Heljan Westerns (new batch)

vac_basher

While on the subjects of headcodes, I'm about to stick mine back in (they were loose in the box when it arrived), but I'm unsure which way around they should go. That is, are they supposed to read IAIC or IA76 at one end; and IC40 or 7640 at the other end? :unsure:

Thanks in advance.

Good grief, I know not everyone was around in the era of headcodes, but how hard can it be to find a pic that answers this? There's even one in this thread :rolleyes:

Good grief, I know not everyone was around in the era of headcodes, but how hard can it be to find a pic that answers this? There's even one in this thread :rolleyes:

Are we talking about the pic on the Hattons website?

I can see it, but it doesn't enlarge when I click on it.... :lol:

Hi, Vac-basher!

In general terms, four character headcodes were of the format:-

1st character - a number representing the class of train 1 express passenger, 2 local passenger, etc , very similar to classification using headlamp codes.

2nd character - a LETTER indicating train's destination area or region (if an inter-regional train)

3rd & 4th characters - a two-digit individual train number or route code.

As has been (abruptly!) suggested, any pictorial album covering the class, period or region concerned will be a very good source of 4-character examples, and if adequately captioned, will let you build up your own list.

At the time they were in general use, there was even an Ian Allan 'ABC Headcodes' book available for 2/6d (half-a-crown, 12.5p) - it would cost you rather more now if you can find one in a Preservation line bookshop, or other source!

Hope this helps!

Richard

When were the four-character headcodes abandoned? My reason for asking, and partial relevance to this thread, is that I was just looking at a photo of Western Pathfinder hauling a load on the Whatley quarry branch in June 1976. The headcode shows '1001' and I'm sure I've seen other photos of Westerns with their own number as headcode.

Nick

As has been (abruptly!) suggested, any pictorial album covering the class, period or region concerned will be a very good source of 4-character examples, and if adequately captioned, will let you build up your own list.

You're quite right it was abrupt Richard, Vac's query was a prime example of what was discussed a short while ago in the rude, lazy and selfish questions thread. I find it well nigh impossible to believe that the bloke doesnt have a single book or magazine that would have provided him with at least some clue.

Are we talking about the pic on the Hattons website?

I can see it, but it doesn't enlarge when I click on it.... :lol:

I'm sorry if you think I'm being intolerant here, but he's even struggling with the meaning of 'there is a picture in this thread'. On top of that, it is literally right above one of his own posts - short of going over to his gaff and leading him by the hand, how much bloody clearer could I be?

When were the four-character headcodes abandoned? My reason for asking, and partial relevance to this thread, is that I was just looking at a photo of Western Pathfinder hauling a load on the Whatley quarry branch in June 1976. The headcode shows '1001' and I'm sure I've seen other photos of Westerns with their own number as headcode.

You will have, Nick. Official abandonment was 1.1.76 with blinds being set to '0000' after that, but a lot of Westerns were treated as you describe; also a lot of 50s similarly but with one of the noughts missing e.g '5042'

• RMweb Gold

At the time they were in general use, there was even an Ian Allan 'ABC Headcodes' book available for 2/6d (half-a-crown, 12.5p) - it would cost you rather more now if you can find one in a Preservation line bookshop, or other source!

Richard

The 1999 reprint cost £4.99 (although it still said 2/6 on the front cover) - I saw one in a secondhand bookshop not long back for a couple of quid (a reprint that is, the original in good nick probably would cost more).

A few photos of the Western I've been working on. Quite happy with the results, even if it's not perfect modelling on my part.

Will post more pics during the following days on Sumgglers Lane.

post-4688-024177300 1289245424_thumb.jpg

Damaged caused when my soldering iron slipped :angry:

post-4688-013578500 1289245465_thumb.jpg

But soon fixed with a spot of paint.

post-4688-046713300 1289245532_thumb.jpg

These are my modifications to the break gear. I won't go into details as in retrospect I don't think it was worthwhile.

post-4688-099813300 1289245554_thumb.jpg

Break gear viewed from the side.

post-4688-040301800 1289245616_thumb.jpg

I detailed the cab a bit :D

post-4688-053776400 1289245639_thumb.jpg

Not sure what this equipment is, but it looks rather good painted B)

• RMweb Premium

The Hymeks with plastic-film headcode displays do include the usual paper alternatives. The slip was tucked into the instruction leaflet in D7093's box. I am still awaiting my latest Western which is somewhere in transit between Liverpool and Australia. When it arrives I'll check for the paper slip. If it's not there then I have plenty of suitable spares from other locos.

I have too ventured into getting a Heljan western although at presant my main layout is in n gauge which is on a decision to sell.I had again problems with the wipers so in the end made my own.I think considering the mentioned flaws with this loco its the best theres likely to be for some years.

heres my pics of fusilier.

richard.

post-10094-041318100 1289425352_thumb.jpg

post-10094-097604000 1289425367_thumb.jpg

post-10094-080797000 1289425384_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

New -type wheels but no alternative headcode panels in the box. The film ones appear to be an incorrect font. For operators of other Heljan Westerns who may have kept the sheet of headcodes these can be used to replace the film ones but will need careful trimming.

D1012 arrived today and runs superbly.

Here's a few photos of my gloss finish D1001 Western Pathfinder. It's a beauty! B)

You can see more pics of this model on page 5 of Smugglers Lane (see link below).

Great work there, some real time and effort put in by the looks of it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've bought D1012 from this batch but deliberating about buying D1023 as well.

Having looked through albums I have of D1023 from late 1976/7 (the era the Heljan model depicts) some added details could be considered. Good photos in Clarke & Jennison's diesels in depth-Westerns.

The rims of the cab footsteps were picked out with Aluminium paint, as were many of the late Laira repaints. I also think that the headcode domino dots are a tad on the small side.

She also had white painted buffers on the Western Talisman railtour Kings Cross-York of 20 November 1976, which resulted in huge crowds and resultant panic at York station.

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

Help and advice needed please.

I am attempting to rename the gloss finish western pathfinder to western courier knowing the plates are shorter in lenght.I need to no the best method in removing or covering up the showing access of the printed plates.Is a glass fibre pen a good idea and anyone who has renamed this western any pics and advice are most welcome please.

regards.

richard.

Help and advice needed please.

I am attempting to rename the gloss finish western pathfinder to western courier knowing the plates are shorter in lenght.I need to no the best method in removing or covering up the showing access of the printed plates.Is a glass fibre pen a good idea and anyone who has renamed this western any pics and advice are most welcome please.

regards.

richard

Glass fibre stick sounds a bit abrasive on the gloss finish though you might be able to revarnish.

Archived