SCARM modelling software

Mixy

Hello Paul,

The rolling stock that you created looks really good for the very basic options that SCARM allows for now with the figures interface - I like it :)

Of course, you can share what you've done. If you wish, you can send me the SCARM project file and I will upload it in separate article in the blog, so other users in UK and worldwide to be able to see these coaches and use them in their virtual SCARM layouts ;)

Mixy

And here is it – the new SCARM v. 0.9.19 :) Download it from www.scarm.info.

It contains many improvements and updates, together with some bugfixes. See the list with the most important changes in this version in the following SCARM Blog post – www.scarm.info/blog/general/scarm-v-0-9-19-released.

One new key feature is the ability to set user-defined joining tolerances and global minimum radius for all flex-tracks – see the new Edit tab in the Settings window. Also, all placed flex-tracks now are showing the dimensions of their sections and can be modified and divided after laying. I need to update the documentation about this, but in short, just select the flex, right click over it and use "Reshape" or "Split" commands from the context menu.

I hope that you will like the new release :) I already started to work over the next one ;)

Mixy

P.S. If "Check for Updates" feature in SCARM 0.9.18 reports that there is no newer version of the program, download the installer directly from the website. The old version info file may be cached on your PC and it will need some time that cache to expire. If the website also shows v. 0.9.18, press F5 key to refresh it.

Hi Mixy

Great to have the new release, the edit flexi-track feature is really good.

As you know I have been playing around with creating some rolling stock and so far I am pleased with the results.  However, I am having some difficulty with certain shapes like circles, cones and slopes.

I note that some of the inbuilt Figures and track pieces  like the Hornby Buffer Stop are created from multiple shapes including the ones I am after.  Looking at the object code in the associated Scarm text, file I can see that each shape is made up of multiple lines of thinks like TFigRect" or "TRailAccessory", "TSubAccessoryCircle", "TSubAccessory" etc.  I have pretty much (by trial and error) worked out what each numeric element of the the "TFigRec" and "TFigRoof" code do, but I am rather unsure how "TRailAccessory" works or how each element is made up.

Are you willing/able to let me know what the format is of each element and how they can be created?  How were these Figures created, did you do it by hand or did you use some other software?  As I mentioned previously, I have created a spreadsheet to help with the mass-production of visual objects and understanding the code format behind these will be a real advantage in extending this tool.  Obviously I am only after help on understating how to create objects and increasing the library of useful figures.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Paul

Hi Paul,

TRailAccessory statement is very complex and not finished yet. I am still changing it between the versions of SCARM. Some of the parameter combinations are not compatible, some parameters may be applied only in certain situations, some are even not working as planned and all this may lead to unstable work, broken 3D images and even crashes with unexpected errors. It is needed a lot of work in order to make all these to work fine. There is no ready documentation about this, so I will try to write something and will provide you with info in the next days. I appreciate your efforts to make SCARM world rich of figures and objects - I just cannot do this alone :) So please wait some more time - I will contact you again ;)

Mixy

Yep I do understand, I have written small bits of software (in VB) in the past and know the effort it takes!  Especially once it goes out in to the public domain, cos then everyone wants a new feature or bug fix and the like and sometimes forget that there is only one person behind the scenes. 

No worries on the infor for TRailAccessory, I guess I was sort of expecting you to say it comes out of some other software tool you have used for the 3d drafting, rather than something you have developed from scratch!! So does this mean that you have drawn all the current objects yourself?  Even all the track!!  if so wow  :O

Anyway, I am very impressed in what you have done so far and no worries on the info, only if you have time.

Paul 

IMPORTANT – a new bug-fix update SCARM v. 0.9.20 was released today. Download it from [url=]http://www.scarm.info[/url] and install it to patch the old version of the program.

The latest version fixes two critical bugs, found in v.0.9.19.

The first issue is connected with the procedure for removing doubled control points in the baseboard and the figures, which can cause problems with shapes, containing holes inside. This should be now fixed and the holes will not be affected as before.

The second bug is related to the flex-tracks and user-defined minimum radius in the settings, introduced in v. 0.9.19. It may cause previously saved project files, containing flex-tracks to be loaded incorrectly, with flex-sections disconnected and/or reshaped to the bigger user-defined minimum radius. The issue also affects copy/paste of these flex-tracks. This is now solved and the user setting will not interfere with the flex-tracks already placed, saved or copied and pasted from the clipboard anymore.

I am really sorry if these errors are caused you troubles in your work with SCARM. I cannot guarantee that something like this will not happen again, but I can promise that my reaction to the tracked problems will be as fast as possible. Always report possible bugs in the SCARM Blog or by SCARM e-mail and I will check the potential problem and will make the necessary fixes and changes in the program code.

See the list with all changes and fixes in this version in the following SCARM Blog post – http://www.scarm.info/blog/general/scarm-v-0-9-20-released-bug-fix-update.

I hope that you will like the new release and will forgive me for the eventual problems with the previous version of SCARM :)

Mixy

P.S. If "Check for Updates" feature in SCARM 0.9.19 reports that there is no newer version of the program, download the installer directly from the website. The old version info file may be cached on your PC and it will need some time that cache to expire. If the website also shows v. 0.9.19, press F5 key to refresh it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello again :)

The new SCARM v. 0.9.21 is ready and published on http://www.scarm.info.

It comes with new features, new and updated libraries, some bugfixes and many improvements. The most important new feature is flex-track automatic point-to-snap-and-join function with auto shaping of the curved part. See more about this update in the SCARM Blog post SCARM v. 0.9.21 Released. There is also a short demo clip, showing how fast and easy is now the flex-track joining to the other tracks on the layout.

I hope that you will like the new version of SCARM and also hope that next one will come soon ;)

Look also the list of SCARM Blog posts for July: www.scarm.info/blog/2013/07. There is an article about the possibility for Running SCARM on Apple Mac - it may be interesting for many of you, who want to try installing and use SCARM on Macintosh computers.

Mixy

IMPORTANT!

There is an issue with SCARM 0.9.21 that may affect Copy/Paste functionality in the program on certain PCs. Please upgrade to SCARM 0.9.22, which was released today on www.scarm.info to fix the problem.

The new version also enables offline documentation and Parts List to be displayed on Windows 8 PCs. See more about this bugfix update in the following blog post: SCARM v. 0.9.22 Released.

I am sorry if these bugs caused any problems and inconvenience in your work with SCARM. If you see another problems, please report them here or in SCARM Blog and I will try to fix them ASAP.

Mixy

• 2 months later...

Hello all :)

Here are the SCARM blog posts for September and October.

The N gauge was on focus for the last month in the blog.

See the post about L-shaped Minitrix Layout in N-scale From Germany and do not miss the article and movie for the already builded Full-Featured N-scale Layout With Kato Unitrack Tracks, designed in SCARM by Didier Watson ;)

Mixy

• 2 weeks later...

The new SCARM v. 0.9.23 is ready – download it from www.scarm.info :)

It comes with several new features, many updated libraries, some bugfixes and improved functionality. The most important new features are Background image, the Ballast roadbed in 2D and Track Heights numeric input.

See about the new features and more about this update in the SCARM Blog post SCARM v. 0.9.23 Released.

I hope that you will like the new version of SCARM and also hope that next one will come soon ;)

Mixy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I used to use XtrkCAD but I was convinced that some of the PECO geometry was wrong so decided to give SCARM another go. (I had tried it once but having gotten used to XtrkCAD gave up pretty easily.)

I'm very glad I gave it another go! I absolutely love the 3D rendering as well. I just have two relatively minor issues. I am in the habit of hitting Esc to deselect on XtrkCAD. On SCARM this seems to stop the arrow keys from allowing me to moving around the layout. The other minor issue is that I would like more 00 rolling stock to dress the layout with.

Keep up the good work.

Hello Sub39h,

I am glad that you like SCARM :)

Thank you for the notes. I will check the bug with Esc key and it will be solved in the upcoming new release of SCARM.

About the rolling stock - check this post in the blog: UK Passenger And Freight Coaches in 00 scale. I am working on more figure shaping and editing options and more rolling stock will come in the near future ;)

Mixy

Thanks for your reply. I had another suggestion - it may be quite tricky to implement but it would be nice to be able to use the measuring tape in 3D mode. In regards to the 00 stock I have seen what you have provided already. I would love it if maybe a HST and Class 37 were added to the rolling stock.

Keep up the good work. 

Adding a measure tape in 3D will be really difficult as the screen is 2D and there is no way to obtain the distances in all camera positions, so I cannot promise anything here.

However, I will try to research the rolling stock, but will ask for some help as I am not familiar with the models in various countries. If you have some links with information and pictures about wished locos and coaches to be seen in SCARM, post them here :)

Mixy

In regards to the 00 stock I have seen what you have provided already. I would love it if maybe a HST and Class 37 were added to the rolling stock.

Hi sub39h

Glad to have you on board with Scarm.

I am the author of the UK (OO) rolling stock items for SCARM.  I got halfway thou with a class 37, which I will try to finish soon if you would like.  In the mean time here is a class 20 in BR Blue.

The SCARM code for the loco, is as follows:

TFigGroup||||16 Description
  TFigRoof||||-8;0|-8;0|136|23|52|136|7|57|5|0|6439424|0          Body Roof
  TFigRoof||||72;0|72;0|24|33|50|23.9|7|57|7|0|6439424|0         Cab Roof
  TFigRoof||||-79;0|-77;0|6|23|52|3|7|57|5|0|437736|0                Nose End Roof
  TFigRoof||||85;0|85;0|2|33|50|2|7|57|1|0|437736|0                  Cab End Roof
  TFigRoof||||85;0|85;0|2|33|50|1|7|57|-10|0|437736|0               Cab End Roof
  TFigRect||||-79;0;26|6;23;26|0|437736|0|0|0                           Nose End
  TFigRect||||85;0;26|2;33;24|0|437736|0|0|0                            Cab End
  TFigRect||||66;0;40|9;34;7|0|6842472|0|0|0                            Window
  TFigRect||||72;0;26|24;33;24|0|6439424|0|0|0                        Cab
  TFigRect||||-8;0;52|136;23;0|0|6439424|0|0|0                         Body Upper
  TFigRect||||-8;0;52|136;23;0|0|6439424|0|0|0                         Body Middle
  TFigRect||||-8;0;26|136;23;26|0|6439424|0|0|0                       Body Bottom
  TFigRect||||0;0;22|172;33;4|0|6439424|0|0|0                          Frame/Chassis
  TFigRect||||0;0;13|26;33;9|0|3355443|0|0|0                            Fuel Tank
  TFigRect||||-50;0;8|58;27;14|0|2697513|0|0|0                         Left wheel
  TFigRect||||50;0;8|58;27;14|0|2697513|0|0|0                          Right wheel

Copy this text in to a SCARM file *.scarm which can be opened in notepad.  (you will need to also delete the description text)

If you want to change the colours of the loco, the following two numbers need to be changed in the above code (all occurrences).  The file can be edited in Notepad.

437736 = Yellow

6439424 = BR Blue

Hope this all makes sense.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

You can place a full-length flex track, pointing to the joining place, fix it and then continue with a second flex track. You can use as many flex tracks as you wish. See one example here:

In the video, four flex tracks are placed one after another with just Space and left mouse clicks repeated one after another.

Mixy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

At last, the new SCARM v. 0.9.24 is ready and published, coming with the long-awaited feature for true roads with intersections, grades, various surface markings and more! See details about it here:

SCARM v. 0.9.24 Released

Hope you will like it ;)

Please note that the new version has many parts with rewritten code due to the new roads feature and this may also introduce some new bugs. If you encounter a problem, write about it here with the steps that will allow me to reproduce and check it.

Mixy

Archived