Hornby Clan

The Fatadder

I must dig out my Clan for a photo, it's one that has been renamed/renumbered as one of the never built Southern Region batch.

I'd be interested in seeing such a photo John, as I quite fancy changing my Clan Buchanan to 72013 Wildfire. Surely that would have been one of the best BR Standard names?

I'd be interested in seeing such a photo John, as I quite fancy changing my Clan Buchanan to 72013 Wildfire. Surely that would have been one of the best BR Standard names?

Yes an intriguing idea all the 'possible' Clans on the Southern, but surely they would have been up against it with the Bulleids?

I am pleased to report however that I have captured every know Hornby model Clan on the (known) open market and now expect to become rich in very short order, I shall 'clean up' as they say....  just like I DIDN'T with my SK Exeters!  Three of them and never got over £105.  Doomed I tell 'ee!  :)

Just bought another 72008 on Ebay for £122 + £32 P+P  to add to my collection of 3, it lacked a rear plate for coal space (I make passable versions with scissors and black card) and two front tender steps, which may have deterred buyers. And of course one can substitute a Brit tender. (edit. if it has the 4-pin plug socket in the right place?)

One thing missing from one of my purchases, not noticed until too late (fool am I!) , is the Brit/Clan whistle.  I have in the past glued a whistle onto the boiler with a spot of epoxy by the full assembly does look better, fragile though it is, I don't suppose these are available as spares anywhere?

edit Comet Models brass versions if any are quite right, BR Standards  L68 horizontal or L68A vertical, have bought both types,  ah the joys!   )

Same with suitable front BR1 tender steps, are these available as spares from say Peter's Spares, maybe I shall do a search. edit it seems not, will dig deeper into my spares boxes and trays....

cheers, this pic slightly edited,

post-7929-0-60030800-1521153396_thumb.jpg

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Gold

You learn something everyday - never seen another picture showing this. Thanks for the link

Most pictures of the south bound run seem to show the Fireman’s side, rather than Drivers side.

I assume it’s down to the sun.

I seem to recall seeing a close up of 44781 having lining on the Fireman’s side of the cab/running plate also but most photos again focus on the pair, with 871 leading.in both cases though it was more down to what lining was left /not rubbed out, rather being unlined or lined.

I know it’s off topic, but how did BR chose 44871/781 for the last day over 45318/88/212 etc.. i’m Surprised 45156 wasn’t considered, itself being a namer.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

Another what might have been - Clan Gordon venturing to the north. I bought it after banging on for years for a RTR Clan, although I had done a Jackson Evans conversion already, but then a days impulse buying was relatively cheap. It appeared on my previous layout and has an occasional guest turn here now and again when I'm in the mood. It is a lovely model though.

post-2642-0-36569400-1521163624.jpg

post-2642-0-55810700-1521163632_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

That lower photo has excellent colour, who said Hornby can't do Brunswick green?    :)

I have taken the liberty of adding a background to my own photo of recently-purchased 72008  and I agree it's a very fine 00 model.

post-7929-0-34189100-1521230628_thumb.jpg 

Cold winter sunshine.

cheers

• Like 2

What great views (the backdrop is excellent as well).

As Rob has said above - good colour.

Another what might have been - Clan Gordon .... It is a lovely model though.

Now what was the donor engine - Lord Rowallan or Firth of Tay perhaps with coal pusher?

Thanks for Posting

Ray

Thanks - think it was Firth of Tay - ran it for a while as Dornoch Firth and stole the tender top for the Clan. I must rummage and see where the other bits are - I came across the Clan top not too long ago but am not sure where the Britt is; I may have sold it on :scratchhead:

Thanks - think it was Firth of Tay - ran it for a while as Dornoch Firth and stole the tender top for the Clan. I must rummage and see where the other bits are - I came across the Clan top not too long ago but am not sure where the Britt is; I may have sold it on :scratchhead:

Ah the mixing and matching of tenders, a very soothing and fulfilling pastime, much indulged in by BR themselves, I believe, in the last days of steam in particular. :) 

When I look back at the photos of the 1962-68 era I wish I had been older and than I actually was, being at school and being required to worry about Latin declensions and mathematical mysteries, and by the time I could earn enough after school to finance a reasonable camera steam had nearly finished.  I do however vividly recall a childhood filled with steam railway sights and journeys, and thus greatly enjoy modelling it, or at least in my case buying and photographing the outstanding models like the Hornby Clan. I also have a 'Firth of Tay' waiting to be photographed, but in another thread methinks.

Thanks for your pictures of 72020 and the excellent colour and weathering.   

• 2 weeks later...

Looking on eBay tonight I see someone is now selling 72005 Clan Macgregor as new.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/382414980232?_trksid=p2471758.m4704

Looks tidy, whistle missing, not sure about fireman's-side cab window deflector,   quite rare to buy a s/h Clan with a whistle intact in my experience.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Premium

It always seems seems to me slightly odd, and perhaps a bit frivolous to have allocated names to locomotives that have not yet even been ordered - putting the cart before the horse (or perhaps the Horsa). Are there any other instances of this?  

• Like 1

It always seems seems to me slightly odd, and perhaps a bit frivolous to have allocated names to locomotives that have not yet even been ordered - putting the cart before the horse (or perhaps the Horsa). Are there any other instances of this?  

The Maunsell "U" class engines that were built new as 2-6-0s were originally to have been "K" 2-6-4Ts, named after rivers....

Something in the back of my mind is saying Peppercorn pacifics.

In a book or an article by Mr Dow?

Bernard

• RMweb Gold

GWR manors, beyond 7830 had names allocated:

7830 Norton Manor, 7831 Ogwell Manor, 7832 Pimley Manor, 7833 Ramsbury Manor, 7834 Rodley Manor, 7835 Standen Manor, 7836 Sutton Manor, 7837 Thorton Manor, 7838 Widford Manor, and 7839 Wilcote Manor

Source: https://www.revolvy.com/main/index.php?s=GWR%207800%20Class

7828 Odney Manor was/is running as 7830 Norton Manor.

I am a bit suspicious of a seller who shows only one side of a model, but the seller says it is new, never removed from box, so if it is damaged I suppose Ebay would require a refund. I guess I'm being a bit negative having seen many similar models being sold 'as new' when parts are missing or broken. Such as this same seller's 72005 which has a whistle missing but is described as 'as new'.

Am I too fussy?

That said, these truly are astonishingly fine RTR 00 models, here is one of mine with hardly any editing...

post-7929-0-79248000-1522275127_thumb.jpg

photo edited, will remove if required

cheers

edit; a bit of a fantasy really, a clean Clan post-overhaul with lowered front lamp bracket...  ah well. :)

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

These Clans are fine models but the one I just unpacked another 72008 from an Ebay seller (Trainz) in the USA just sits on the track making a buzzing noise, several parts had fallen off, the front body-chassis retaining screw had fallen out (above the front bogie, accessible with bogie swivelled)    I have replaced the front retaining screw and one of the front hoses which had fallen out,  shipped in hard cardboard box with brown paper internal packing with as is common with sellers, the Hornby box hard up against two sides, I know the track and controller are good, other engines are fine.  Satan's plug is undamaged visually and snug and tight.

Is a buzzing noise symptomatic of anything? There is no visual damage to valve gear either. Just zero movement.  Other parts fallen out were cylinder drains both sides, front hose and AWS baffle. Vibration in transit I presume. 

Any ideas?   Maybe I'll put this in a more appropriate section. I'm just having my 'disappointed' reaction. I might have to return it to the USA from NZ  not cheap, it was US$140 to buy US$41 to get it here.   It would be a shame to send it back if there were simple checks I could do.  

Trainz say in their ad that they will refund if faulty or misrepresented, they described the model as in 'functional' condition. I wonder if they test-ran it? 

Ah well.

On the proposed SR 'Clans', I read somewhere that a couple may have been allocated to Bath Green Park. At least it gave me an excuse to get one for Gurney Slade.

post-15-0-59276100-1522305800_thumb.jpg

72012 Canute. Nameplate and smokebox door plate from Modelmaster Jackson Evans.

Going back to name of unbuilt locos, I'm sure I've seen a list of Western names from D1074 to D1099.

• Like 3

On the proposed SR 'Clans', I read somewhere that a couple may have been allocated to Bath Green Park. At least it gave me an excuse to get one for Gurney Slade.

attachicon.gifCanute.jpg

72012 Canute. Nameplate and smokebox door plate from Modelmaster Jackson Evans.

Going back to name of unbuilt locos, I'm sure I've seen a list of Western names from D1074 to D1099.

OT - but that pillbox is lovely. May I inquire as to where you obtained it?

GWR manors, beyond 7830 had names allocated:

7830 Norton Manor, 7831 Ogwell Manor, 7832 Pimley Manor, 7833 Ramsbury Manor, 7834 Rodley Manor, 7835 Standen Manor, 7836 Sutton Manor, 7837 Thorton Manor, 7838 Widford Manor, and 7839 Wilcote Manor

Source: https://www.revolvy.com/main/index.php?s=GWR%207800%20Class

7828 Odney Manor was/is running as 7830 Norton Manor.

Ramsbury Manor was allocated to 7829