Applying PC Models Transfers Decals

Matador

Can Someone tell me the technique for applying Methfix and PC Models Waterslide transfers . I have dealled a lot of American Models with Micro Scale Decals but am struggling with Methfix and PC

DC Snr

A Brit in the USA

Can Someone tell me the technique for applying Methfix and PC Models Waterslide transfers . I have dealled a lot of American Models with Micro Scale Decals but am struggling with Methfix and PC

DC Snr

A Brit in the USA

By PC I assume you mean the HMRS sheets (that were previously sold by PC).

For a start they are not waterslide.

The technique is to cut around the transfer and carefully lift the transfer with its thin backing from the thick card backing.

Place the transfer face down where you want it and soak in Meths (3 parts methylated spirit and one part water). The meths activates the adhesive on the transfer side and sticks it to the surface. Pat down with some tissue and leave to enable the meths to evapourate. When reasonably dry soak with water and lift the paper backing away. The paper backing is attached with water soluble adhesive. Carefully mop-up excess water with a tissue.

The great advantage with methfix is no backing film.

Prestfix is similar but has a pressure sensitve adhesive so no need for the meths. Given the choice I go for methfix every time.

PC Model or HMRS 'Methfix' transfers..... First mix a solution of 2 parts metholated spirits to 1 part water. Only cut through first layer of paper and peel transfer off backing sheet. Place of model and brush on a touch of the meths mix. Position it accurately and leave for a minute of two until the backing paper is drying out, then and only then lightly press down. The meths-mix needs time to melt the transfer gum and paintwork. DO NOT DAB WITH TISSUE as this removes the meths-mix preventing it from doing its job.

Leave for 10 minutes then soak with clean water. The backing paper will float off the transfer. Remove it then dab transfer down with tissue. If any residual gum is on the model, remove it later when the transfer has hardnenned.

Larry Goddard

• 6 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

I tend to use Microsol and Microset for everything these days.   I didn't have any meths handy at one time so tried Micro Set on a test application and since that worked ok I've used Micro Set on all types of transfers, except when I needed the extra strength of the red one.

Archived