New Farish Mk1s

Modernist

• RMweb Gold

Just got the first of the blue-grey coaches (SK) and have to agree with the comments already posted.

Not worried about the roof ribs, though. I'm sitting about three feet from the coach and they are barely visible.

post-7123-080303100 1288812903_thumb.jpg

post-7123-080351900 1288812919_thumb.jpg

Old and new Farish Mk1s

post-7123-039688800 1288812939_thumb.jpg

I got my two Mk1s from Hattons today. I am well impressed. I was reading a forum about Heljan's new O scale mk1s and they got quite a slating.

As for the prismatic windows effect. Bachmann's oo scale does not get away with that either. It is very hard to replicate that dirty old yellowing bog window on a Mk1 when it is painted from the inside.laugh.gif

I think we should say well done GF. I just wish they got to the Mk3s firstwink.gif

BTW my crimson/cream SK AND SO have midland region prefixes and match my staniers really well. Anyone got corridor connection convertors?biggrin.gif

Doug Smith (newbie)

post-10172-082158800 1288883810_thumb.jpg

But, unfortunately there are still a number of disappointments that let them down;

* wheels not blackened and left shiney,

* horrible deep trench lines around the doors,

* excessive overscale roof ribs,

* glossier finish to roofs and ends,

* water pipes black (not grey)

* and the glazing thickness obvious and causing prismatic distortion at edges (far more so than on the new version Farish Pulmans).

At least they're not made by Dapol otherwise some people would be.......... ;) :lol:

G.

If you would like the ultimately pedantic error, turn your SK/TSO coach so it has the toilets on the right, and then the door on the left (right next to the end) has a doorstop that should not be there. These doors either had no door stops or one much closer to the hinges so there could be a corresponding stop on the coach.

But seriously these coaches are very very nice. I am told (by MRJ) that removing the glazing, chopping it into pieces and painting the edges of the windows black solves the prismatic problem, but I am not confident I can get the glazing out without damaging it.

Laying an Ultima etched side for an SK over the coach reveals an alarming horizontal discrepency in the positioning of the windows, I want to check this out but at this moment I am betting on Bachmann having it right.

If you would like the ultimately pedantic error, turn your SK/TSO coach so it has the toilets on the right, and then the door on the left (right next to the end) has a doorstop that should not be there. These doors either had no door stops or one much closer to the hinges so there could be a corresponding stop on the coach.

But seriously these coaches are very very nice. I am told (by MRJ) that removing the glazing, chopping it into pieces and painting the edges of the windows black solves the prismatic problem, but I am not confident I can get the glazing out without damaging it.

Laying an Ultima etched side for an SK over the coach reveals an alarming horizontal discrepency in the positioning of the windows, I want to check this out but at this moment I am betting on Bachmann having it right.

Mercy me. He is right about the door stops BUT! The old coaches had a roof thickness at the ends like a mattress. Which is more noticable? FIGHT biggrin.gif

They ARE good.

Mercy me. He is right about the door stops BUT! The old coaches had a roof thickness at the ends like a mattress. Which is more noticable? FIGHT biggrin.gif

They ARE good.

I was only joking. But I tend to compare my models with the real thing, not something from the 1980s(?) that purports to be a Mk1 but is nowhere near - especially below the solebar. Still, people kept telling me to stop complaining about those as well...

Anybody got a Blue/Grey one? I'm interested to know if they did these with the upper end steps plated over, as most of them would have been by then.

• RMweb Premium

I am told (by MRJ) that removing the glazing, chopping it into pieces and painting the edges of the windows black solves the prismatic problem, but I am not confident I can get the glazing out without damaging it.

That sounds rather drastic.

• RMweb Gold

Again, it's all in the eye of the beholder. The prismatic effect of the glazing is very obvious in the pictures due to being quite close to the camera flash. Otherwise, it's not at all bad.

I did the "Countdown Test" this afternoon and was able to admire the nice young lady who dishes out the letters through the glazing - without any distortion.

It's another thumbs up to Farish from me for these coaches. Dare we hope for some similar quality Mk 2a vehicles next year?

• RMweb Gold

Again, it's all in the eye of the beholder. The prismatic effect of the glazing is very obvious in the pictures due to being quite close to the camera flash. Otherwise, it's not at all bad.

I did the "Countdown Test" this afternoon and was able to admire the nice young lady who dishes out the letters through the glazing - without any distortion.

It's another thumbs up to Farish from me for these coaches. Dare we hope for some similar quality Mk 2a vehicles next year?

Received my first delivery on a rather big order of MK1s - do I really need them all?

I agree with aforementioned comments, and would like to issue one word of warning (translated into english, the prat didn't take care!)

The buffers are not glued and if you are not 150% careful when removing the long-shank coupling they can fly out across the room to be lost in that Bermuda Triangle that every Hobby Room has.

Saying that running long coupling to short coupling British N-gauge finally have the coupling quality that Fleischmann produce!

And at normal viewing distance the missing buffer is not noticeable especially when the coach is running "missing-buffer-rear-viewing-side"

Well done to Bachmann/Farish, looking forward to the rest and if they produce to what they have always claimed, can't wait for the MK2s

JGP

• RMweb Premium

I like that test laugh.gif

I must say that the glazing is like a watch face in it's clarity. Another N scale manufacturer take note.

Fleischmann. Their products are now officially inferior IMO as their coaches sit too high and have many inaccuraciessad.gif

So I got the ruler out to compare stuff like windows and look into the SO.

Comparing it with some measurements listed from a coach at Tyseley the Bachmann one appears to be very close, The door tops seem to be a minute fraction too low and perhaps as a result of this it looks like the top lining on the maroon coach is a fraction too close to the windows. That said it varies between prototype photos so I can well believe they measured/worked from photos were it is right! Purely subjectively the area above the window appears too small and while its very hard to measure with the curvature and the size when dealing with fractions of a mm, the windows seem to be too tall (42" or so) whereas the drawings and notes I have say 40". Either way vertically its fractions of a mm.

As far as the SO windows not matching. I'd heard that a couple of times before and it looked that way. However having now been through the drawings and old Ultima notes I think the reason the SO doesn't match up isn't as simple as it being wrong on the etch (rule 1 seems to be "If you thiink Colin got it wrong, you've made two mistakes and one of them is who you blamed")

The old Ultima etch (UM1405) is for the 3500-3514 coaches with the seats facing the door, the Bachmann Farish one appears to be for the more common type.

That sounds rather drastic.

I question how well it will work - I guess it depends on livery. Certainly for pale colours I'd be cautions. The reason I say this is that I've always poked out the glazing on Farish 47's when modelling one with the rubber round the windows and painted the sides of the glazing black. It doesn't vanish the glazing depth, but it does make a nice fine black edge.

She's nice, but there's just something about Suzie Dent....

Pix

So I got the ruler out to compare stuff like windows and look into the SO.

Comparing it with some measurements listed from a coach at Tyseley the Bachmann one appears to be very close, The door tops seem to be a minute fraction too low and perhaps as a result of this it looks like the top lining on the maroon coach is a fraction too close to the windows. That said it varies between prototype photos so I can well believe they measured/worked from photos were it is right! Purely subjectively the area above the window appears too small and while its very hard to measure with the curvature and the size when dealing with fractions of a mm, the windows seem to be too tall (42" or so) whereas the drawings and notes I have say 40". Either way vertically its fractions of a mm.

As far as the SO windows not matching. I'd heard that a couple of times before and it looked that way. However having now been through the drawings and old Ultima notes I think the reason the SO doesn't match up isn't as simple as it being wrong on the etch (rule 1 seems to be "If you thiink Colin got it wrong, you've made two mistakes and one of them is who you blamed")

The old Ultima etch (UM1405) is for the 3500-3514 coaches with the seats facing the door, the Bachmann Farish one appears to be for the more common type.

I was thinking of UM1406.

My measurement of the windows on the Bachmann SK vertical height is 6.83mm, which scales up at 39.9", so I think they are correct for 40".

Rule 1 doesn't always apply, there was an LMS coach etch where he'd missed a window out altogether!

Chris

I question how well it will work - I guess it depends on livery. Certainly for pale colours I'd be cautions. The reason I say this is that I've always poked out the glazing on Farish 47's when modelling one with the rubber round the windows and painted the sides of the glazing black. It doesn't vanish the glazing depth, but it does make a nice fine black edge.

The reason it was recommended in MRJ (read the article if you like) is that a prismatic effect is about light bouncing around inside the glazing. Painting the edges black stops the reflections. As does chopping the glazing into individual windows, as there is no chance of light bouncing from one window to the next.

Nothing will really make the glazing depth disapper. That has to be lived with (or replace your coach sides with etched ones glazed with glass).

Just got the first of the blue-grey coaches (SK) and have to agree with the comments already posted.

Not worried about the roof ribs, though. I'm sitting about three feet from the coach and they are barely visible.

post-7123-080303100 1288812903_thumb.jpg

post-7123-080351900 1288812919_thumb.jpg

Old and new Farish Mk1s

post-7123-039688800 1288812939_thumb.jpg

I think the ribs are a bit more visible on the lighter roofs of the maroon and crimson/cream types. So one answer is to respray them darker - they all became pretty much black very quickly in service.

Does anyone know how they come apart so that the roofs could be sprayed? On the subject of glazing. Beware of glue over run. Not so easy when you mail order but if you see before you buy check them. It is worse than the prism effectdry.gif

I have a maroon stanier that looks as if the glazing has not seated correctly on one window and the glue shows white.

Does anyone know how they come apart so that the roofs could be sprayed? On the subject of glazing. Beware of glue over run. Not so easy when you mail order but if you see before you buy check them. It is worse than the prism effectdry.gif

I have a maroon stanier that looks as if the glazing has not seated correctly on one window and the glue shows white.

First remove the body from the chassis. There are six clips (three each side) which I found pretty easy to free be prising the body sides apart. Then inside the body you will see six more clips that hold the roof in. These could be a bit more fragile so proceed carefully.

I was thinking of UM1406.

Comparing the old artwork with Parkin it seems to be out by between 0 and 1mm on the different windows (toilet side is 1mm off for the first bits for example). I've no idea how accurate the sketch diagrams in Parkin are but it's all I have to hand. I don't have a Bachmann SK to overlay and see currently.

Alan

Comparing the old artwork with Parkin it seems to be out by between 0 and 1mm on the different windows (toilet side is 1mm off for the first bits for example). I've no idea how accurate the sketch diagrams in Parkin are but it's all I have to hand. I don't have a Bachmann SK to overlay and see currently.

Alan

I get the feeling that all the etches with the toilet compartment at the end (SK/TSO/SO) except the sleeper have this 6" (~1mm) too small, and that the other windows have been spaced out to match. The error may have arisen because the sleepers do have a end toilet section which is 6" shorter.

The sketch diagrams in Parkin are in fact the BR official ones, so I expect the written dimensions to be correct as that is what the operating department were interested in. The actual window placement is probably less reliable, and they do in any case only show one side.

Archived