PECO Code 100 electrofrog 3 way wiring

Wiring requests for the Peco electrofrog 3-way point keep coming up, and usually far enough apart that the previous thread has been lost behind many newer posts. Of all the electrofrog items, this seems to cause the most head scratching - I've even been asked at exhibitions for advice as soon as people spot that I've used them on my layout. Would it be worth having one of the topics stickied to stay at the top for easy reference for people facing the same problem?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

FINALLY got my scanner to work, so here's a scan of the actual instruction leaflet that comes with the 3-way point, hope I've not breached Peco's copyright by posting it here! The 3 hand-written letters D,E and F are wiring for Seep switched point-motors instead of Peco ones (I THINK they're correct, I installed this point a couple of years ago).

Cheers,

Steve

post-9886-057634800 1290012920_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread. I've wired up a couple of these 3-way code 100 electrofrog turnouts as per the instructions but I've still found one of them to be intermittently unreliable. It's fine most of the time but will occasionally have a dead spot which then clears for no very good reason. Even with the frogs being switched, is there still a reliance on blade to blade contact for the point to work properly, and if so, are there any modifications that can be done to improve matters, such as electrically bonding some/all of the blades?

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

FINALLY got my scanner to work, so here's a scan of the actual instruction leaflet that comes with the 3-way point, hope I've not breached Peco's copyright by posting it here! The 3 hand-written letters D,E and F are wiring for Seep switched point-motors instead of Peco ones (I THINK they're correct, I installed this point a couple of years ago).

Cheers,

Steve

Brilliant Steve - just what I was after!

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Yes you definitely need to bond the 3 rails on each side together.  You can see about half way down Peco have helpfully removed the webbing to allow you to do this. I've made this bonding wire a DCC feed too. If you don't bond a wire across these 3 rails, you will soon get problems of dead spots on the turnout caused by unreliable contact between stock rails and blades. The frogs have to be switched by the point motor, which won't be problem for you as the Tortoises each have 2 inbuilt switches.

As for mounting the Tortoises underneath the baseboard, you will need to fix them nose-to-nose - they won't fit if you try to fix them both the same way round..

Thanks for reply

I cannot see any metal links underneath to remove before bonding,

the metal links are fitted to the underneath of normal Peco points , do you simply take the wires across on each side?.

Can anyone assist with the actual wiring  diagram ,as the Peco sheet only covers using the Peco switches. This is for a DC layout.

Thanks again for any further help.

• RMweb Gold

On the code 73 3-way there are no links to remove.  You just bond a single wire on each side across the 3 rails where Peco have cut the web.

The instruction leaflet for this turnout is here - http://www.peco-uk.com/imageselector/Files/Instruction%20sheets/HO-OO%20Code%2075%203-Way%20SL-E199.pdf

Instead of connecting 3 wires to the Peco switch, you connect them to the equivalent terminals on the Tortoise.

Thanks, a thick moment !!

Which are the terminals to use ? 1 and 8 are power that is a re far as I have got and nothing obvious on searches for any more info, as all diagrams found so far have been using Peco switches/motors. The point has three frog wires and is Code 75.

Tortoise installation instructions?

Indeed which still hasnt helped much !!  .

Tortoise 1 and 8 are power , 2 and 6 are shown each as a single connection a feed?,  3 and 4     5 and 7 are show as switches . As the frogs have one wire each use  2 or 6 ??

thanks

• RMweb Gold

Indeed which still hasnt helped much !!  .

Tortoise 1 and 8 are power , 2 and 6 are shown each as a single connection a feed?,  3 and 4     5 and 7 are show as switches . As the frogs have one wire each use  2 or 6 ??

thanks

2 is the connection to the frog. But you'll need to supply opposing polarities to 3 and 4 in order for anything to come out of 2. (The same applies to 5,7 and 6).

Is this correct ?

Point Rails bonded each side

1 and 2 power from track rails.  Can both parts of the point share the same two power track feeds by taking wires into a connector block then to 1 and 2 on each motor.

2 to frog (s) on each motor

3 and 4 from individual switch  to each motor

Can you still use the return from the switch(s) can still use the connection on the common return wire, already installed for the other points I have fitted with Seeps .

The Seeps are wired via a CDU is this ok to use with Tortoise Motors?

I have contacted Circuitron who couldnt supply a wiring diagram !

Thanks again.

• RMweb Gold

2 is the connection to the frog. 

No it isn't!

4 is the frog connection on the first switch, with DCC bus connections on 2 and 3.   If you use the other independent switch, then 5 is the frog connection with the DCC bus wires going to 6 and 7.  You may have to reverse 2/3 or 6/7 to get the frog polarity the right way round. Look at the Tortoise instructions Figure 2: terminal 4 switches between 2 and 3, and 5 between 6 and 7.

1 and 8 are the motor power.

• RMweb Gold

No it isn't!

4 is the frog connection on the first switch, with DCC bus connections on 2 and 3.   If you use the other independent switch, then 5 is the frog connection with the DCC bus wires going to 6 and 7.  You may have to reverse 2/3 or 6/7 to get the frog polarity the right way round. Look at the Tortoise instructions Figure 2: terminal 4 switches between 2 and 3, and 5 between 6 and 7.

1 and 8 are the motor power.

Apologies - I should have looked at the instructions, but was assuming Mick's statement in post 17 referrred to the frog outputs.

Please allow me to start again because this is a clear as mud (sorry).

At the present time I have a 12v DC system using a independent 12v Transformer to power Seep Point Motorsal switched by a SPDT switches on each motor, I am using a seperate  common return for all the points . I only want to use the Tortoise x2 on the 3 way point .

Which switch do I need to use? .

The Tortoise instructions have

Diagram 1 shows a DPDT Switch wiring for powering 1 and 8 nothing at all on how to switch the frog.

Diagram 2 shows using SPDT switch with two transformers again nothing re the frog switching.

Diagarm 3 is AC which I am ignoring.

On the Tortoise instruction sheet it show on  Fig 2

2 is a single feed

3 and 4 are a switch feed

I wont be using 5, 6 and 7 please ignore.

It would appear I need to fit the feed to the frog to (2) ?

I now appear to need a seperate on/off switch to switch the frog via  (3 and 4) ?

Or can create a new connection for each Tortoise using a  DPDT switch for each motor ? With that switch can I  power the motor and switch the frog at the same time? Wiring diagram for that switch is possible please!!

Thanks again , sorry this is dragging on a bit !!

• RMweb Gold

You provide DC power to 1 and 8 from a 12V DC (better 9V DC) power supply.  The Tortoise is permanently powered, and changeover involves reversing the polarity of the feed.  Hence you need to wire via a DPDT switch as in Diagram 1.

Frog wire in connected to terminal 4, and DCC bus connections to 2 and 3.  If the loco shorts when it runs through the frog, then reverse 2 and 3.

• RMweb Gold

Check out downloads on Gaugemsater site for non digital Cobalts, wiring is the same as Tortoise and the download shows you how to wire 2 motors together to operate 3 way such that you cannot select the illegal move.

The discussion here is about the code 75 turnout which is not actually a 3-way, but is correctly described as asymmetric.  In other words it's just two turnouts partially overlaid on each other.  Hence they're both entirely independent so you can't have an illegal move.  This problem only arises with the code 100 version, which is a true 3-way turnout.

Archived