'Each A Glimpse' by Colin T Gifford

Rugd1022

Nipped into Robert Humm's shop on Stamford station this afternoon and whilst paying for my purchases I noticed a copy of this much sought after book on the counter. Asking about it I was told by the very nice lady that it was for sale, priced at £100, and that I might be better off buying a new copy when it's reprinted... she wasn't sure when but I hope it's true!

Had a quick leaf through and was very impressed with the contents, not having seen a copy before, although I knew what to expect as I have his other books 'And Gone Forever' and 'Decline Of Steam', both of which are superb. The last time I saw 'Each A Glimpse' on ebay the bidding was up to around £300!

Nidge ;)

Bought my secondhand copy in a secondhand bookshop in Burnham Market, Norfolk a couple of years ago for £8 !!. Also bought Decline of steam for a fiver .

Fantastic, atmospheric books. Steam as I remember it.

Colin T Gifford, a gifted photographer.

Brit15

• RMweb Gold

Nipped into Robert Humm's shop on Stamford station this afternoon and whilst paying for my purchases I noticed a copy of this much sought after book on the counter. Asking about it I was told by the very nice lady that it was for sale, priced at £100, and that I might be better off buying a new copy when it's reprinted... she wasn't sure when but I hope it's true!

Had a quick leaf through and was very impressed with the contents, not having seen a copy before, although I knew what to expect as I have his other books 'And Gone Forever' and 'Decline Of Steam', both of which are superb. The last time I saw 'Each A Glimpse' on ebay the bidding was up to around £300!

Nidge ;)

Got 'em all from new at publication, they are good books but I didn't realise they went for so much! Not that I want to sell, I am surprised that they haven't been reprinted.

Michael

Each a Glimpse is due soon I belive. I got one for a fiver at a preservd railway about 10 years ago. Still kick myself for not getting "And Gone Forever". Colin's pictures in "The Steam Railway in Industry" make that another one worth getting, and that tends to still go for around a tenner these days, guess it's because not so many people are interested in industrial railways.

I have the original somewhere. I'm really glad that the new edition is being "reoriginated" - what the heck does that mean?

I think it means that they are going back to original photos and doing a new book, rather than scanning a copy of the original book, as is done with some reprints. It means that the new book should be better than the old one, which I don't have but know someone who does.

Wasn't there supposed to be a new collection of colour photos in the pipeline?

There was talk of it a year or so ago, in the lead up to Gifford's colour exhibition "In the wink of an eye" at Kidderminster Railway Museum, with the book being the same name. I had heard that it may follow the reprint of "Each a Glimpse".

• 3 weeks later...

There was talk of it a year or so ago, in the lead up to Gifford's colour exhibition "In the wink of an eye" at Kidderminster Railway Museum, with the book being the same name. I had heard that it may follow the reprint of "Each a Glimpse".

I'm a volunteer in the Photographic archive department at the Kidderminster Railway Museum and can confirm that there is a colour book in the planning stage. It will be based around the selection of images displayed in "the wink of an eye" exhibition and published after the reprint of "Each a Glimpse" takes place.

I'll ask David Postle (who runs the Kidderminster Museum) for an update on the progress of the "Each a Glimpse" reprint, when I call in later this week. I believe that all the negatives are being re-scanned for the new edition, as I've seen Colin and David checking through the images at the museum, over the last few weeks.

More information, if and when I can get it - especially as my copy is looking a bit scruffy, it's been handled so much over the last forty years.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

More information, if and when I can get it - especially as my copy is looking a bit scruffy, it's been handled so much over the last forty years.

Big question John is how do you find your copy within the acres of books that are in every square inch of your studio? Mind you it can be useful... every time the good lady thinks I have too many books all I have to do is mention 'It could be worse, I could have as many as John!' :D

Big question John is how do you find your copy within the acres of books that are in every square inch of your studio? Mind you it can be useful... every time the good lady thinks I have too many books all I have to do is mention 'It could be worse, I could have as many as John!' :D

As you know Chris, today's modeller, or yesterday's for that matter, can never have too many good references. Finding "Each a Glimpse" is easy, as it's one of my top ten favourite books - mind you, my top ten looks very likely to become a top twenty soon!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I visited the Kidderminster Railway Museum last week and, as promised a couple of weeks ago, I managed to get an update on the current position of the new edition of 'Each a Glimpse' from David Postle.

David said that all the photographs for the book have been re-scanned, plus a few more, as there will be some more pages added to the new edition. Colin Gifford and David are laying out the pages at the KRM and are about half way through the book. David hopes that the page layouts will be finished sometime early in the new year, depending upon Colin's commitments. Once they are both happy with the layouts, a pdf copy will be sent to Ian Allan who will then publish the book.

For those interested in some of the technical issues, David says that it is not strictly a reprint, because each image has been scanned and produced to the highest digital standards, which were not available to Ian Allan forty years ago. He says that it is amazing what he can get out of the negatives and Colin can see at last super-detailed studies of his photography. However, the internal layout has largely followed the original book, but the sizing of the pictures has been done to get the best out of the images. So, sometimes the pages might have the same photographs, but reproduced to different sizes. There will also be a few additional images which do not appear in the original book.

Regarding the colour book, that will hopefully be the next project - and again it will be a joint production between Colin and David. Although this time, the book will be published by KRM Publishing. Over 100 of the scans have already been done, many of which were used in the colour exhibition, entitled "In the wink of an eye", held in the Kidderminster Railway Museum during 2009. I helped the Midlands-based railway artist, Gerald Broom (another supporter of the KRM), to hang the colour photographs used in the exhibition and if those images were anything to go by, the book will be well worth waiting for.

If I find out anymore information, I'll post it here.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Still no sign of this one, latest I had from Amazon was that it was "temporarily out of stock".

Anybody out there have any more info on when this long awaited republication is now due out?

• RMweb Gold

For some reason I missed this thread when it started and am really pleased that the book is being reissued. I saw an original copy soon after publication and was completely bowled over. Colin Gifford - along with a few other notables - has been one of the strongest influences on my railway photography ever since.

• 1 month later...

Got notification by email from the Book Depository that my order for Each a Glimpse has been cancelled and my money refunded. :(

Any news, update as to how its going in putting the new version together and when its due out.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just wondering if the was any more news on this great book that is in the prcess of being re-released.

Thanks.

Not so far - anybody out there in touch with Mr Gifford to get this from the horse's mouth?

Just found this. I see John has been keeping folks up to date. I was talking to Dave Postle today and enquired on progress. All images have been produced (as has the final layout as far as I am aware). The next task is captioning. Then it will be off to the printers. I can fully endorse John's comments, the additional information that has been extracted from the images and their composition will certainly make the book worth waiting for.

Steve

• 2 months later...