Recommended iPhone / iTouch apps

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

As I'm surgically attached to my iTouch (or SWMBO seems to think...), I wondered what apps you feel you can't live without.

Please can you indicate what sort of app you're recommending, and whether it needs internet connection or not.

First up is 'Angry Birds', a downloaded game where you catapult different varieties of birds at some green frogs in various wood, ice and stone shelters.... The Lite version is free, the bought version really good.

Next is 'Trainyard', another downloaded game featuring harder and harder logic puzzles, matching coloured trains with their stations. Again, the Lite version is free, the bought version is so much harder.

Over to you.

A necessity for me is Tube Exits. As the name suggests, you enter your tube route and it tells you which carriage to get on at to be near the exits.

Trainyard looks fun though.

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

ones i cant be without......

whatsapp messenger (free photo messages etc)

dropbox, file sharing app, useful to get pics from phone to computer via wifi

battery saver, does what it says, and works too

multi unit converter, handy on a class 66 to convert train length from meters to feet for the train length reminder!

chiltern railways app, one of the better train times apps, nice and simple (like me)

my bus, bus stop finder and timetable

tvcatchup, freeview on the phone

netflix

natwest

ebay, handy for things you are watching, if you set a reminder for just before an auction ends you can jump in

subcard, yum yum, free subs with points

McDonalds, handy for finding the nearest "ah em......restaraunt" at 2am for a coffee (as i did tonight at banbury)

photobucket, upload straight to my album from the camera roll

quick lapse, time lapse video producer, very good HD vids

splice, add titles etc to videos and upload to youtube etc

lego movie, stop animation video producer, superb piece of kit, really great but time consuming fun

waze, "social media" sat nav, very good free nav app

flightradar24, live air traffic, see whats flying around you, used it the other while in alton towers when i spotted a big looking plane, it was an emerates A380 at 35000ft off to washington!

google maps, goes without saying really

pocket universe, star maps

games wise i like....

jetpack joyride

and the kids like.....

minion rush

dumb ways to die

turbo (snail racing)

plants vs zombies

and, as i call it, "bloody minecraft" my 9 year old is obsessed by it!

• RMweb Premium

The ones I find most useful,

National Rail Enquiries

BBC weather

Next Buses (it works out where you are then dispays a map showing the bus stops near your location, tap a bus stop and it shows the next departures fom that stop).

Tube Delux (London Underground, especially the display showing which lines are OK and which are disrupted).

Highway Agency, for traffic jams.

Aldi gives forhcoming bargins.

The only game I have is 'Ticket to Ride Pocket' this railway game is free and very addictive, but much better on ipad as the screen is bigger.

For me on my iPhone, it's

Sketchbookpro - finger drawing (Internet only needed for iCloud storage)

Facebook app

Twitter - travel updates and tech related stuff

Podcast app - listening to fav rail related podcasts

Runkeeper - for walking :)

Torch app on iOS 7

Autostitch Panorama

Camera+

BBC iPlayer

Night Sky

Dropbox

Omnifocus

1Password

360 Panorama

iRoc

WiThrottle Lite

Zipcar

WiScale - Teckno scales

Games

Absolute RC Plane Sim

Assassin's Creed

Battlefield

GTA

Command & Conquer

F-Sim Space Shuttle

Flight Control

Fruit Ninja

Harbour Master

Real Racing 2

and these are the most used, really should cull again :)

• 1 month later...

Must be quite SAD as I seem to have hardly any of these yet somehow have 6 pages full of clutter. Anyway simply for the benefit of praising some already mentioned and some not ...

In usee most days

Camera+ ... rather superior to the default photo app and somehow has survived the ios7 upgrade

Google Maps ... again superior to the US centric default Maps offering. but get used to being told to exit roundabouts long after you have negotiated them.

Compass ... just the thing for keeping your bearings when wandering through the woods at night!

Flashlight ... so you don't step in something you need to avoid in the woods at night!

Chirp ... for driving the dogs mental and passing messages/photos across a room.

Dolphin - because Safari is a pile of what you try to avoid stepping in at night.

ContactsTool ... to manage contacts despite Apple's best efforts to mess up one of the most essential apps.

IMAP Folders ... for email admin and rules to make all those unwanted messages go away.

Voice Memos ... for recording phone calls and anything else going on around you.

RedLaser ... for everything barcoded

Evernote

Dropbox

BBC iPlayer & iPlayer Radio

Classic FM

Jazz FM

Shazam ... for "name that tune"

Dragon ... cause everyone needs a secretary

eBooks & iBooks & Kindle - for when you get stuck in airports or have to endure public transport (strongly recommended are earphones and a zipped pocket)

Have a few others but as you can see no games (just do not have time to waste that way) and of course nothing to do with Facecrook or Twit messaging.

For me the main use is as for email on the move, then txt messages (a bit secondary to email for when one line will do) and then as a phone - what else?

• 3 years later...

Any decent apps related to the railway modelling world? Maybe a bit adventurous, but I love the idea of controlling my layout wirelessly from my iPad!

WiThrottle if you use JMRI.

TouchCab if you're a Lenz user.

Dare say some of the newer DCC systems have an app in the pipeline if not already available.

Archived