O-Scale

traction

• RMweb Gold

I've found a useful little option in Acrobat that should make things easier. If you zoom in to a section of the kit and then select the "Print Selection" option you can then just print say the back wall overlay.

Then by using the "Tile All Pages" option you can enter your chosen enlargement %. You get a preview window to make sure you are getting what you expect.

I think in this way I can print each bit as I need it onto A4 paper (or OHP film!) Only needing A3 if there is a bit that is literally too big for A4.

Not got Adobe Reader installed at work, but can't see that these options are not in the latest version of Reader (I'm using Acrobat Pro 8.0 at work)

Nothing on the Signal Box kit is so large :)

• RMweb Gold

That looks very nice Ian!

Had a price back from Alphagraphics to enlarge and print out, then collapsed as they must have mistaken what I had asked for.

They must have thought I wanted them to build the kit then make 100's of them in resin for the price they were charging!!!

Anyway told them that at that price they wouldn't be printing out one sheet of paper with nothing on it never mind a kit, will wait to see if there is anything else they can do.

The problem is some parts of the kit are that big on the page when you enlarge it, the page needs to be be printed out onto A2 and not A3.

You would probably end up with only a very small part of the A2 page used, or it would be printed out to fit in the center of the A2 sheet with a huge border all the way round.

Hey ho will wait and see if they come back with, if anything!

Cheers

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Thats upscaled nicely!!

Have you got a OO that you can put next to it?

Does look good!

Did you find any suitable thickness card or did you just laminate them together to give roughly the right thickness?

Cheers

Ian

• RMweb Gold

No, and I'm not likely to have one either!

I doubled up on the 1mm card mostly, the only "issues" I had was with the cabin front and side walls (the bits with the windows) and the porch sides. As they were now 2mm thick they wouldn't bend very well and when they did they ended up too wide. I cut them up into sections (front and sides) then butt glued them together. Corner caps covered the joins nicely.

Roff slot for the chimney had to be trimmed as again, with the now 6mm thick chimney the roof didn't fit as standard :lol:

Got though a LOT of Pritt-Stik with this one....

• RMweb Gold

Santa brought Josh LOADS of Lego Atlantis which comes in nice big boxes, good quality card 1.5mm thick - two laminations will give me the 3mm thick "heavy card" that I am using for O gauge, and all for free (apart from buying the Lego that is :lol: )

He also brought me an A3 cutting mat, now for that new pack of #11 blades ......

Santa brought Josh LOADS of Lego Atlantis which comes in nice big boxes, good quality card 1.5mm thick - twop laminations will give me the 3mm thick "heavy card" that I am using for O gauge, and all for free (apart from buying the Lego that is :lol: )

He also brought me an A3 cutting mat, now fo that new pack of #11 blades ......

Possibly the cheapest way to get those 270675929674

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Nice work, RM. In that scale I'd be tempted to use the window printout as an 'underlay' for 1mm plastic strip, too. Have you considered it at all?

Doug

To be honest, yes, it's mentioned in the Scalescenes instructions, but for now I just want to get the construction done to get a feel for the whole layout. I may add better windows during the detailing stage.

I also bought 100 #10A scalpel blades from the eBay sell in shortliner's post above, top value and VERY sharp, typing with a plaster on my finger as we speak :lol:

• RMweb Gold

Nice work Ian,

The buildings have all come out very well upscaled.

Look forward to seeing them in situ to give a bit of atmosphere and scale.

It's quite strange how you can't really tell just how big the buildings are when there is nothing to compare it to.

I have printed out that station in O and the paper is glued to the card.

It is on the large size, although like I say you can't really tell from your photo.

What's next on the O-gauge build list?

Cheers

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Ho Ho, I'll try to post a pic next time I have a laying out session with some recently constructed track and my Pug tank engine.

Downloaded the station footbridge on Friday, that's next. Looks like lods of lunchtimes for that one and I'm not sure about putting a mirror on the scenic break at that end, so I might have to only make half the over bridge.....

• RMweb Gold

taken from my blog, here's a qick pic of the waiting shelter now it has been enhanced with stretched parts from the Small Station kit so that it matches the shelter attached to the station

Might make a good kit to re-introduce John if you are watching B)

post-6717-0-41414800-1294753421_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Very nice Ian!

Looking forward to see this one finished...........I think Mansfield show would be a very first outing :lol:

I've got loads to start never mind finish off, on the Thomas layout ready for Mansfield!!!

Least you could do is finish this one off ;)

I think you should send John some photos of these enlarged kits, he will put them in the gallery on his web site, they have turned out great.

Hopefully he is still not underwater, I did get an email from him the other day and he is on higher ground and the floods are a few suburbs away!

It does look bad though.

Cheers

Ian

• RMweb Gold

There might be sommething to show for Mansfield, but don't expect ballast etc :lol:

SNAP!!!!

I'm hoping to get as much done as possible on Thomas, not too sure if it will be in a position for the kids to have a play but will try my hardest, even if it's only one at a time instead of two.

Work is just crazy, looks like I'm going to be spending quite a lot of time away from home this year :(

Cheers

Ian

As a graphic designer and having worked with printers before, it depends how they do it. some things require a special set up which takes time, both human to set the printer up, but also time that the printer isn't being used for something else, scale of economy often works best when it's a few hundred copies of the same item.

as such, I have found that my usual printers isn't as cheap as the local copy shop for one off A2 or A3 (although I am lucky enough to have an A3 printer) as my usual printers set everything up on their large roll printer and then crop down in size, often I find that my print job for some fliers has been put through with someone elses business cards taking up the rest of the space of the sheet saving both me and the other customer a bit of money.

the copy shop however, do have a similar printer but also have some giant lazer printers that take regular paper sizes and so are happy to just check the document and put it through, last time I did it, it wasn't much for a single sided A3 sheet.

Hi Ian,

I doubled up initially, but it's way too thick, the narrow boat I increased the card thicknesses by 176% and that worked out quite well.

Needs a bit of laminating card together to give the approx thickness.

The worst thing is when you have to glue the components together in a block, if each card layer is too thick or too thin it does add up to quite a difference when glued together.

Cheers

Ian

I did find, when doing my N gauge narrow boat (scanning and reducing the Hornby magazine kit) that I had to reduce the card thickness of one hull piece otherwise the deck would have been too tall.

went together well though

Archived