DLT's SR Locos - Lord Nelson Craftsman Kit

DLT

I found when I modelled in EM gauge I put a fixed pivot on the bogie at about the rear axle and put a curved slot where the pivot normally went. This stoped the rear wheel on the bogie moving side to side. I generally found with a spring to push the bogie down and some side control, it remove the tendancy for the bogie wheels to hit everything.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I found when I modelled in EM gauge I put a fixed pivot on the bogie at about the rear axle and put a curved slot where the pivot normally went. This stoped the rear wheel on the bogie moving side to side. I generally found with a spring to push the bogie down and some side control, it remove the tendancy for the bogie wheels to hit everything.

Any chance of a pic of this or have you moved on since then?

Thanks, P @ 36E (ex 72A)

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
Well that's the S15 pretty much finished at last. There's always more that could be done, injector pipework under the cab for instance, and a bit more cab interior; plus its still awaiting its smokebox number-plate. I'm sure I'll get these done, but for now here's the photos.

Definitely not a Silk Purse, but not a Sow's Ear either. A good working "layout loco" that will look quite at home pulling a mainline goods or semi-fast passenger. When all is said and done I'm pretty pleased with it, considering the starting point. It was never going to be fully accurate, but if I wanted to get to there, I wouldn't have started from here!

569001997_P1050493small.jpg.19fd9840033cdb7d04aa41e0898a35e8.jpg

1337254924_P1050495small.jpg.1b59ad1b1ae969c7e3fd1460ca2b3f6f.jpg

625893313_P1050496small.jpg.809f056a57f04d3ff01e27fed35ffb69.jpg

1492787304_P1050498small.jpg.fbdc2a560e798f1d9ecd0bbd9a93f06b.jpg

686363287_P1050500small.jpg.445728a7479425638e33ffed89f4d4ff.jpg

1941450431_P1050501small.jpg.56c0b7724bc712afbe169cb69ab8f20e.jpg

1222585896_P1050503small.jpg.4999310394a6aec1f09ada1b3f7114a8.jpg

150879777_P1050504small.jpg.d978a253694d6442b12d82c8e0aa4d7f.jpg

558074042_P1050506small.jpg.81d99643d4c0acb99357504eec80c970.jpg

795814025_P1050507small.jpg.c7780253930a9e47ab02628b8b3d4b65.jpg

Sorry there's so many photos, but I couldn't decide which ones to leave out!

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

...and today's shock news from Margate is....................... the release of the long awaited S15 in BR black with late crest..........(only kidding). That is one smart looking machine Dave. A really interesting build this and lovely finish; congratulations.

Will I ever get round to doing my PDK version? Maybe if I get a layout to run it on. Who knows?

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Similar warning also applies to the MT detail etch for the Bachmann Maunsell Mogul. Most of it is usable, but the cosmetic frame overlays are a complete non-starter.

Something seems to have been lost in translation either when the artwork was drawn up, or when it went to the etchers.

Just catching up on this thread (love the S15, particularly with deflectors on).... I have a couple of sets of these MT Mogul detailing sets HT and, having looked at the side frames on the etch, was wondering how to proceed. Any advice HT?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the comments and "likes" guys, all very encouraging.

Looking at the loco again the cab now seems very bare compared to the rest; so it definitely needs some work.

Please can anyone suggest where I can obtain a replacement backhead?  This would go a long way towards improving the finish.

I've trawled a couple of internet catalogues, but haven't found one listed yet.

Thanks very much for any advice you can offer,

Dave.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

How about Southeast Finecast? The don't do an S15 but they have three different N15s, may be a good starting point. They do spares very reasonably.

Thanks very much, I'll give them a try.

Dave.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
The U-Class and S15 have finally been delivered to their new Home Shed.  I was actually quite sorry to see the U go, I think its one of my best efforts to date and I would like to have kept it. 

I have a couple of further SR loco projects up my sleeve, one is resurrecting and old part built Nu-Cast Adams A12 "Jubilee" kit, that came from a late friend's collection.  Its a body only (the kit chassis is very basic) so it will probably be Gibson wheels and coupling rods, (and I think he does a frame as well) and most likely my usual Mashima/Highlevel drive.

All helped on by my recent book purchase, "The Adams Classes" in the Bradley/Wild Swan LSWR loco series; the volume that has eluded me for several years.  

Cheers, Dave.
  • Like 1

..... I have a couple of sets of these MT Mogul detailing sets HT and, having looked at the side frames on the etch, was wondering how to proceed. Any advice HT?

Just caught up with this.

I think the only realistic way you can use the overlays is to split them into three sections, with each section centrally matching the hornblock / axle position on the Bachmann chassis. It's a shame, really, the rivet detail is neatly done, and I thought I'd be able to use them as overlays to really lift the excellent SEF etched chassis (which is correct).

Guest Belgian

...and today's shock news from Margate is....................... the release of the long awaited S15 in BR black with late crest..........(only kidding). That is one smart looking machine Dave. A really interesting build this and lovely finish; congratulations.

Will I ever get round to doing my PDK version? Maybe if I get a layout to run it on. Who knows?

P

That's for next year, along with the 700 and Original Merchant Navy!

JE

Edited by Belgian

• RMweb Premium

...and today's shock news from Margate is....................... the release of the long awaited S15 in BR black with late crest...

That's for next year, along with the 700 and Original Merchant Navy!

JE

Story of my life!

• RMweb Premium

A first look at the Jubilee kit shows what are actually some very nice castings, rather poorly put together.  As far as I can see, when comparing to existing drawings, it looks pretty accurate.  I think Nu-Cast kits were considered pretty good in their day, and look to have stood the test of time.

1611253449_IMG_3910small.jpg.32b6d30626f207002173732f55d405a6.jpg

The chassis however is very basic by todays standards, and this is all I've got of it.  Whatever else was included has disappeared.

1241068690_IMG_3911small.jpg.cf9c0a2db19401394d8b49b0e9a9ebbd.jpg

Here's a first; what I thought were large blobs and smears of Araldite holding everything together turned out to be Evo-Stick Impact Glue!  

First time I've ever come accross a whitemetal kit put together that way.  The advantage of course is that it only took a couple of brushfulls of White Spirit around the joins and it all pulled apart after a couple of minutes.

1878426123_IMG_3912small.jpg.e9014467441991bf7ec259e7ed03d09d.jpg

Thats all for now.

Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

Nice job on the S15, although you didn't undertake to correct all the known dimensional errors i still think the results look good and certainly still captures the character of the original.

I shall be interested in the A12 renovation, mine is below and uses a small Mashima with a Comet gearbox and small flywheel but the haulage capacity is not great so if your motor gearbox arrange achieves better results I might well follow suit.

post-243-0-35964600-1378371689_thumb.jpg

For my modelling period she should really be in unlined black but hadn't the heart to do it...

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Hi Graham, good to hear from you.  

I'm assuming (haven't checked yet) that I can get a small Mashima and Highlevel combination in the firebox driving on the rear coupled wheels.  In which case I can fill in the missing bit of boiler underside between the splashers,and pack it with lead.  Did you use the kit chassis as it stood?

All the best, Dave.

• RMweb Gold

HI Dave

Yes I used the kit chassis,  without going away and looking at the model again I cant remember off hand which axle she currently drives off I think its the front. I will check tonight if I get time.

Edited by Graham_Muz

• RMweb Premium

Using the Highlevel Gearbox Planner, theres plenty of room for a 1420 Mashima in the firebox, attached to a RoadrunnerPlus or SlimlinerPlus on the rear driving axle, with the swinging arm folding back underneath.  You might even squeeze a 1424 in.

This leaves the front part of the boiler free, allowing the missing bottom to be filled in and the whole thing packed with lead.

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Having spent quite a time cleaning glue off this kit (after soaking it in white spirit) I can upgrade my opinion of the castings from "very nice" to "excellent".  The whole thing is very well thought out and executed, and the castings fit together beautifully; some even locking together.

Cheers, Dave.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Have you made any further progress with this A12 ? 

Hi Chris,

Yes, a little.  I came up against a couple of problems that were NOT of the kit's making, more to do with the missing bits and some faulty replacements I bought in.

I will be updating shortly though.

Sorry for the delay, all the best,

Dave.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

After rather too long a gap, the Jubilee build is up and running again!

Having found various drawings of this loco, none of them showed exactly what I wanted, which was the frame dimensions.

In the end I took a practical approach.  I scanned the General Arrangement drawing and printed it as large as I could.  The I drew around the outline of the mainframes with red ink, re-scanned the new drawing and printed it out at scale size.  To actually make the frames I soldered two bits of nickel silver together, and stuck the appropriate part of the drawing to them.  Then it was a matter of cutting, drilling and filing out the frames according to the red outline on the drawing.

680044859_IMG_2991small.jpg.c783e8feef1ad4fc9f1a85195b9c2df5.jpg

1395463127_IMG_3007small.jpg.be3c8544784b24c63966448c733d47b3.jpg

1728179522_IMG_3012small.jpg.e0ca7bf69945e24525f8cb20ac1a6321.jpg

Hope all that's clear, this method isn't entirely accurate, but its pretty good, especially when you've got a complicated set up like these Adams underhung springs and equalising beams.  As much of it is behind the wheels, the lack of complete accuracy isn't too great an issue.

The axle holes were marked out on the frames properly, rather than relying on the drawing.  The GA came from LSWR Locomotives - The Adams Classes, D.L.Bradley, Wild Swan.

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 4

Looks like I will need to get my Bradleys over here ready for when I do my 7mm one.

Your set of frames look good. I do like the sticking the drawing to the work method. You just need to make sure you have enough copies when you start as reprints are often a different size.

A first look at the Jubilee kit shows what are actually some very nice castings, rather poorly put together.  As far as I can see, when comparing to existing drawings, it looks pretty accurate.  I think Nu-Cast kits were considered pretty good in their day, and look to have stood the test of time.

attachicon.gifIMG_3910 small.jpg

The chassis however is very basic by todays standards, and this is all I've got of it.  Whatever else was included has disappeared.

attachicon.gifIMG_3911 small.jpg

Here's a first; what I thought were large blobs and smears of Araldite holding everything together turned out to be Evo-Stick Impact Glue!  

First time I've ever come accross a whitemetal kit put together that way.  The advantage of course is that it only took a couple of brushfulls of White Spirit around the joins and it all pulled apart after a couple of minutes.

attachicon.gifIMG_3912 small.jpg

Thats all for now.

Dave.

Dave

From what I can remember in the 60's impact adhesive (Bostic, Evostic etc) was the recommended glue. Earlier than that I think a glue beginning with the letter D was used. The first Epoxy glue I can remember was Devcon