Coaches for Culreoch

Jamie

Thanks Larry on behalf of myself and Jamie since he's not about just now! I may well make use of these too.

Dave.

What Dave said..

I'll take a look at these next time I cross 247's path at a show, thanks for the tip. :)

The wire method would have been easier with different melting point grades of solder, but that's not an option I have open to me just now.

Second attempt at this weekend's update...

post-6670-0-74106400-1298737239_thumb.jpg

post-6670-0-46593900-1298737271_thumb.jpg

Interior currently that of a Mainline LMS panelled corridor composite. Plastic corridor connections from new-generation Hornby Staniers, plastic stepboards.

The end's in sight for this one. :)

Edit: yep, you can see the pictures this time, much better

Second attempt at this weekend's update...

post-6670-0-74106400-1298737239_thumb.jpg

post-6670-0-46593900-1298737271_thumb.jpg

Interior currently that of a Mainline LMS panelled corridor composite. Plastic corridor connections from new-generation Hornby Staniers, plastic stepboards.

The end's in sight for this one. :)

Edit: yep, you can see the pictures this time, much better

Thats really good what did you use for the maroon...?

To be honest that's not an accurate colour reproduction.

I used Halfords BL Damask red over red oxide primer.

Finish was something akin to Artex, (can't understand why folk rate those rattle-cans). Urgh. So I've just (as of half an hour ago) finished rubbing it back with fine wet and dry and addding a thin overcoat of Humbrol No.20 by brush. To see a decent colour reproduction of how that looks, see Tim's posting here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/blog/643/entry-5926-porthole-stanier-sk/

Should be sorted now.

Guest stuartp

That's because you didn't pop it all in the oven for ten minutes beforehand :lol: . Seriously, try standing the coach on the radiator and the can in a pan of warm water for a bit before you shake it, it sounds like the paint is drying before it's had chance to flow properly.

Nice neat job there !

Ah but sir, I did. I took the chill off the brass (not till hot to the touch, I don't want to wreck the thing), and warmed the can before shaking until blue in the face.

I said Artex before, I meant roughcast/pebbledash finish, as in exterior architectural rendering. :angry:

Anyway. Looks a bit nicer tonight. I might make 2012 the year I learn the airbrush.

Transfers should go on through the week, in between sorting out a steed for Driver McCann. ;)

This week's update sees the coach finished bar running numbers (need another evening peering into photographs) and couplings.

post-6670-0-90617300-1299324055_thumb.jpg

post-6670-0-86536100-1299324076_thumb.jpg

It's far from perfect but I'm over the moon with how it looks. The accompanying plastic BSK now needs repainted to suit.

Guest stuartp

Nowt wrong with that sir, very smart. Whose lining transfers did you use ? I've never really got on with them but I'm not completely happy with my bow pen efforts either, and those look very sharp.

Edited edit: Running numbers for the porthole batch - 24500 - 24739.

Some airosols can be a bit hit and miss. I only use cans for primer, but if I found a particularly fine nozzle I'd keep it for future same-make cans. The 'Porthole' 60ft composite was a neat looking coach. One is preserved on the Severn Valley and its different side and roof profile really does stand out from the other LMS coaches.

Looking very nice indeed Jamie. See, that Humbrol 20 does the trick does it not? ;)

Whenever I do a coach, it gets a little black or grey (satin in both cases) dropped into the mixing jar, but not much. Each coach is subtly different......

Onwards and upwards?

The 'Porthole' 60ft composite was a neat looking coach....its different side and roof profile really does stand out from the other LMS coaches.

Aye, I'm treating this as a compromise for now, the Comet roof will do, but the side profile isn't captured. I'll replace it in the fullness of time once I've gathered more info on how it should be. Of course, most of the BSKs I ought to be using are of the awkward, deep-bodyside, welded construction jobs. I'll get to them next hopefully.

Easy would be boring, so I keep telling myself :lol:

Looking very nice indeed Jamie. See, that Humbrol 20 does the trick does it not? ;)

It did, slightly greyer than the car paint, but a nice gloss finish and as easy as any other Humbrol enamel to brush paint.

Onwards and upwards?

Aye, five or so weeks till Cully goes back out. Panic stations!

Always the way, isn't it? As soon as you complete something from a kit, they announce it RTR!

§ 39-450 LMS 57 ft Porthole Corridor 3rd BR Crimson & Cream 28.60

§ 39-455 LMS 57 ft Porthole Corridor 1st BR Crimson & Cream 28.60

§ 39-460 LMS 57 ft Porthole Corridor Brake 3rd BR Crimson & Cream 28.60

§ 39-465 LMS 60 ft Porthole Corridor Composite BR Crimson & Cream 28.60

§ 39-470 LMS 60 ft Porthole Corridor Brake 1st BR Crimson & Cream 28.60

§ 39-475 LMS 60 ft Porthole Open Vestibule BR Crimson & Cream 28.60

But:

- I've learnt to solder

- it's a nicer shade of maroon than either (main) RtR producer uses

- it's got my own blood sweat and tears in it, so there's a greater attachment to one I've done the hard way.

- I've enjoyed it and will probably continue to build the rest from brass.

Guest Max Stafford

Could ye just see yer way to building an 812 and some non-gangwayed stock now, Jamie... ;)

Dave.

But:

- I've learnt to solder

- it's a nicer shade of maroon than either (main) RtR producer uses

- it's got my own blood sweat and tears in it, so there's a greater attachment to one I've done the hard way.

- I've enjoyed it and will probably continue to build the rest from brass.

And you've done a cracking job, it looks great.

Archived