly smartish.

Amazing how much more tantalising it is with paint on by the way Bri! If I end up getting a tax rebate (as mentioned all over the radio and TV news today) I can see me taking the plunge with a blue 47 to keep me out of mischief until the 55 appears at a certain model emporium in Kidlingtonshire. If I end up owing the taxman instead, I'd better volunteer for some overtime :lol:

Nidge

Do you think the whole run will be sold out as pre-orders before it hits the shelves!

I have spent all day painting this. You would thin it's only yellow blue and black it would not tale long, especially as the yellow was already done yesterday. But there is a bit of silver on window frames, yellow on air pipes, brown, white and blue on tanks, white and red on fire pull , black on exhausts and touching up the tanks after doing the white. It seems to go on for ever. Still, will get the transfers on tomorrow and hopefully the correct data panals from Preccision Labels I ordered will come soon.

If you want to see this in the flesh then it will be at Warley. But don't forget that my painting will have a bit more detail than the production model. I doubt that they will paint the silver window frames on the clear window mouldings, or the air pipes. Will have to ask them if they can do the window frames as it is a fair bit of silver on the cab sides.

Looking forward to Warley and seeing it in the flesh. Looks great, brilliant finish.

I think it could well sell out on pre orders. The interest is incredible with this model. Even non 7mm types are getting on the band wagon just to see it on a shelf at home looking good. There is time and interest is still growing. Its just a few days since it was introduced to the public and those who missed it at Telford have been fascinated by your efforts and us nutters raving about it.

Keep going Brian, brilliant job.

Got some transfers on it now all bar the data panal that I am still waiting for from Precision labels. Interestingly the Deltics never had any overhead warning flashes for a long time. I had to push the cab side windows in to line up the arrows with the center window. I have put the larger arrow on this as they did not start using smaller ones until the late 70's. I have painted up the desk which is a very nice piece of work, shame about the motor covering beind it though. Made some headcodes up as well. Heljan have done a nice job of the tanks but we will have to wait and see whether they paint all the detail on them.

post-6766-070865200 1284040267_thumb.jpg

post-6766-029601800 1284040270_thumb.jpg

post-6766-053723800 1284040273_thumb.jpg

post-6766-093410200 1284040275_thumb.jpg

post-6766-091400800 1284040278_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Nice work as ever Mr D! I doubt mine will stay as clean as that once I get my sticky mitts on one... :D

Are the Precision Labels data panels the right ones for 9014 by the way? Reason I ask is BR changed the look of them slightly in 1973...

Nidge ;)

Hi Nidge, when ordering the data panals you have to sort out the style and content you want precision labels It helps to go on this site Number Panels and work out what to fill in.

Thought i would take a pic in the garden with a JLTRT MkIId. I allways thought the MKII was a bit on the vertically challanged side, but it must be said I have not measured the Deltic either.

Does anyone know of a camera that does BR Blue justice?

post-6766-066696800 1284042013_thumb.jpg

post-6766-020455600 1284042016_thumb.jpg

Hi Nidge, when ordering the data panals you have to sort out the style and content you want precision labels It helps to go on this site Number Panels and work out what to fill in.

Thought i would take a pic in the garden with a JLTRT MkIId. I allways thought the MKII was a bit on the vertically challanged side, but it must be said I have not measured the Deltic either.

Does anyone know of a camera that does BR Blue justice?

Canon 1d SLR and a decent lens and it does help if you know how to use the equipment as well

Looks super- but I have a nagging feeling that Heljan should have made the nose ends a little, well flatter.

Anyone checked against the drawings?

To me the fact the ends arn't flat is why the shape works for me. Real Deltics have quite a noticeable slope between the top of the bonnet and the buffer stocks, see the shoop earlier in this thread where Brian overlaid the Heljan nose onto a pic of a real Deltic, the Heljan shape is really rather good.

Same feeling here, the bonnet top slope and front slope all look right for a very convincing model. Very similar to the Bachmann OO model in fact...

Thought i would take a pic in the garden with a JLTRT MkIId. I allways thought the MKII was a bit on the vertically challanged side, but it must be said I have not measured the Deltic either. ...

Let me be daring here, without access to the dimensions: comparison to a couple of photos of TRT (Deltic +mkII) indicates to me that the model Deltic is correctly proportioned, the problem is in the model of the mkII which is LTRT to just above the windows, and then has far to flat a roof profile, NLTRT. The Deltic should be the taller of the two, just by a much smaller margin; and where the coach looses height is because the roof section isn't nearly deep enough..

... Does anyone know of a camera that does BR Blue justice?...

There was me thinking that you had the washed out drabness that BR blue quickly assumed in service 'just so'. Polarising filter will help, also may need a colour correction filter to compensate for the very high colour temperature of ''cloudy bright' daylight, unless some of these digital thingies can do an accurate enough white balance to compensate.

Regarding the BR Blue in the pic I use a Canon G10 I changed the white balance to daylight but it still does not like blue. Used the same camera on auto white balance in the attic under strip lights and I think they are ok. I had the same trouble with my Canon 30D in that the blue on my models where rubish.

Anyway the Deltic has been varnished now since I got the data panels today so I might get it back together today if it dries or maybe at the weekend but I am demoing at the Swindon Steam Museum show this weekend so we will have to see.

I will have to try and measure the height of these later to sort out the height thing. Will have to phot it next to my DJH Deltic as well. Still waiting for the nameplates though.

Heljan presumably...?

They've certainly been to specsavers since they did the mk1 coaches in any case.. ;)

The curve of the nose relative to the headcode box seems fine compared to the prototype. That comparison is probably the easiest to quantify unless you have measured or scanned the real one.

Now got all the windows back in and the handbrake chains connected. I have had to glue the buffers in as this is one area to sort out. I have taken a picture of the slope of the nose, the verticle handrail and headcode do slope back. Also a picture looking down the body to, hopefully, show the tumblehome. Almost forgot there's a close up of the Precision Labels data panel.

post-6766-005953200 1284143973_thumb.jpg

post-6766-026464300 1284143975_thumb.jpg

post-6766-037016400 1284143977_thumb.jpg

post-6766-061026200 1284143979_thumb.jpg

post-6766-044365400 1284144025_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

There is only one word to descibe this .....WOW!

For me it looks like a Deltic (especially those pictures of a couple of days ago before the side windows went in and the one immediately above). Certainly the nose looks right (it should slope backwards). Saw Royal Scots Grey at Doncaster on the way home this afternoon (did not get a chance of a photo and there was a lighting mast in the way) but this model compares well with this.

Well done Brian. Cann't wait to getting a chance to see the model in the flesh at Warley.

Richard

well this loco is looking better and better cant wait for it to come out ,looking at the amount of interest will have to pre order it.

i have now drawn up a layout on xrtacad specific for this loco but have decided to do it in OO to see how it works out before doing it in O gauge

OO layout will have its first outing at Derby 2011.

Need to do a bit of detective work today to find best pre-order price?

Hugh

Wow, only just found this thread... hmmm, this could cause a departure from "OO"... This looks like it'll be a good model to work with... my preference would be to beef up the lower nose end with ETH gear. Whilst you don't need it on yours Brian (pre TOPS), you might want to add the nose mounted steps (the ones in the corners), which can really give the fround end some additional depth. Some detail to the bogies such as the speedo connection from the upper hub, behind the steps and up to the cab might be nice, and fitting of the kick plate in the steps on that side... add in the sway braces between bogie and body... add the sanding gear to leading and trailing axles in each bogie a frame for the headcode panel and the three rivets above the upper lamp bracket and some refined headboard brackets (the rectangular ones not the lamp brackets). I'm not sure about the front sandbox covers.. they look a little big. Body profile looks good... although I've just noticed one problem.... the bogies represent the fabricated bogies... and in sevice these were replaced very early on with cast ones. The survivors all have fabricated ones now (I think), but as blue (pre or post) tops, green with yellow front panels cast bogies would be accurate.

However, that said - I'll be getting one! I wonder if Mr Hanson will consider some etch bits in 7mm:)

• RMweb Premium

Regarding the BR Blue in the pic I use a Canon G10 I changed the white balance to daylight but it still does not like blue. Used the same camera on auto white balance in the attic under strip lights and I think they are ok. I had the same trouble with my Canon 30D in that the blue on my models where rubish.

Brian, although I am not familiar with the G10 I assume it has a preset white balance setting, in which case try pointing it at a sheet of white card/paper in the garden and "lock" that balance in, then shoot the Loco at that setting, it should give you a true representation of the blue then, well what the Canon software thinks is true! :P

Brilliant build as always Brian, defo on my list for next year....after the 08 just announced from JLTRT ;)

• RMweb Premium

Wow, only just found this thread... hmmm, this could cause a departure from "OO"... This looks like it'll be a good model to work with... my preference would be to beef up the lower nose end with ETH gear. Whilst you don't need it on yours Brian (pre TOPS), you might want to add the nose mounted steps (the ones in the corners), which can really give the fround end some additional depth. Some detail to the bogies such as the speedo connection from the upper hub, behind the steps and up to the cab might be nice, and fitting of the kick plate in the steps on that side... add in the sway braces between bogie and body... add the sanding gear to leading and trailing axles in each bogie a frame for the headcode panel and the three rivets above the upper lamp bracket and some refined headboard brackets (the rectangular ones not the lamp brackets). I'm not sure about the front sandbox covers.. they look a little big. Body profile looks good... although I've just noticed one problem.... the bogies represent the fabricated bogies... and in sevice these were replaced very early on with cast ones. The survivors all have fabricated ones now (I think), but as blue (pre or post) tops, green with yellow front panels cast bogies would be accurate.

However, that said - I'll be getting one! I wonder if Mr Hanson will consider some etch bits in 7mm:)

Jon, don't forget I think this particular model is a loaner from Heljan/Tower, Brian has been limited to making a pre-production model basically into what a finished production ready version will look like....and it hasn't hurt the pre-order sales either no doubt? :D It certainly has got my wallet twitching :rolleyes:

David, (and Brian), yes sorry, wasn't meant to be too critical... how could I criticise Brian's fantastic models ... they are models aren't they. .. I'm not sure, some of them look far tooooo real. Having spent the last few months working out how to detail the OO Bachmann offering, I've developed an eye for these machines, and the variations between them during their life. So observatiosn were what jumped out at me. This is a Heljan product and a very good one it will be. However, it's not a Loveless product (how long do we wait for that one?), so there's always going to be room for improvement... wouldn't our lot be a lot duller if there wasn't something to add. I failed to comment on the bogie height (body gap) and this does look good. I've dropped the gap on my Bachmann ones, but it doesn't get this close, so yes, that's very good.

As I hoped I'd suggested, this machine is something that I will seriously be considering, and in line with my memories, it'll be a Domino headcode or 4-digit code, post Tops post ETH (mid 70s) racehorse for me;) . Yes, Brian's done a fantastic job.

The colour of the body... since when was BR blue in miniture an easy colour to photograph anyway.... the fun I've had photting mine - shot as RAW image, colour balance correction for light (sun or cloud) and adjusted for neutral ... landscape or portrait just don't do it (Canon Pro). And as for the recent shots I grabbed of 55022... I don't remember Deltics that shiny as a kid:rolleyes: ... fantastic as it looks, it's hardly representative of a 70s machine... fortunately:lol: . Hope she ran sweetly today.