A Welsh Warehouse

Chubber

Following my attempts [in this section] at building a harbour office in card and Scalescenes papers, I have started another Ahern model, this time of a warehouse that he sketched in North Wales, shown below.

post-106-027916500 1285492807_thumb.jpg

Copyright CV Russell and E Fells

Reproduced with their kind permissions.

I am building it in exactly the same way as the harbour office, there being no commercially available windows I have cut the frames from a print-out on satin photo-paper and fixed them to pieces of C.D. case plastic with MEK Pak solvent. Please feel free to ask any questions as I go along rather than me blathering on!

I scaled up a working drawing from the illustration

post-106-079700500 1285493345_thumb.jpg

As this is again to be a low-relief model, I have [on the model] increased the pitch of the roof to about 45 degrees so as to be able to include the ridge, both chimney stacks and a little of the far side of the roof, all of which will add to the sense of realism when viewd from the average modelling view-point. I have chosen Scalescenes 'TX47 Coursed Rubble' over 2mm paste-board following my usual practice of selectively indenting various lines and features to increase the already commendable impression of texture that the paper portrays.

post-106-002420100 1285493578_thumb.jpg

I have chosen to make the shutters and woodwork from 140gm/sq. mm. watercolour paper so as to give a 'rough' texture, to suit the neglected, heavily weathered appearance alluded to in the accompanying text, colouring it with several washes of watercolour in various reds and brown.

post-106-008479400 1285493961_thumb.jpg

post-106-047864500 1285493986_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

With customers/users like you, Mr W's clever idea just gets better. Stonking result I would be delighted to achieve. Bachmann having just released a comparable-in-size warehouse in low relief, I did wonder about a purchase, but your approach looks far more tailorable to my ideas. Hmm.

With the remaining windows in place, I have made up the chimneys as suggested by Ahern, from strip wood, covered with paper, thus.......

post-106-005505800 1285689013_thumb.jpg

I shall indicate the flue simply by gluing an irregular piece of black paper on the top of the stack. I don't believe a rubble-stone chimney of these slim dimensions would realistically have a safe square flue, but they are an important part of the appearance of the building and so I shall complete them in rubble-stone as drawn. I feel they would have been made brick, with the requisite outer brickwork incorporated into the stone end wall.

Brilliant work Doug!

One query I have - you say you use 2mm pasteboard - where do you get that from? at the moment I'm using Daler mount board that I use for picture framing, and I wondered if there was a less expensive product?

Your advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Shaun.

Brilliant work Doug!

One query I have - you say you use 2mm pasteboard - where do you get that from? at the moment I'm using Daler mount board that I use for picture framing, and I wondered if there was a less expensive product?

Your advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Shaun.

Thanks, SBY, for your post,

Shaun, my paste board was bought here in France, but is just like the grey stuff picture framers use to 'bulk out' a multi-layer frame mount, bundle of which I scrounged from a framers in Petersfield, Hants.

To my mind, when given a coat of matt acrylic varnish and a touch-up with sandpaper, it is a dead-ringer for cast concrete, as below. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Doug

post-106-091032500 1285862533_thumb.jpg

[scalescenes red brick and dark blue brick arches]

Just a picture to show progress to date.....yes, Ahern says the shutters were different colours, brown and one pale green! I think photos at this stage are a good way of seeing what needs touching up etc....i.e. lots!

I've not been too happy with model, but hopefully it will come together soon. The roof need some dark wash in between each slate etc, lots of 'white' bits and the gutters and down-pipes to fit.

Doug

post-106-006540100 1286126534_thumb.jpg

A bit more weathering and touching-up today, gutters and downpipes, still roof lichen and 'weeds' to apply, then a coat of matt acrylic varnish. The windows have been painted on the inside with matt varnish to make them opaque.

post-106-095177300 1286206291_thumb.jpgpost-106-060355600 1286206397_thumb.jpg

post-106-003916100 1286206281_thumb.jpg

post-106-016055700 1286206262_thumb.jpg

Doug

The final incarnation, a bit more weathering and some green stuff. Will it make any 'non-card' modellers try a stone building in card? Papers used are all Scalescenes, TX31 cobblestone, TX18 slates, TX47 Coursed rubble. post-106-037685900 1286215639_thumb.jpg post-106-043070800 1286215641_thumb.jpg

Copyright CV Russell and E Fells

Reproduced with their kind permissions.

post-106-061377000 1286215603_thumb.jpg

post-106-096618600 1286215681_thumb.jpg

post-106-050849200 1286215759_thumb.jpg

Making etched window artwork is really easy btw - if you can work a decent paint program that's all you really need. There is however a good cheat - you can get lots of etched meshes and grids for large scales and some of the square ones make fine window grids in smaller scale.

Khris

Think it's the following :-

Miniature Building Construction; an Architectural Guide for Modellers By John Ahern

ISBN-10 0852421923

ISBN-13 9780852426869

I've just ordered/reserved from our local library, but you can get it online.

Dave

Hi Chubber/Doug,

Could you advise the name of the book you are using for the drawings please.

Looking Reeeaaalll goood ;)

Khris

Hi Khris,

Dave's got it right there, thank you, Dave. Model Rail are to feature a Madder Valley article in the November issue which may well raise the demand for the book, so buy now!

Doug

Making etched window artwork is really easy btw - if you can work a decent paint program that's all you really need. There is however a good cheat - you can get lots of etched meshes and grids for large scales and some of the square ones make fine window grids in smaller scale.

Etched Pixels,

Being Photo/Paintshop illiterate, is there a how to guide on this site.

And where is the cheat?

khris

Wow! Brilliant structure modelling. When at exhibitions I always look closely at the buildings and wish I could achieve the high standards shown. Unfortunately I know I cannot achieve the standards I would like! Must try the Scalescenes methods you have used.

Thanks for inspiration,

Mike

Etched Pixels,

Being Photo/Paintshop illiterate, is there a how to guide on this site.

And where is the cheat?

khris

Humm my post seems to have evaporated. Lets try that again

People like scalelink sell mesh at various sizes (1mm/2mm etc) so you can buy a sheet of etched mesh with the right spacing for your windows and cut sections of it out, paint them white and stick the glazing behind.

Hi Khris,

Dave's got it right there, thank you, Dave. Model Rail are to feature a Madder Valley article in the November issue which may well raise the demand for the book, so buy now!

Doug

Thanks Doug.

I have just ordered on Amazon for GBP3.48 plus GBP7 P&H.

Etched Pixels,

Thank you for your info as well.

Khris

Hi Chubber

Another execellent build.

Are you gutters and downpipes commercial offerings or have you fabricated your own?

Cheers

Thank you, Jack and Campaman.

Those are plastic, from the scrap box made up from little bits, probably ex-Peco, but I do have a work-round for larger, industrial sizes to avoid spending too many SLWTs [scottish Laughing Water Tokens] as shown below, namely 2mm BBQ skewers or plastic rod, little strips of cartridge paper dipped in PVA rolled around for 'joints' and little strips for brackets, for hoppers I use cut off drinking straws and plasticard discs cut with a leatherworkers punch as I can't seem to source these commercially. It can be done with 1mm for N gauge downpipes or OO sink drains etc. A little bull-sh$t 'plip' of PVA does the 'bolt'.

post-106-000485000 1286716281_thumb.jpg

post-106-058520000 1286716303_thumb.jpg

post-106-080083900 1286716319_thumb.jpg

post-106-066516100 1286716340_thumb.jpg

post-106-088792300 1286716382_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps,

Doug

Archived