DLT's SR Locos - Lord Nelson Craftsman Kit

DLT

• RMweb Premium

The protrusion between the splashers is part of the frames, with the firebox fitting between them.  (Hmph. Just when you want a picture of a dismantled 4-4-0 you can't find one...)

Sorry, but are you sure? I don't know Southern locos, but on the very similar Caley locos and on NER and NBR locos that's not the frames you see but a protrusion of some sort. And in fact isn't it possible to see on prototype photos of your loco that the part between front and rear slasher is further out than the frames? - you can see the cut-out necessary in the rear splasher which is not necessary on the front splasher. 

Edited by Daddyman

• RMweb Premium

As an illustration to Daddyman's question, here are some photos.

Firstly, the footplate with the frames soldered in place.  Easy to do in one piece, and strong.

attachicon.gifIMG_2346 small.jpg

Secondly with the splashers etc on position, waiting to be soldered.

attachicon.gifIMG_2341 small.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_2341 CROP small.jpg

A lot less work this way (as long as I can get the soldering iron inside!) and the whole thing stays rigid during the process.

Cheers, Dave.

That's the right way to do it, the full size splashers are fitted outside the frames. For narrower gauges (00 & EM) you just have to cut away the frame portion inside the splasher. In answer to the later comment about visible frames being wider between the driving wheels this is not so, what you see is usually a cover over the firebox slides. The firebox end of the boiler can't be fastened to the frames, it has to be on slides to allow for expansion of the boiler, only the smokebox end is fixed. 

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Mike, that's put it better than I could.  Does that now make sense?

I found photos of a Schools having its boiler lowered into the frames a while ago, can't find it now!

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Mike, that's put it better than I could.  Does that now make sense?

I found photos of a Schools having its boiler lowered into the frames a while ago, can't find it now!

Cheers, Dave.

If I understand him, I think Mike is agreeing with my interpretation: it's not the frames that you see, but a wider cover - hence the cut-out in the front of the rear splashers but not in the front of the front splashers. I think, looking at a drawing of a Caley Jumbo, the cover may cover an angle iron, attached to the firebox cheeks, which is free to slide on top of the frames during expansion and contraction. 

Edited by Daddyman

The LSWR at Nine Elms - The Curl Collection, from KRB Publications has a series of views of an S11 under construction, which I suspect is very similar to a K10. Page 312 has a clear view of the boiler fitted in the frames, which probably answers your query, although I have to admit I haven't been able to fully understand the various points being made!

• RMweb Premium

The LSWR at Nine Elms - The Curl Collection, from KRB Publications has a series of views of an S11 under construction, which I suspect is very similar to a K10. Page 312 has a clear view of the boiler fitted in the frames, which probably answers your query, although I have to admit I haven't been able to fully understand the various points being made!

Sorry for the confusion! My point was simply that: 

1. The tops of the frames are not visible between the front and rear splasher. 

2. The thing that is visible, often mistaken for frames, is wider (protrudes further into the footplate) than the frames. 

That was not the way Dave had it set up in post 1149. 

Sorry for the confusion! My point was simply that: 

1. The tops of the frames are not visible between the front and rear splasher. 

2. The thing that is visible, often mistaken for frames, is wider (protrudes further into the footplate) than the frames. 

That was not the way Dave had it set up in post 1149.

Sorry for being slow to see the point. I obviously had missed Michael Edge's succinct description of the situation. The coupling rod splasher on the larger wheeled types, such as T9 hides this bit, so it's not familiar. However, looking further through The Curl Collection I noticed that the 700 Class had boxes in a similar location, which I assume serve the same purpose. They are much more prominent, since the smaller wheels means there was a large gap between the middle splasher and the cab front.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have at last soldered the splashers and cab to the footplate, so we have a complete assembly to move on with.

the etched boiler came pre-rolled, badly, so I've straightened it out a bit and run it through my GWmodels rollers.  Then comes the area with the most trial-and-error; bending out the firebox sides and fitting them to the cab-front and splashers.  This takes quite a lot of bit-by-bit bending and filing to make it fit.  No short-cuts!

The interior diameter of the boiler is approximately 18.5mm, but the etched discs in the kit which (I presume) are meant to be soldered inside the boiler are only 17mm diameter.  So I'm not sure whats happening there!

New discs are easy enough, I scribe a circle with a pair of dividers and then carefully cut & file up to the line.  I will probably then solder up the boiler as I did with the E5X, on page 36 of this thread:  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/2359-dlts-sr-locos-k10-from-a-very-old-kit/page-36

Cheers, Dave.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Boiler seems (at last) to fit, without leaning up or down, or pointing diagonally across the footplate!

Nest issue; the smokebox front "wingplate" is too small.  The curvature matches the smokebox WITHOUT the wrapper in place.  And no, its meant to go inside the wrapper.

So next job, new smokebox front.

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Premium

As described earlier, the boiler needed lots of trial and error tweaking to get the bends in the firebox to fit. 

Dimensionally its really good; supported by the firebox sides and smokebox wrapper, the boiler sits horizontally and at the correct height above the footplate.

1304783673_IMG_2354small.jpg.826366a591be8b8b7231bae267f4badb.jpg

1682248098_IMG_2352small.jpg.850120f30483e11018c186b163907823.jpg

1390527112_IMG_2350small.jpg.be5dd3f7557028e26065aeee70864a3b.jpg

All that bending and filing felt worthwhile once everything mated up well, and without too many gaps.

1692721067_IMG_2348small.jpg.bf7f76700730ac282af3c8e87eb6285f.jpg

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

So, remind me Dave, what proportion of kit parts - that were not already missing - actually fit and do not need re-making?

Not many, I imagine!   Tony

More than you might think actually!  In the photos above, the bufferbeams, valences, frames and footplate are from the kit (although I extended it slightly) as are the boiler and smokebox wrapper.

Only the cab and splashers are scratchbuilt, along with the covers over the frames, and the boiler internal discs.

The kit could be built as it came and made a very nice model, but building a chassis from scratch showed up the dimensional issues in the bodywork.

Cheers, Dave.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The etched smokebox wingplate supplied with the kit was a bit undersized, and of a slightly dubious shape.  Fortunately Bradley contained a very nice front-on photo of a K10, and from a scan of it I cropped this picture:

1635061619_343FrontCROP2SHOPPEDsmall.jpg.d498ea307808f71a351749ffb60c0a1b.jpg

I then printed it to scale size (or as close as I could) and used it as a template to mark out a new one, and compared to the one from the kit.

1163951004_IMG_2357small.jpg.644201a26739ad51343fe0840ba23329.jpg

1828352827_IMG_2363small.jpg.5b6f94b02b5dfbd1fd00e92884dba6c8.jpg

A disc of pcb that fits into the smokebox front has been fixed, this will locate the wingplate, and all will be Araldited together.

1205645192_IMG_2367small.jpg.78a02f55d676076641d3f240cd51ce8f.jpg

The front is still slightly oversize, and will be filed down once finally fixed.

1111541873_IMG_2370small.jpg.fabf40e2f28bbf45f7bc046d4d824125.jpg

763251348_IMG_2369small.jpg.6362b2980e54bbeea7ab05623c7df388.jpg

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Smokebox wingplate is fitted and shaped, boiler properly fitted around cab and splashers, and I've added the cab spectacles.  Initially I tried the etched versions from the kit, but they were a) too small in diameter, and b) so delicate that I couldn't get them off the fret without serious distortion.  So I've made my own, by the fairly simple method I described (in 7mm) on my Narrow Gauge thread a little while ago.  See this page:  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/35253-dlts-ng-workbench-new-hunslet-again/page-21

Obviously I've used smaller wire (.45mm) around a smaller former (4mm) and its ended up looking like this

1047258865_IMG_2386small.jpg.a73436de2e46fb2d9a66afcbcae3fb97.jpg

997617877_IMG_2387small.jpg.8af22c3297a9f57c1db49bd792b04236.jpg

Next job is the bogie, and this is my progress so far.

2129316976_IMG_2393small.jpg.c90deeca9f014a655460b43fc5576536.jpg

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Bryan,

I'm trying to use as much of the kit as possible, but there are significant bits missing.  What castings that are present are very good, but I'm going to have to source a lot elsewhere.  Of the boiler fittings, there's a smokebox door and very nice brass chimney and dome, but that's about it. (there's a pair of clack valves, but they bear no resemblance to the prototype)  I think a call to Mr SEFinecast is needed, for the injectors and everything associated with them.  Possibly some cab fittings as well.

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Er well, we have two bogie sides. 

I won't detail how they were done as I wouldn't recommend the amount of filing, fiddling and bending that has gone into it.

I think they look ok, but you're probably not going to see much of them when on the loco.

1820241183_IMG_2401small.jpg.6f85d6284810d6d694da99cf8e2f6e14.jpg

353691535_IMG_2398small.jpg.df94480daf8e17ef7052834318d57891.jpg

We'll see what they look like when fixed to a stretcher and have wheels attached. 

Quick note to self; be sure to use low-melt solder when attaching the stretcher, there's a lot of solder assembly in the sideframes, it would not be a good idea to melt it all again...

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

For the centre stretcher of the bogie I needed a strip of brass 11.5mm wide, and a peice of left-over etch came closest.  Once filed to the correct width, I put two bends in it.

1710942464_IMG_2407small.jpg.85b32807dfca201ead89efe5f1dd3f89.jpg

This then fitted between the bogie sides, with axles through the bearings to ensure accuracy.

1487219895_IMG_2406small.jpg.e3720de0ae70afc6fe667e17cbf642b0.jpg

Large blobs of 145 degree solder fixed everything together.

2043895650_IMG_2410small.jpg.5852c25080c9bb540b3c56e3fcfcf8a2.jpg

All I've got to do now is mount it on the loco.....

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

For the centre stretcher of the bogie I needed a strip of brass 11.5mm wide, and a peice of left-over etch came closest.  Once filed to the correct width, I put two bends in it.

attachicon.gifIMG_2407 small.jpg

This then fittede between the bogie sides, with axles through the bearings to ensure accuracy.

attachicon.gifIMG_2406 small.jpg

Large blobs of 145 degree solder fixed everything together.

attachicon.gifIMG_2410 small.jpg

All I've got to do now is mount it on the loco.....

Cheers, Dave.

Dave, whose wheels are those?

Tim T