DLT's SR Locos - Lord Nelson Craftsman Kit

DLT

• RMweb Premium

Is this the water based one or solvent. As the trouble with varnish varnish it yellows with age, not to bad on colours but bad on whites.

It's Polyurethane Ultra Tough Hard Glaze. You mix it with white spirit - does that mean it's solvent-based? I doubt Ian would use it on his customers' models or recommend it if it yellowed. 

I guess this all paints (sorry "points") to the inevitable conclusion that I have to get to grips with the Airbrush I bought some years ago, and have never learnt to use....

Dave,

It astonishes me that you can build models to such a high standard, but have not mastered the airbrush! That being said, your brush painting is very, very good. If someone as ham-fisted as myself can use an airbrush, I highly doubt it would be much of a challenge for yourself. Possibly a bit of a learning curve, but I doubt nothing you couldn't handle.

Now that I've persuaded you, Let me know how you get on!  ;)

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the varnishing advice, and thank you Jack, I feel suitably chastised! 

I WILL get to grips with the airbrush...

In the meantime, I've been fiddling around with sandbox fillers, and ended up with this.

A length of 2mm brass rod was annealed by heating it on the gas barbecue to soften it.  A bit of trial and error produced a couple of suitable S-bends.  A strip of thin brass was wrapped around above the bends and soldered in place; looking like this.

156264730_IMG_3166small.jpg.0b59533c03f6505e70df8dfe152c42cf.jpg

That's one of the earlier rejects at the top.

When cut and filed down it looks more like this

2041008221_IMG_3176small.jpg.5d4fb57fe998df58418ce21761040407.jpg

And attached to the loco (temporarily, with Blue-Tack)

434686700_IMG_3180small.jpg.6ed2486be736872c3a98d82bbcd4412d.jpg

It needs more filing to shape and blackening before final fixing.

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Right, here's the current state of play with the K10; ready for some lining and lettering.

1930951719_P1070393small.jpg.021ca74e107eac31d9ed47a701e1ee09.jpg

267740021_P1070394small.jpg.d9925a1533e51c08e68fb27698cbd0f1.jpg

I'm using the HMRS Pressfix sheet of LNER loco lining; the only one that provides black and white.  The photos below show my try-outs on an old H0 body supplied by my friendly-neighborhood Model Shop.

Due to a slight mismatch in the printing, the black-white-black boiler lining appears uneven, with one white line looking thicker than the other.  However when applied to the model this apparent discrepancy seems to disappear.

Here I'm trying out the white-black-white and the black-white to see if there's any difference on the model:

923785038_P1070397small.jpg.49d1dcd72cea836991854844a60217bc.jpg

With the black touched in with Humbrol 85 Satin Black, applied by brush, the result looks fine to me!

1997953263_P1070399small.jpg.b87f40bc562a95cd0943b94a892c573a.jpg

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave.

Just catching up with the thread.

I must say the K10 ran beautifully on Mutton at Taunton and looked an absolute delight.

Looking forward to seeing the lined and lettered finale.

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much Rob, I thought it looked very "at home" on Mutton, thanks for giving it a run.

Looking forward to seeing the lined and lettered finale.

Me too !

Cheers, Dave.

Thanks for all the varnishing advice, and thank you Jack, I feel suitably chastised! 

I WILL get to grips with the airbrush...

In the meantime, I've been fiddling around with sandbox fillers, and ended up with this.

A length of 2mm brass rod was annealed by heating it on the gas barbecue to soften it.  A bit of trial and error produced a couple of suitable S-bends.  A strip of thin brass was wrapped around above the bends and soldered in place; looking like this.

attachicon.gifIMG_3166 small.jpg

That's one of the earlier rejects at the top.

When cut and filed down it looks more like this

attachicon.gifIMG_3176 small.jpg

And attached to the loco (temporarily, with Blue-Tack)

attachicon.gifIMG_3180 small.jpg

It needs more filing to shape and blackening before final fixing.

Cheers, Dave.

Seeing this lot makes me glad that I’m modelling the ex Taff Vale lines in South Wales!

Tim T

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

At long last, some progress with the lining, using the HMRS LNER Loco Lining sheet.

It was a bit of a game lining around the curves of the cabsides, but luckily the sheet had something to an approximate shape which could be persuaded (prodded and poked) into position.

As described earlier, the black borders will be filled in by brush, and the extra white lines will be covered at well.

1676736695_IMG_3193small.jpg.a3d7048c5549b1853c69c0422ed601f9.jpg

421615948_IMG_3198small.jpg.6cbf45aaa8d564f1b84afd8cc2e2380f.jpg

1684855102_IMG_3205small.jpg.076bd7a1599812a725f697f6db9e42cd.jpg

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

At long last, some progress with the lining, using the HMRS LNER Loco Lining sheet.

It was a bit of a game lining around the curves of the cabsides, but luckily the sheet had something to an approximate shape which could be persuaded (prodded and poked) INTO POSITION..

As described earlier, the black borders will be filled in by brush, and the extra white lines will be covered at well.

attachicon.gifIMG_3193 small.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_3198 small.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_3205 small.jpg

Cheers, Dave.

Very Nice Dave like the way you use the lining, which I had thought of in in my 4mm days.

Only a minor question which I do not know the answer to. I thought the tender frames were green and lined on SR green loco's, or is that just certain classes?

• RMweb Premium

Very Nice Dave like the way you use the lining, which I had thought of in in my 4mm days.

Only a minor question which I do not know the answer to. I thought the tender frames were green and lined on SR green loco's, or is that just certain classes?

Thanks Peter, its like the way I adapted the GWR lining on my narrow-gauge locos:  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/35253-dlts-ng-workbench-new-hunslet-again/page-20

As for the tender underframes, they certainly appear to be green and lined in the early Maunsell Olive livery, but the later period it appears not.  Close examination of all the lined K10 (and L11) photos I've found shows a distinct lack of lining on the frames on many of them, even allowing for dirt. (As per the Hornby T9:  http://www.hattons.co.uk/22937/Hornby_R2711_Class_T9_Greyhound_4_4_0_729_in_1936_SR_Green/StockDetail.aspx)  Of course tenders were swapped around a lot, tender history is often more convoluted than the locos.  Valance and footstep lining DID continue, and thats the next job...  I don't know what the "official" policy was, perhaps Graham Muz can enlighten us?

Cheers, Dave.

• Like 2

Dave

Sorry to complicate things. I think they were green here's a picture of 390. I am still looking but at the moment it seems to me that E prefixed locos had green frames.

post-13601-0-11839900-1527442904.jpg

And a clearer one here.

post-13601-0-63709700-1527445469_thumb.jpg

Edited by N15class
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

That's looking really excellent Dave, I'm sure Tony will be very pleased!

He already is!

Dave

Sorry to complicate things. I think they were green here's a picture of 390. I am still looking but at the moment it seems to me that E prefixed locos had green frames.

Not sure how you can tell from these pics that the frames were green, but for clarity the model will not have an "E" prefix as these were gone by the date modelled.

(Neverheless, I'll check what Bradley says and come back).

Tony

He already is!

Not sure how you can tell from these pics that the frames were green, but for clarity the model will not have an "E" prefix as these were gone by the date modelled.

(Neverheless, I'll check what Bradley says and come back).

Tony

Simple way to tell is that there is lining. SR did not line black frames only green ones. The lining can be seen in both pictures. So the frames have got to be green.

• RMweb Premium

Simple way to tell is that there is lining. SR did not line black frames only green ones. The lining can be seen in both pictures. So the frames have got to be green.

Quite so, but I'm very relieved that the model is in the later period with black frames.  Not sure I could face that lining!

Cheers, Dave.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A rather cruel enlargement, (please ignore all the dust)  but it shows that we are getting there!

130323625_IMG_3210small.jpg.e306baf69de0443b7e4c85515a2db031.jpg

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

These 3500 gallon tendered the LSWR used must of been a pain when getting low on coal. Lots of nice flat areas for it to get caught up on. Looks very nice. I do like the SR livery.

Crew comfort and convenience didn't come very high on the list of priorities; ergonomics hadn't been invented!

• Like 2

A rather cruel enlargement

I would disagree, looks very crisp and neat - Much like the factory finish only better! 

Although you seem to have lost a tender toolbox!

• RMweb Premium

Loco and tender lining is generally ok, but its achieving lining on the the valance and footsteps that have been giving me issues.

425667629_IMG_3215small.jpg.833dc2f2299a9d4afa196df0289a18aa.jpg

Having started with hand-lining the footsteps, (as I didnt think I would be able to manipulate such tiny pieces of Pressfix) my efforts were not great, so I have gone back to transfers, and saved the hand-lining for the curved ends of the valance.

There's still a line of black needed to finish off the curves, but on the whole I'm pleased with it:

756045592_IMG_3219small.jpg.ae5937019af1a5ad0ce9a2a1f8c13d13.jpg

At the cab end, the contrast with the hand lining on the tender (which now needs re-doing) is clear:

1045971996_IMG_3218small.jpg.b988987c4dedda555f0197d84b012731.jpg

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1