L&Y Pugs

Caledonian

'Ramsay's British Model Trains Catalogue' compiled by Pat Hammond, from the publishers of British Railway Modelling lists all known 4mm model raiway locomotives and rolling stock by 28 makers from 'Airfix' to 'Wrenn' as well as other makers in N to 0 gauges. The 6th edition of 2008 lists five variants of the L&Y Pugs from Dapol and ten from Hornby. If you Google 'MREmag' you will find that Pat is currently proof-reading the latest edition.

• 5 years later...

There were different versions of smokebox door, the Liverpool ones differed to the ones modelled by Dapol.

Was there?  I've only ever seen one type on the real things. My feeling is that the Dapol (ex Airfix/Kitmaster) kit wrongly used a more 'modern' shaped door.  Unfortunately this mistake was repeated on the 7mm scale Tower Brass one - I've still to pluck up the courage to unsolder the smokebox door and substitute a correctly shaped Springside one on mine.

Ray.

The Airfix kit also used standard buffers.

Which is what the first ones were built with, although they didn't retain them for long, and later batches had dumb buffers from new. None had standard buffers in BR days, despite that the Airfix kit had the post 1956 BR crest transfers.

• 1 year later...

I've definitely seen that classification used before somewhere. No idea where though.

Jason

In the observers book of railway locomotives of Britain (published 1958) they are referred to as the L&Y B7 class, incidentally, the photo they include shows 51244 with a shunters pole between its buffers like a school master with a cane! Going to put some order into the wagons no doubt! :D

Archived