Trix wagon

relaxinghobby

The plastic underframe is renowned for its ability to run away on a 'level' surface.

)

This can be a bit of a problem, I've a rake of Trix coaches, if you leave them on there own in a siding next to the main line, they can cause derailments and collisions.

The passing main line trains causes the coaches to "creep" due to the vacuum created by a passing train, the coaches need an stationery engine to act as a brake.

I think I stuck a thin length of microstrip along the bottom edge of the body between the buffer beams to represent a curb rail.

I have done that too, but it doesn't look quite right because the iron work should continue on to and be bolted to it and not the bottom plank.

As to Trix scale, they were not too sure themselves as it varies from 1:90 to 1:76 (00) in their own literature.

IIRC they state that a Trix mile is 60' 6" in one of their Year Books (1956 I think). This works out as 1:87, but is definitely not the case, though the old coarse wagon wheels scale out at this (approximately).

I have done that too, but it doesn't look quite right because the iron work should continue on to and be bolted to it and not the bottom plank.

OK under the 3' rule.

And I'm a P4 modeller!

Until I get cashiered and drummed out............................

OK under the 3' rule.

omis

Unfortunately I find it's one of those things that, once noticed, sticks out like a sore thumb....

Perhaps I'm just overly pedantic. SWMBO says they're all the same (trains). I can't understand what she means. It's obvious that that even two BR 16T mineral wagons, for example, are clearly different. Neither wife nor daughter can see the point when I say "That's the wrong train!" (It nearly always is!), when we are watching a film or TV series (they love those period dramas...  :(  )

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately I find it's one of those things that, once noticed, sticks out like a sore thumb....

Perhaps I'm just overly pedantic. SWMBO says they're all the same (trains). I can't understand what she means. It's obvious that that even two BR 16T mineral wagons, for example, are clearly different. Neither wife nor daughter can see the point when I say "That's the wrong train!" (It nearly always is!), when we are watching a film or TV series (they love those period dramas...  :(  )

Agree with that.

When Flying Scotsman came out to Australia in 1987/88 (was it really 30 years ago!), Mrs kevinlms & I went for a trip on it, with parallel running on the Broad Gauge.

Afterwards, I asked her what she thought of the differences. She asked what the difference was.

Can anyone see any difference between the Flying Scotsman in traditional 4472 LNER livery and one of these?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victorian_Railways_R_class

Yeah, I suppose they do look very similar! She is supposed to be the observant one!

Next time, I'll save some money & go on my own!

Agree with that.

When Flying Scotsman came out to Australia in 1987/88 (was it really 30 years ago!), Mrs kevinlms & I went for a trip on it, with parallel running on the Broad Gauge.

Afterwards, I asked her what she thought of the differences. She asked what the difference was.

Can anyone see any difference between the Flying Scotsman in traditional 4472 LNER livery and one of these?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victorian_Railways_R_class

Yeah, I suppose they do look very similar! She is supposed to be the observant one!

Next time, I'll save some money & go on my own!

I was on that trip too, managed a cab ride in the D3 at Seymour and a trip on 4472 and the NSWGR stock after a photostop, well it was a great opportunity, was late 1988.

I recall back in 1988 being on the platform at Petersham (in Sydney's inner west) although I can't remember why on earth I was there - it's not as if it's a suburb I would normally visit.  The Flying Scotsman came speeding past at the head of a train.  The thing that struck me most was the sound it made: so different from what I was used to, although I had encountered a Gresley locomotive on the move before (Union of South Africa at Dundee in the 1970s).  My immediate reaction was just to stand there thinking "did I just see what I thought I saw".

Archived