Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

Photo
- - - - -

New Liveries

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#26 scottishlocos

scottishlocos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:17

Hi all

I had heard a rumour before that Vi-Trains were going to produce a Steam loco
and a modern wagon but seems to have just been froth as that was over a year ago.

I would like to see a 37'5 in loadhaul livery.

regards

Dave

Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

#27 34theletterbetweenB&D

34theletterbetweenB&D

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,887 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:33

... Drip feed the market over a year or two and sales may well hold up. That seemed to be Lima's approach and by and large it must have worked, considering how many liveries appeared over the years.

But Lima were operating in a very different market, where much of the time they were marginally the better of two manufacturers, and the one that was actively serving an interest in diesel traction with regular product introductions and livery variations. They practically had a monopoly for this sector of interest.

Now, they are up against Bachmann, Dapol, Heljan and Hornby all regularly shoving out good quality new introductions covering a wider range of subject matter than ever seen previously. The competitive landscape is radically different, they are now the minor player in a field of five, and not making the running. With only two models on offer, both duplicated by better or equivalent offerings, and the initial peak of sales on introduction long past, my assessment would be that they are exiting this market...

#28 Ron Ron Ron

Ron Ron Ron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,963 posts
  • LocationPlanet Spud

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:39

.....my assessment would be that they are exiting this market...

I must have got hold of some that invisible ink?

(see previous post - 4 posts up)

I agree they are probably out of it; but on the other hand they were never here in the first place, were they?

#29 34theletterbetweenB&D

34theletterbetweenB&D

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,887 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 12:22

That will either be for Hobbyco ( is that still the distributor's name?) to tell us, or events to prove, to put our surmising beyond doubt. The HO Vi product covers the full range of modern traction and rolling stock to what appears to be a decent standard, so the development and manufacturing potential is still there if the UK distributor wants it enough. Dapol appear to be winning friends in OO with a string of new introductions, Murphy Models have got off the ground with a well selected range, and further newcomers are bidding for a foothold in RTR. There is still room for more in terms of subjects for which at best only dated models are presently available: numbers of MU and electric loco classes, mk2 aircons, mk3 and 4 coaches, various freight stock from the last fifty years; these have the potential to win sales, should the distributor care to take a punt.

But, if they were not so inclined four years ago as rapid follow up on the two initial loco releases, the much tighter environment now must make it unlikely.

#30 Ron Ron Ron

Ron Ron Ron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,963 posts
  • LocationPlanet Spud

Posted 01 November 2010 - 13:35

......should the distributor care to take a punt.

I imagine it would be quite a jump for an import, sales and distribution company to start sponsoring and financing such a project, or series of projects. It's not the usual mode of operation for such companies either.
Personally I think it's questionable that there's sufficient reward in prospect for such an enterprise, especially considering this is a relatively minor product line in Hobby Company's portfolio.

But, if they were not so inclined four years ago as rapid follow up on the two initial loco releases, the much tighter environment now must make it unlikely.

I'm inclined to agree, particularly as the initial two offerings were relative "freebees" and new products will have to be financed from the ground up by someone.

#31 birdseyecircus

birdseyecircus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 754 posts
  • LocationHull

Posted 01 November 2010 - 22:30

Paul, it's not a question of ViTrains struggling in the UK market because they are not in it in the first place. The ViTrains branded UK models are commissions from the Hobby Co., and not part of their normal range.
This was only made possible by the circumstance where the newly formed ViTrains "somehow" had possession of Lima's design/tooling for an updated 37 and 47. How that came about rather than the designs/tools ending up with Hornby we'll probably never know?

Thanks for the information Ron, but substitute 'Vitrains' with the 'Hobby Co' and we still have the same situation.

Personally I think it's questionable that there's sufficient reward in prospect for such an enterprise, especially considering this is a relatively minor product line in Hobby Company's portfolio.

But it did not need to be like this. Witness Dapols growth since the Vitrains/Hobby Co stuff came on the scene.

Paul

#32 owentherail

owentherail

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:24

Looks like the typeface/font of 37141s numbers is still wrong. :angry:

#33 John M Upton

John M Upton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,435 posts
  • LocationBumbling along the Coastway West in a 313...

Posted 02 November 2010 - 19:44

Looks like Hattons are trying to offload their Vi-Trains stock pretty sharpish. The Res liveried 47/7 is down to just £37 and one of the 37's is now down to a mere £33.50!! :o If anyone prefers the Vi-Trains versions then it may be a good time to stock up on cheap locos for repainting during the dark winter nights ahead.

#34 John M Upton

John M Upton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 13:58

Taken the plunge and decided to take a bargain Res 47/7 into stock, see what they are like as their 37 never really did anything for me but the duff does look a bit better. If it turns out out be a load of old tut then I can get rid of it fairly easily without much loss I would have thought.

#35 John M Upton

John M Upton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 13:30

Well the Res 47 is running in now. For 37 notes, its not bad at all. Motor is a bit noisier than the Bachmann one, the seperately fitted details are a bit of a pain to put on and I am not entirely convinced about the shade of grey used on the roof but these are minor quibbles on such a bargain.

Pity all the bargain 47's seem to be cut cab versions, a few as cheap uncut cab versions would go down very nicely.

#36 47406

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:16

Pity all the bargain 47's seem to be cut cab versions, a few as cheap uncut cab versions would go down very nicely.

Well I am glad i read this thread this evening ! I had just decided to order a few of those, I would have been disappointed when the package came... The cutting back thing was a mod that didn't get made until after I left the UK, so wasn't in my head to be aware of.

Cheers for that :)

#37 Charlie

Charlie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 15:36

Just out of interest, how does one tell the difference? And does this apply to the Class 37's too? Was thinking of getting the Resonant, not sure I should now!

#38 47406

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 17:55

Check out the pictures of the Vi 47s on hattons website, in the close ups of the cabs you can see that the area at the side and front under the cab is actually cut back slightly.

In real life this was something that was done to mainly RFd and RES locos, but also present on some IC 47/8s. Do some gallery surfing here and it should become obvious: http://www.class47.c...c47_gallery.php

Here's 47490 (later 47768) with the mod: http://www.class47.c...g=0998000114000

and earlier without: http://www.class47.c...g=1151051559211

Pretty much all the Vi ones have it except 401 & the DRS 802 I think...

#39 Raffles

Raffles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 605 posts
  • LocationNLC 3333

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:37

...and the BR Blue 47600 and Two-Tone Green 47519 although you seldom see those so cheap.

#40 PNWBrit

PNWBrit

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:47

Quick question for everyone. I took advantage of the low prices and ordered a Res 47/7 from Hattons. Unfortunately when it arrived one of the buffers was loose in the box and the head was broken off. Hattons are happy to take it back and send me a replacement, but being over in in the Pacific Northwest of the US, shipping it back to the UK would be pretty darn expensive. So, I was wondering if anyone knew where one could get replacement Vitrains buffers, or, alternatively, a good set of buffers (sprung) to add in place.

Cheers,

Mark

#41 59205

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 20:37

Quick question for everyone. I took advantage of the low prices and ordered a Res 47/7 from Hattons. Unfortunately when it arrived one of the buffers was loose in the box and the head was broken off. Hattons are happy to take it back and send me a replacement, but being over in in the Pacific Northwest of the US, shipping it back to the UK would be pretty darn expensive. So, I was wondering if anyone knew where one could get replacement Vitrains buffers, or, alternatively, a good set of buffers (sprung) to add in place.

Cheers,

Mark

MB Models stock vitrains spares as far as i know. There contact information can be found here http://www.ukmodelsh...483-M.B._Models

#42 BR Blue

BR Blue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 414 posts
  • LocationDublin

Posted 12 November 2010 - 23:33

Check out the pictures of the Vi 47s on hattons website, in the close ups of the cabs you can see that the area at the side and front under the cab is actually cut back slightly.

In real life this was something that was done to mainly RFd and RES locos, but also present on some IC 47/8s. Do some gallery surfing here and it should become obvious: http://www.class47.c...c47_gallery.php

Here's 47490 (later 47768) with the mod: http://www.class47.c...g=0998000114000

and earlier without: http://www.class47.c...g=1151051559211

Pretty much all the Vi ones have it except 401 & the DRS 802 I think...

Thanks I had not spotted that either. I am now looking for the earliest example I can find in RfD that has the modification. Seems to have started 1990 to 1991 but I love to find a 1989 example.

#43 Pugsley

Pugsley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationA hip hop chip shop

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:17

I've got a picture (not mine so can't post, but I think it came from Fotopic somewhere) of 47321 with the cut cab in, allegedly, July 1989. The only drawback is that it has a flush front at the No 2 end (I'm not sure about the other end, but a quick Fotopic search should show what the other end was like).

That's by far the earliest one that I've managed to find so far, although I've not gone through the list of all the 47's that had that mod.

HTH

#44 BR Blue

BR Blue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 414 posts
  • LocationDublin

Posted 13 November 2010 - 14:37

I've got a picture (not mine so can't post, but I think it came from Fotopic somewhere) of 47321 with the cut cab in, allegedly, July 1989. The only drawback is that it has a flush front at the No 2 end (I'm not sure about the other end, but a quick Fotopic search should show what the other end was like).

That's by far the earliest one that I've managed to find so far, although I've not gone through the list of all the 47's that had that mod.

HTH

Many thanks Martin

I had a good look myself and rechecked 47321 following your post. I think this photo could be the one you referred to:
http://www.brushtype...g=0510020389000

However on investigation it seems that 47321 only had this mod at one end. I guess the flush front could be as a result of some collision damage.
http://www.brushtype...g=0510020389000

Further to this. I found this photo of it in blue from 1987 and the surprisingly the cutaway is there:
http://www.brushtype...g=1179051172211

Other photos do show the other end without the cutaway.

I think its plan B. I am going to see how feasible it is to reinstate the original profile. At least it will give me more renumbering options.

Eamon

#45 BR Blue

BR Blue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 414 posts
  • LocationDublin

Posted 14 November 2010 - 20:06

Going back to the topic of New Liveries, the 47484 thread mentions several new models for November and December.

37178 TG Railfreight Distribution
47484 GW Green "Isambard Kingdom Brunel"
47197 TG Petroleum
47322 Railfreight Red Stripe "Desert Orchid"
37698 Loadhaul

Link as posted on the other thread:
http://www.hobbyco.n... Oct to Dec.htm

#46 dave_long

dave_long

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 22:32

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark,

The 2 47s I have, the buffers that are attached to the model as shipped are the small underscale buffers, the scale ( or as vitrains put it showcase buffers ) are in the packet of detailing bits. These are more than acceptable for general use.

Dave

#47 Gulliver

Gulliver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 07:41

Picked this out from the link to Hobby Co

"Each locomotive represents a unique subject that has not been available previously in this precise livery from any manufacturer."

47 484 has been available from Lima for sure. Are all their models really never before available from any manufacturer?

#48 Raffles

Raffles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 605 posts
  • LocationNLC 3333

Posted 15 November 2010 - 07:54

If you read the notes under the picture of '484, their get-out clause for that is that their version has an orange cantrail stripe. The Lima one didn't. :rolleyes:

#49 PNWBrit

PNWBrit

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:34

Hi Mark,

The 2 47s I have, the buffers that are attached to the model as shipped are the small underscale buffers, the scale ( or as vitrains put it showcase buffers ) are in the packet of detailing bits. These are more than acceptable for general use.

Dave

Dave,

Sadly mine was shipped with the scale buffers already attached (or un-attached as the case was!). I'm thinking I'm going to just replace the buffers with some cast sprung buffers, it seems a better solution for overall appearance.

Cheers,

Mark

#50 97403_Ixion

97403_Ixion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 15:51

Hi all,

just for reference, I asked a rather helpful ViTrains staff member at Warley 2010 if the upcoming Loadhaul 37698 was going to be pure Loadhaul, or Loadhaul with EWS mid-body doors. I was told it would be pure Loadhaul (as shown in the cabinet at Warley 2010) but it turns out he was not aware of the EWS door version, which gave 37698 it's own individuality, in my view. A touch of EWS colour paint is all that would be needed. :rolleyes:

Goeffrey Allison was originally going to commission this loco with Bachmann a long time ago...

Cheers,
Ixion.