'Each A Glimpse' by Colin T Gifford

Rugd1022

According to Amazon, its due on the 10th October. I do hope so.

Well, I see that the new book has already been "reviewed" and given five stars by three "reviewers" on Amazon. Obviously fans of Gifford's style, but wouldn't it be better to check the contents and standard of reproduction before submitting a review?

• 4 weeks later...

My message yesterday from Amazon was that delivery now expected between 15th December and 14th December.

However, the Book Depository (Amazon by a different name) is listing on the Amazon site at £15.33 + standard postage (£2.80) (more on their own website). Not sure about availability, nothing said there.

Is this book being printed on gold leaf? The publishers seem to have had so many delays with this reprint.

If you had worked with Colin, you would understand. He won't let it go until he's absolutely satisfied with it. That's why his work is always of such a high standard. Its not a reprint, by the way, its a new edition. As I understand it, all the photographs have been re-printed from the negs, scanned and re-touched anew and there are even some different photos in it. The original would have been printed letterpress by 1960s technology and there's no way that a reprint of 50 year old plates would be acceptable. I understand, however, that the new version is now printed and available.

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 6

I hasten to add that the above comments are what I've been told by a mutual friend. It's a long time since I last saw Colin (when I gave a slide show in Stevenage about 2-3 years ago). I hope we can meet up again soon. Who knows? - might get a review copy of the book!

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

Got a strange message from Amazon on Friday saying that they were having problems with processing my payment for my order - could be that since I ordered it last year, the card that I used had expired - but I have registered the replacement with Amazon anyway, but as soon as I corrected the order, I got the following

We thought you'd like to know that we've dispatched your item(s). Your order is on the way, and can no longer be changed. If you need to return an item or manage other orders, please visit your orders on Amazon.co.uk.

So the book is now available again at long last, though I suspect that as it's effectively a different book, we can still expect to be paying silly money on Ebay for mediocre copies described as excellent and mega-silly money for proper excellent copies - how I wish I hadn't sold mine in those times when my interest in railways had waned due to the other demands of life - it went in a job lot, along with Decline of Steam and many other quality pictorial albums that were taking up space?!?!

• RMweb Premium

Mine came this morning, and it is well worth the wait - it really brings the memories flowing back - both of the railway as I remember it - ie not always on a sunny day from the lineside, but often from a distance or caught through a gap, or through the fog, etc - and also of the book itself and for its premature disposal.

However, I was none too pleased with Amazon's delivery as they used Yodel, and they just left the parcel on the doorstep in the rain when they couldn't get an answer - I'm waiting for Amazon's explanation, and depending on what they say wil depend whether I use them again for anything.

Got mine today. I shan't spoil the suspense too much for those who have yet to read it but it can do no harm to say this much.

First of all it is NOT just a reissue of the old 1970 classic. I have both and can compare like for like and whilst it is broadly the same it is also very much a new book which won't hurt the value of the earlier pressing.

The preface is completely new for a start. There are fewer shots, 228 versus around 280 in the 1970 edition, and maybe 20 or so are totally new, so perhaps 70 have gone, Odd thing is, you don't miss them which maybe says they shouldn't have been there. In fact the new edition seems to have MORE shots somehow, even though there are less.

Some of the old shots have been resized, usually bigger but a few are smaller, mostly this works in both cases and the old shot of the WD on the Forth bridge in it's new size is simply brilliant, but I have to say a couple of my personal favourites have suffered. That's just a niggle though, almost always the results have been to dramatically improve.

So is it better-can such a classic be improved upon? Got to say, yes, I think it can and it has been. The 1970 version is a masterpiece but the 2012 version is better, not radically different or anything but somehow just..better. if Colin Gifford's style is your thing, get this book straight away.

Got mine today too. Not much to add to what Russell says, and I've only had a very quick compare with the original issue. The new cover is complementary in style to the much later "... and gone forever".

Some wallowing on the sofa will no doubt follow later this evening!