Fraudulant card use

mikeford2002uk

• RMweb Gold

I had a Paypal incident a few weeks back, two £435 "donations" apparently made by me. I noticed within 20 minutes and reported by starting a Paypal dispute. within two days they informed me to be shock and horror that the transactions were not fraudulent but from a "recognised" source, which of course was nonsense. It was incredibly difficult to get through to Paypal, and in the end my credit card registered to the account bailed me out when I reported the fraud (Virgin). The difference in customer interface between PP and Virgin were poles apart- top response from Virgin. I won't use Paypal again due to their response, but can you believe I can't shut my account as I need to provide new credit card details as the last one was cancelled due to the fraud! PayPal is incredibly convenient, but woe betide it if you have a problem.

Shame, it has put a stop to most of my eBay activity, but on the plus front saved a lot last month!

Neil

• RMweb Premium

You almost certainly have a Trojan or key logger in your computer which is possibly linked to the box shifter's website as this is leaky and a valuable source of card details. Too much of it and no extra security as a result and they will lose their credit card licence.

Hi

I have had several occurances of fraud on my card and although I can't prove anything I have a suspicion where my details are being used from. My computer does not have any viruses or key loggers.

Cheers

Paul

Rolling in it: Romanian gangs behind nine in ten cashpoint robberies rake in £30m a year

• More than 90 per cent of cash machine fraud in UK attributed to Romanian criminal gangs
  • Most of those arrested have links to the same city: Bacau in eastern Romania
  • Proceeds of crime 'now makes up 70 per cent of Bacau's economy

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2120049/Romanian-gangs-cashpoint-robberies-rake-30m-year.html

Hi

I have had several occurances of fraud on my card and although I can't prove anything I have a suspicion where my details are being used from. My computer does not have any viruses or key loggers.

Cheers

Paul

I had a similar instance a couple of years or so ago - but in that case it wasn't card fraud - but a key logger.

I too thought I hadn't got any viruses or trojans, after all I'd a monthly subscription to a well known internet security provider.

So I tried Ad-Aware * a freebie download from t'net - lo and behold a trojan detected !

When the details were reported to my bank's security team - they were not aware of this particular nasty, but a few minutes later confirmed that it was valid and not something made up by the freebie scanner.

When I reported it to the Internet Security (?) software provider they weren't interested, claiming that I couldn't have installed their software properly !

So just because you have internet security software, it don't mean you're protected, needless to say my subscription was cancelled.

* no association other than a satisfied user

I too will recommend Adaware - http://www.lavasoft.com/ - careful as there are some spoof downloads for it around; make sure you initially keep selecting the free option as you go through the process.

We also use Spybot which again catches things the others don't - http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Both will catch things McAfee is weak on; I personally prefer AVG to McAfee these days anyway but still have both running. http://www.avg.com/gb-en/homepage

Guest baldrick25

Run these 'detection' programs like Malwarebytes,Ad-Aware etc from SAFE MODE for best effect , after having downloaded the latest pattern files. Also do a full scan with the antivirus from SAFE MODE afterwards. If there is any doubt about your PC , download 'fresh copies of the software, de-install one at a time and re-install / update. I say this because some trojans are clever enough to seek out the antivirus etc and neutralise the detection and removal modes- so it looks like its doing the job and its actually doing nothing at all.

I had a similar instance a couple of years or so ago - but in that case it wasn't card fraud - but a key logger.

I too thought I hadn't got any viruses or trojans, after all I'd a monthly subscription to a well known internet security provider.

So I tried Ad-Aware * a freebie download from t'net - lo and behold a trojan detected !

When the details were reported to my bank's security team - they were not aware of this particular nasty, but a few minutes later confirmed that it was valid and not something made up by the freebie scanner.

When I reported it to the Internet Security (?) software provider they weren't interested, claiming that I couldn't have installed their software properly !

So just because you have internet security software, it don't mean you're protected, needless to say my subscription was cancelled.

* no association other than a satisfied user

Hi

Cheers

Paul

I had exactly the same sequence of events using a familiar Scottish name software which also slowed my computer to a crawl. In my case though it was Spybot Search and Destroy. Spybot also allows you to immunise files. I must say though that Windows 7 includes a free programme called Defender which regularly scans the registry for odd programmes. I have had no problems with Windows 7 and I use Firefox as a browser.

I had endless problems with IE and Windows XP.

I still remember my first scan with Spybot. No less than twenty nasties. I also think that Yahoo and indeed Google have had to sharpen their tools quite a lot with their pop up ads using much the same style of cookie. I know that early versions of Spybot actually blocked these ads but doesn't seem to now.

Apparently, these nasties tend to come from photographs and videos from untended or scam sites, hence my comment about the box shifter's site.

• 1 month later...

Just had a statement with 3 currency transactions on it - 1 to US dollars, 2 to Aussie dollars. Very annoying as my card was suspended earlier in the month due to some suspicious transactions (all were genuine). More worryingly is that I only use that card for model railway & paypal transactions. 2 recent ones were by phone and one of those has supplied only some of the order despite claiming to have all in stock when I phoned and more oddly have not charged me for what they did send

I now never use debit cards over the phone, the type were you read all the details and someone writes it down on a slip of paper to leave hanging around till the orders are processed,

I work in a small bookshop and we often take orders and payments over the phone, policy is that it is done straight away on the card machine while the customer is still on the phone. The only thing written down is the address. This way we can confirm that it's all gone through ok before the customer goes.

• 3 months later...

Just had my account frozen yesterday because some scrote tried twice to top up an O2 pay as you go phone from my account. I had £3 in cash on me, and was in Exeter about to head for home. Luckily I had a company fuel card or else I would have been out of luck by Bristol. I stopped the day before at a well known model shop because I was passing. It saved me the postage, but other people's experiences in this thread have made me suspicious.

EDIT: looks like it wasn't this shop, but more likely a preorder I made from another shop a few days earlier.

• RMweb Premium

Just had my account frozen yesterday because some scrote tried twice to top up an O2 pay as you go phone from my account. I had £3 in cash on me, and was in Exeter about to head for home. Luckily I had a company fuel card or else I would have been out of luck by Bristol. I stopped the day before at a well known model shop because I was passing. It saved me the postage, but other people's experiences in this thread have made me suspicious.

Its most likely that it was done before yesterday. Was the card out of your sight at any time in the last few weeks? Because that is where it was likely to have happened. If you have the number of the scrote's phone tell O2 what has happened and they will most likely cancel his phone.

It normally takes a bit of time to clone a card (not so easy for them to be traced that way) so I find it very unlikely it was the model shop that was the problem, where have you used the card over the last 2 months where the card was out of your sight even for just a few seconds, a skimmer can be fixed under a counter so it literally takes a second for the card to be skimmed.

Hotels, restaurants and pubs are favourite venues for this.

I agree. Of course the banks forced us down this route because chip and pin provides more security than a signature so THEY are less likely to lose out to fraud. Yes this added protection is passed on to the individual, but the bottom line is it protects bad debt write-offs on the balance sheet. Fraud was vastly reduced when chip and pin was introduced in Europe so it was natural that the UK would follow suit. The problem with signatures for transactions is that they very rarely look anything like the one on the back of the card - how carefully do most people sign the back of their new card only to scribble a rushed signature on a receipt? This means they are very easily forged and provides the card holder and retailer with very little protection.

before chip and pin (or Chippy McPin as I call it at work) I was told by various shops that I must re-sign my card as my signature had worn off (current card has 2 years left to run on it and the signature strip itself has worn off!)

however, doing so according to my bank at the time would invalidate my card so I used to always get asked for an alternative sample of my signature.

Chip and pin solves that

• RMweb Premium

I work in a small bookshop and we often take orders and payments over the phone, policy is that it is done straight away on the card machine while the customer is still on the phone. The only thing written down is the address. This way we can confirm that it's all gone through ok before the customer goes.

This procedure sounds eminently sensible, but I wonder how many shops suffer from gross complacency - you just don't know who has got your data if you put a phone order through. I generally use one particular deep south-western model shop. They have my card details on the system and I usually order via their website. If I do decide on a quick call I just tell them to use "the usual (credit card) number". So provided no one outside the shop has access to the system there shouldn't be a problem. There hasn't been.

Just a thought. When you 'phone your bank, insurer etc, they ask you a plethora of "security questions". I sometimes wonder whether we should ask them the same. After all, how do you really know you are talking to who you think you are? Paranoia, here I come!

Jeff

Just a thought. When you 'phone your bank, insurer etc, they ask you a plethora of "security questions". I sometimes wonder whether we should ask them the same. After all, how do you really know you are talking to who you think you are? Paranoia, here I come!

Jeff

Surely if you ring the bank then you know you are talking to a bank employee, but if the "bank" rings you then that is different.

PS I am not paranoid "they" are after me!

Archived