Fancy something a bit dirty

Ed-farms

I refer of course to a weathered loco (but you all knew that:rolleyes:)

A fantastic weathering job done by Darlington Railway Modelling, makes this 40 look even better especially after I drilled holes in the nose trying to releasethe body. Well worth £25 in my opinion.

post-6918-036227000 1287683895_thumb.jpg

post-6918-077161800 1287683912_thumb.jpg

post-6918-022377600 1287683925_thumb.jpg

post-6918-028176100 1287683940_thumb.jpg

post-6918-042018200 1287683959_thumb.jpg

Nice close up of the detailon the roof,really makesit looklike a proper workhorse.

post-6918-015361900 1287683953_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just one detail mars this weathering - the windscreens are filthy, too. A driver's livelihood - not to mention his/her life! - depends fundamentally upon him/her being able to see the road ahead and read signals. No driver would take a loco out with opaque screens like these. The wipers are there to help, and a representation of a wiped area would be a very good start.

• RMweb Premium

Cab windows in the blue era were often kept quite clean by a bloke with a long-handled brush: see for example this picture of an otherwise work-stained 40. Enough dust has accumulated since the last cleaning to make the wiper track on the driver's side visible however. The windows on this one seem considerably dirtier and the wiper track is very obvious.

Just one detail mars this weathering - the windscreens are filthy, too.

I'd actually say the sides and nose ends need a lot of the dirt removing and building up in stages. I think the weathering's been applied in one sitting but cleaning off and reapplying would really add depth to the weathering and ultimately give a more pleasing appearance with dirt deeply engrained around footholes and grilles but with the large slabs of bodywork show signs of have been through a washing plant but with dirt beginning to build up once more.

'dubbers, to take your point further, I did this a little while ago -

http://eastmoor.blogspot.com/2010/10/scuttled.html

To emphasis the withdrawn nature I sprayed a light dusting over the windows and when it was on shed, so to speak, with other locos which were in an in-service the contrast was rather nice :)

• 1 month later...

Archived