Never saw this in Southampton High Street

PhilH

You just weren't around at the time to see the LSWR boat trains run along Canute Road and Town Quay from the Terminus to the Royal Pier. :rolleyes: (It's below Bargate) The good citizens of Syracuse never had a Bargate for the trams to run through either. Note the trolley wire arrangement at the top of the picture.

• RMweb Premium

If it's really the Empire State Express running through Syracuse, it would be like the Flying Scotsman going down Doncaster's main street (or the one by the station, anyway).

• RMweb Gold

You just weren't around at the time to see the LSWR boat trains run along Canute Road and Town Quay from the Terminus to the Royal Pier. :rolleyes: (It's below Bargate) The good citizens of Syracuse never had a Bargate for the trams to run through either. Note the trolley wire arrangement at the top of the picture.

I was actually, born in '49. The boat trains that I saw used to go mainly just across Canute Road to get to the Ocean Terminal for the Cunarders, only ever saw goods trains trundling around the Royal Pier and across the top of it to get from the old to the new docks (or vice versa).

Although I have a few photo's of the south end of the D,N&S line, I never got to photo anything below Bargate, in fact I don't remember any of the rail action by the docks, I was around there in the late 50's and certainly clubbing in So'ton through the early/mid 60's.

I do recall the late train from So'ton back to Winchester had to go via So'ton Terminus, and by the time the mail was loaded etc., I was asleep, often waking up at Woking, a few hours there before catching the milk train!!! back to Winchester, breakfast and onto work....

The final run through the streets of Syracuse was in September 1936 by which time the locos were J class 4-6-4s..............

Andy May

True indeed...that was the NYC's main line. Staufer's NYC books have a number of images of Hudsons strolling down the street there...

How about a layout based on the Glasgow Tramway as it ran alongside the Clyde shipyards. Didn't they run goods trains along it?

Keith

ISTR that the Glasgow tramways were to a slightly odd gauge so that SG rolling stock would run in the fairly shallow tramway groove on their flanges. I don't know whether this was to allow goods into the yards and factories or to move completet locos to the docks.

There was street running of passenger trains in the US until fairly recently. Two Amtrak trains each way ran down Fifth Street in Lafayette Indiana until the early 1990s and there were a couple of other places where this happened. Freight trains in the streets of American towns seem still to be not that unusual.

David

• RMweb Premium

Of interest in photo 9011 (the second one) is the cage over the trolley wire. This was a precaution in case the trolley pole left the wire -- it would catch in the cage which was electrified and continue past the steam railway tracks.

• RMweb Premium

ISTR that the Glasgow tramways were to a slightly odd gauge so that SG rolling stock would run in the fairly shallow tramway groove on their flanges. I don't know whether this was to allow goods into the yards and factories or to move completet locos to the docks.

David

I believe the gauge was four feet seven & three-quarters of an inch because of the different back to back measurement of tramway wheels and normal railway wheels of the same track gauge.

On a normal railway the flanges should not make contact with the railhead except on points etc due to the coned profile of the wheel tread, this does not seem to be the case with trams.

I understand that they were for goods transfer between the various establishments on the route.

Keith

There was street running of passenger trains in the US until fairly recently. ... Freight trains in the streets of American towns seem still to be not that unusual.

There still is; Jack London Square, Oakland, California is one famous place...

http://www.rail-videos.net/video/view.php?id=8471

One possibility for the prevalence of Street-running in the US is that the Railroad was often there first; towns and cities grew up around the tracks (or developed at the same time, with a convienient "grid" street plan), unlike in UK & Europe where when the Railways were built, had to fit into towns and cities that had already existed for hundreds of years, or more... ;)

• RMweb Gold

Blimey those trains aren't exactly hanging about trundling to and from Jack London square! No way they are going to stop for a confused automobile driver.

Cheers

Dave

Steam locos take it a bit more

- still impressive though (it does get to the camera eventually!)

If you've got some time there's loads of street running vids on youtube - I particularly like the 'street corner' quaintness of

• RMweb Premium

One possibility for the prevalence of Street-running in the US is that the Railroad was often there first; towns and cities grew up around the tracks (or developed at the same time, with a convienient "grid" street plan), unlike in UK & Europe where when the Railways were built, had to fit into towns and cities that had already existed for hundreds of years, or more... ;)

But why incorporate the rail tracks in the road or the other way round when the town is expanding from nothing? You could avoid doing it entirely.

The fact that the road system/town is already there with little or no room for a separate rail track is surely a better argument for putting the tracks down the road in Europe?

Keith

But why incorporate the rail tracks in the road or the other way round when the town is expanding from nothing? You could avoid doing it entirely.

The fact that the road system/town is already there with little or no room for a separate rail track is surely a better argument for putting the tracks down the road in Europe?

Keith

Keith

Main Street would have grown up either side of the tracks hence the result tracks down the middle. So buildings either side of the track and as the vehicles changed from stagecoach/horses to cars the tarmac would have been added.

Colin

Archived