'Each A Glimpse' by Colin T Gifford

Rugd1022

Having pre-ordered this through Amazon, I have just received an email from them stating:

We regret to report that the release of the following item has been cancelled:

Colin T. Gifford "Each a Glimpse..."

Our supplier has informed us that this item is no longer available.

Can anyone shed any light on the situation?

• RMweb Gold

I've had the same e-mail Rod. I am assuming that Amazon's use of "cancelled" could mean the publisher has deferred plans for the foreseeable future. However, I have no intention of starting a frothfest on here!

Trevor - yes I suspect you are correct. Hopefully someone closer to the publication might be able to confirm.

Mark - the reprint; fortunately I already have a copy of the 1970 edition (for a lot less than they are charging now for one!). As far as I know I have all his published works.

PS there's a copy of Decline of Steam in my local bookshop going for around £50.

I have just e.mailed Dave Postle, and he advises me that the book is designed, page layouts are complete and the book is ready to go to print. Ian Allan are, apparently, looking to release it around July 2012. They need a fair lead time, apart from anything else, in order to get it in their catalogue. There are still some technical discussions taking place with regard to printing specifications, in order to ensure that the book reflects the care and attention over many, many hours which have gone into the design and treatment of the images.

Steve

Edited by Steve Williams
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the info - I just got the same e mail from Amazon - so hopefully next year...

Meantime, I managed to pick up a first edition (1965 print) of Decline Of Steam for £14.00 in an antique centre - not in the best condition, the cover is tatty, but the actual picure pages are fine.

Rod,

It's still on the cards. However, I have no news on this one. I will be seeing Dave late in the week as we have a Board meeting. If I have any news, I will post.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Do you know who has Colin Gifford's photographic collection as I am trying to obtain copies of some photographs he took at Bristol Barrow Road Shed in the 1960's?

Regards,

Robin

Hi Steve,

Do you know who has Colin Gifford's photographic collection as I am trying to obtain copies of some photographs he took at Bristol Barrow Road Shed in the 1960's?

Regards,

Robin

Robin,

As far as I am aware, Colin is still in possession of all his photographs.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I've had no email and I pre-ordered it. Odd.

Colin is very much still alive and very much in possession of his collection and very keen to see it is not 'misused' after his death.

As an aside, an original 1970 copy went for just £20 on ebay last week. I have it but planned to buy another and sell it on for a small mark up to pay towards my new book. Only Ebay didnt tell me the auction had nearly ended.....

As an aside, an original 1970 copy went for just £20 on ebay last week. I have it but planned to buy another and sell it on for a small mark up to pay towards my new book. Only Ebay didnt tell me the auction had nearly ended.....

Surely, if you already have a copy of the 1970 edition, you could buy any number of things to sell on for a small mark up to pay towards the new one? Maybe the fact there is a new edition due is reducing the price of the originals second-hand? :scratch_one-s_head_mini:

• 3 months later...

Just received a notification from Amazon that it is available again to pre-order (at £25.50 as opposed to £30 full price).

No indication of actual release date, but the notification is encouraging.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

just got the following

Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below was changed by the supplier, and we need to provide you with a new estimated delivery date based on the new release date:

Colin Gifford "Each a Glimpse..."

Estimated arrival date: October 15 2012 - October 17 2012

• 2 months later...

£25 on Amazon.

I have a signed copy of 'And Gone Forever' the follow up to Each a Glimpse which I got for next to nothing as part of an offer in the Railway Book Club.

Perhaps I should cancel the Amazon order and have a signed pair.