West Pickering, Craig's Canadian project

Craig Watson

Thanks Stephen, I didn't pick up the Athearn cab control car in the new livery as I knew they hadn't done any, I've got three originals anyway, the number they have produced their version in is one of the new cars too, the Athearn triple pack are all coaches too which is handy, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that someone does an end for the new cars on shapeways!!

Oh, i'm sure someone will at some point.  I've been asked/suggestold a couple of times that i should consider it amongst my various 3D modelling projects.  I may someday, I do potentially have a way to get access to the cars to measure them if i really wanted to for the new end.  Either way, the new ends would mean a lot of sanding on the Athearn cars to get rid of all the rivet detail since the new cars are fully welded construction.  Either way, whether i do, or someone else does, i suspect at some point in the coming years someone will either do a replacement shell or at least a cab end for the new cab cars.

Stephen

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Oh, i'm sure someone will at some point.  I've been asked/suggestold a couple of times that i should consider it amongst my various 3D modelling projects.  I may someday, I do potentially have a way to get access to the cars to measure them if i really wanted to for the new end.  Either way, the new ends would mean a lot of sanding on the Athearn cars to get rid of all the rivet detail since the new cars are fully welded construction.  Either way, whether i do, or someone else does, i suspect at some point in the coming years someone will either do a replacement shell or at least a cab end for the new cab cars.

Stephen

Yeah, fingers crossed they do, as you say there would be a fair bit of work involved!

Craig

• RMweb Premium

The layout was exhibited at St Andrews last weekend and seemed to go down well, tourist season was in full swing and we had a few Canadian visitors who were very complimentary about the layout, one even gave my son James a Canadian Pacific engineers hat!!

The layout ran well pretty much all weekend, the only major problem was that the speaker in one of my GO MP40's gave up the ghost and caused the decoder to stutter, the loco was substituted for the weekend by my Kaslo F59PH, the only problem being that its one of the rare non sound locos in the fleet!

The layout appeared under the banner of the Scottish Diesel and Electric group over the weekend with quite a few members coming along to help out, it was a good weekend enjoyed by all.

Next up is Ayr in September.

Some pics below.

Set up and ready to go.

post-291-0-36285000-1502351915_thumb.jpg

post-291-0-73874600-1502351942_thumb.jpg

F59PH 561 standing in for the failed MP40 641

post-291-0-18781400-1502351956_thumb.jpg

post-291-0-18599400-1502351974_thumb.jpg

I really need to label the control panel that excess height boxcars are barred from the warehouse siding!!

post-291-0-77064300-1502351983_thumb.jpg

post-291-0-11324200-1502352049_thumb.jpg

Checking the timetable!

post-291-0-52941600-1502352063_thumb.jpg

post-291-0-83902600-1502352073_thumb.jpg

post-291-0-98463600-1502352087_thumb.jpg

post-291-0-02229000-1502352103_thumb.jpg

post-291-0-96695600-1502352116_thumb.jpg

post-291-0-78051200-1502352126_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Craig

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting that the Kato N offering is hand painted, sort of indicates they don't think there is much of a market for the product.

Considering that, in N-scale, there are no coaches to run behind it except the 'erzatz' stainless cars from Con-Cor and that some Canadian N-scale modellers (well , at least one ;) ) consider the Canada 150 scheme to be ugly and a waste of vinyl... (and I've seen it in the flesh). And don't get me started on the Canada 150 Maple Leaf logo.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

Considering that most Canadians aren't aware of Canada 150 yet...

We have one of those locos through here every morning. The cars behind it are usually (LRC) business, 150 wrap, 2 standard (may be repaints or faded with flag). May have extra standard coach.

Considering that most Canadians aren't aware of Canada 150 yet...

Maybe in Ontario but visiting Winnipeg and Calgary in May/June the Canada 150 promotions and hype were everywhere. It was/is a big deal out west. 

• 2 weeks later...

If you want one move quick, according to Jason on another forum they are already 50% sold out.

Can't justify one personally and I've got over £1k of locos on order from them already. Not to mention a rather full goodie bag from PWRS that is due to ship next week. Shhh, don't let SWMBO find out. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

So I can finally confirm I have another exhibition invite for West Pickering, this time for its first outing south of the border!

The layout will be appearing at Railex North East in North Shields on the 28th and 29th of July 2018, really looking forward to this one!

Archived