Coaches for Culreoch

Jamie

Bought a couple of Lima LMS 42' GUV vans off RMWeb classifieds some time ago now. One got Comet buffers put on, and an abortive attempt at fitting Mainline LMS bogies in place of the Lima BR pattern fittings. Then it languished. As things tend to do here.

The other though, made it's way to Kingmoor to the workshop of MaxStafford who sent to me late last week a picture of the refurbished model, and so I was inspired to pick up my own, and have a rake through the drawer of coach bits...

Comet bogies, buffers, roof vents. New wire handrails. Thinned bodyside beading (it comes moulded continuously - looks like strapping sealing the side doors!) and a few moulding marks removed.

Here it is in primer

post-6670-0-73172800-1317068369_thumb.jpg

post-6670-0-69017700-1317068574_thumb.jpg

(Droopy buffer optional)

It's since had it's top coat of maroon, and looks quite promising. If I don't run out of willpower before reglazing it, it could even see completion...

I'd recommend cutting out the solid from between the trussing and bettery boxes if possible, looks a bit silly solid. You need to clip a scale inch off the top of the buffers too for the drop down end.

According to the drawing the beading was 1 1/4" x 1/4" so very thin in reality.

Thanks Craig.

There's a good side-on shot of a pair on Robert Carroll's Flickr pages from which I'd spotted the thin-ness of the beading. That said, I wasn't sure whether the battery boxes needed cutting back or not. They're a pretty substantial moulding - removal looks risky.

Buffers, yes, dawned on me later in the painting process. I'll see whether Dave F has anything suitable. Comet heads are a bit chunky.

MaxStafford's take on his one - hope mine turns out somewhere near as good:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/73/entry-7622-a-couple-of-items-of-rolling-stock/

I don't think Dave does any coach buffers, yours are correct but would need a little attention from a file. Max looks to have modelled an example which had its buffers replaced.

It wasn't so much the battery boxes themselves but the triangle of solid plastic between them and the trussing that I don't think is there on the prototype. Apart from one photo in a train though most of the shots are from the other side! Found them on Paul Bartletts, there is a gap but its not massive http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lmsparcels/h1077341f#h1077341f in fact it might be worth adding that vertical bit and beefing up the truss slightly.

Aye, having had time to look, the GUV buffers are quite different to the (also clipped), 4wheel CCT buffers I had in mind. Fair enough. :)

Nice side by side shots here: 9428_OOC_12-60 and here: 9477_OOC_12-60

A couple of bits of microstrip to thicken the diagonals wouldn't go amiss, agreed.

The LMS 42' GUV is one i would have etched before now if it werent for lack of a suitably narrow roof.

Interesting, drawing I have says std 8'6" stock steel roof to drg 11/256C, seems to say 8' 7 5/16 over gutters too although its one of the Derby C+W drawings where all the ink is falling off and is becoming illegible :(.

What were LMS coaches normally, im sure a new one could be 3D printed if the Lima roof/other stock is that far off?

• RMweb Premium

Good to see your progress with the Lima LMS GUV, I did similar myself not long ago and it certainly repays changing the bogies and buffers, and adding new vents. I couldn't bring myself to try and carve out the 'triangles' between the truss rods and battery boxes, but did think it worth replacing the handbrake wheel with a more suitable etched substitute (51L Models I think); the one it comes with would look more at home on a Speedlink train! Will be good to see how yours turns out.... :)

but did think it worth replacing the handbrake wheel with a more suitable etched substitute (51L Models I think); the one it comes with would look more at home on a Speedlink train!

I have a feeling its also seen on the PCA cement tanks etc.. Bill Bedford or Colin Craig may also be sources of hand wheels. Good shot of the wheel in this one http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lmsparcels/h1077341f#h16bb1e3

I'll have to see if i can get hold of D13/1843 to find out how big that trussing should be. The Lima body is pretty spot on against the drawing, the door and end are pretty much on the money and the vents were in the right place though in need of separate castings.

The buffers, vents and new hand rails make a big difference though. This was supposed to be in the laserglaze range at some stage, i'll have to ask Brian as I want windows for the 57' brake too.

Finished for now. Decided against opening the pandora's box that is the underframe - had a look and decided messing with the trusses would end in continued dissatisfaction so have left as-is. Interim handwheels sourced locally, too big and too crude but until I need to order other stuff from the etched part suppliers they will do for now. If I need yet another disclaimer here, the photo's crappy too!

post-6670-0-99484600-1317498101_thumb.jpg

I'm pleased with how it's turned out. The improvements really do hide it's ancient Lima basis. Once I decide how it's to be used in Cully's fixed-formation rakes I'll add couplings and end details to suit.

Thanks to Dave for triggering some inspiration to get back onto the workbench, and thanks to those who have given pointers for improvements here, always interesting (even if I opt-out, it's better to "know and live with" than remain ignorant).

Archived