'Each A Glimpse' by Colin T Gifford

Rugd1022

Mine came this morning, and it is well worth the wait - it really brings the memories flowing back - both of the railway as I remember it - ie not always on a sunny day from the lineside, but often from a distance or caught through a gap, or through the fog, etc - and also of the book itself and for its premature disposal.

However, I was none too pleased with Amazon's delivery as they used Yodel, and they just left the parcel on the doorstep in the rain when they couldn't get an answer - I'm waiting for Amazon's explanation, and depending on what they say wil depend whether I use them again for anything.

Jonathan Smith is CEO of Yodel. Here is his e.mail contact address (I presume she is his PA): emma.pollard@yodel.co.uk

I should drop him a line and tell him how bad their service is.

Edited by Steve Williams

Having cancelled my Amazon pre-order during the dates fiasco, my subsequent über-cheap order from the Book Depository arrived yesterday. Not helped by calling in at Ian Allan, Waterloo (small expense) and the remainder bookshop nearby (rather more) on the same day.

Let me start by saying that it's an excellent book and worth the wait. The photographer's eye for composition and the people bringing life are excellent. Here is the railway depicted as it really was - dirty, dismal, almost depressing. So many of the pictures don't merely illustrate, they communicate the "feel" of the subject.

My favourite - spoiler alert - has to be the boy in shorts scratching his "bottle and glass" while watching an A3 Pacific at Darlington.

However, as this is a new book, rather than just a re-printing, I'd say that - if anything - there are perhaps too many images. I know it's Colin Gifford's trademark, but so many unrelieved low-contrast scenes (pushed Tri-X?) make me wish for a few more pictures in good weather with a wider tonal range. (It doesn't help to be looking through the book on a typical November day - come sharp, bright days in January and snow on the ground, it'll all be different...). Oh well, that's me labelled as a heretic.

I see from the preface that a colour album is planned. I'll look forward to it.

Edited by EddieB

My copy has arrived and it is well worth waiting for,I had forgotten the quality of Mr Giffords photography, every picture is fantastic with so many details to look for.The pictures taken in the Lune Valley are especialy evocative ,his ability to obtain a picture in conditions that many would not is a true talent.Lets hope that someone will persuade the publishers to republish some more of his titles.

• 1 month later...

Got a copy for Xmas and I'm blown away by the imaginative approach adopted by the photographer . This is fine art and it captures a fuller picture of what the railway was like back then . 

If Ian Allan want some feedback; do reprint his other titles . I'd buy the lot in a heartbeat . 

• RMweb Gold

My copy arrived shortly before Christmas and I can't resist dipping into it at regular intervals. Colin Gifford's work has been an inspiration to me and, I know, many others, so I'm therefore delighted the decision was taken to reproduce this to current standards. A truly seminal work.

I recived my copy for Christmas. Most of the pictures were taken in the sort of light that most photographers would go straight down the pub to avoid. However colin has managed to capture the atmosphere perfectly. In some of the pictures it is only the smoke in the distance that gives any clue that there is a train somewhere in the distance. One picture that stands out for me is of a train leaving a station going off in to the distance. Somehow I have never been able to take a decent picture like this but from now on I shall keep trying. There are alot off different techniques that I am going to persue rather than the same old 3/4 front shot. Black & white pictures taken on dull days are a recipie for disaster so I thought but this book compleatly rewrites the rule book.

I'm glad digital photography has come along else this could prove to be very expensive as I'm sure I shall be deleting alot of rubbish in the future as I try to emulate Colins photography.

David

• 5 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Does anyone have any news of Colin Gifford's forthcoming book please? Kidderminster Railway Museum has associated events 4-19 August for the 50th anniversary of the end of BR steam. Thanks.

This is on the SVR website. I'll try and find out some more info.

Launch of the book 'Transition' – this is the latest book of photographs by Colin T Gifford, widely recognised as one of most important and influential photographers of the period.

• Like 1

Transition? Sounds promising...

I remember sneaking a look inside the original volume at the bookstall on Grantham station while trainspotting there in my teenage years. The man behind the counter was otherwise distracted with a customer who *could* afford to buy something. 

I was soon told to pay the money or take my grubby hands of the book, but had seen enough to make me determined to save up for it. I would have loved to try to emulate CTG but steam had already ended by then; and my Kodak Instamatic was somewhat lacking for that kind of photography. 

Oh well, never mind....  I always have the books. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

On 4th August 2018, to coincide with the 50th anniversary of the last regular steam working on British Railways, Colin Gifford's latest book called 'Transition' will be published.   The book concentrates on the period from the late 1950s to the end of steam traction on British Railways in August 1968 and Colin has captured on camera this changing scene where diesel and electric traction was being increasingly used at the expense of the steam locomotive. 

Colin's pictures of this transition period are taken in his usual evocative, atmospheric and artistic style.  The book contains 180 pages and 257 photographs nearly all of which show more than one form of motive power, but always with steam to be seen somewhere on the image.  It is a hard back book with a dust jacket.

The launch of  'Transition' will coincide with an exhibition of photographs to be held at Kidderminster Railway Museum between 4th and 19th August depicting the last few years of British Railways steam.  Colin will be in attendance at the event on 4th August to sign copies of his book.

• 3 weeks later...

I will be ordering a copy.

Where do you order a copy from Kiderminster Museum don't post out orders any more, so unless you visit them where else can

you obtain a copy,  not seen any book sellers listing this unlike all his previous books, unless they will be distributed to

sellers after 4th August.

Edited by paul 27

• 11 months later...