Modelling Aylesbury Station (Risborough & District MRC)

David, information from our bridge engineers is that the foot bridge had a steel deck, with anti slip coating, this is what they remember before the foot bridge was replace with the pile of muck that stands there now.

Ian G

We have been having a major rethink on our model of Aylesbury, as originally planned it was going to be end to end but have since thought of making it roundy roundy adding the Met bays etc. We have added nine inches to the side of the current boards. One of those involved with the project has suggested that we build brand new baseboards all at once and transfer the track we build on it ply base to the new boards. We could also avoid a baseboard joint through one of the waiting rooms.

I have since acquired a couple of different large scale plans which were scanned and imported into AutoCAD with the track plan then drawn over the top. Without compression it works out around eighteen feet scenic section plus we need to add return loops either end I was looking at around five feet radius. The viewing side is to the top of the plan.

xnrz2f.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

It has been a while since the last post, the decision has now been made to start from new with new baseboards and turn Aylesbury in a roundy roundy. Quite a bit of planning was done to ensure we don't make or repeat mistakes.

The whole layout will be 31.5 feet long and around 12 feet deep. the boards are 25mm foam with 3mm ply laminated to the top and bottom. the idea is that the boards will located in a several storage boxs which in turn will support the baseboards, so everything will be self contained.

All the baseboards storage boxes and legs will be built first hopefully by March 2016 and we plan to run the two main lines within a year.    

The model is not compressed although some trackwork has been adjusted very slightly to avoid baseboard joints. The plan was drawn up in AutoCAD and a map imported and scaled to fit while the track was drawn in Templot and again imported. as can be seen things are not far out. The curves at the end will need to be adjusted but hopefully we are almost there on design work.

David

post-186-0-54414700-1450963400_thumb.jpg

Edited by David Bigcheeseplant
  • Like 15

• 9 months later...

I am working on the main station building at the moment I have drawn it up in Inventor but am currently using Autodesk Fusion 360, I have used the original 1925 drawings from Network Rail to make sure everything is correct, even though the building still stands there were a number of items if was impossible to work out. Once the building has been finished in 3D I can then create the files for laser cutting. The smaller waiting rooms provided a test on how the components can be assembled but the main building is much bigger so will require more thought. There is also the canopies with link all three buildings and the footbridge between the platforms together.

David

post-186-0-07021200-1476624984_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I have been drawing up the cupula for the top of the station building, I have some quite detailed drawings even so it has taken quite a while to convert from feet and inches to a metric 4mm model, I hope to 3D print this unit as it seems to be the best way of producing it. I have now got in to the swing of using Fusion 360 and it really is very good at doing stuff like this.

post-186-0-99924100-1477600739.jpg

• Like 3

I think I have now got the design of the Cupula correct using the original drawings and current photos. Up to the late 1960s there was a Boyles Ventilator in it although I have no drawings for this so had to guess on dimensions from old photos.

While taking photographs at the station yesterday I was told in the next week or so work will start on refurbishment of the station with includes a new footbridge and canopies, also I think the Cupula is being replaced with a GRP copy!

post-186-0-76035400-1477940513_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-47432000-1477940531.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the recommendation, David. I have been thinking about a CAD system so I tried to download but got the error message "Your operating system is not supported. Fusion 360 is supported on 64-bit Windows 7 or newer and 64-bit Mac OS X 10.10 or newer."

Seems that Windows 7 32bit is not supported, but a nice idea.

Are there any CAD systems (2 or 3D) that will work on Windows 7 32bit, I get the idea that other variants of AutoCAD are very expensive.

Regards

Thanks for the recommendation, David. I have been thinking about a CAD system so I tried to download but got the error message "Your operating system is not supported. Fusion 360 is supported on 64-bit Windows 7 or newer and 64-bit Mac OS X 10.10 or newer."

Seems that Windows 7 32bit is not supported, but a nice idea.

Are there any CAD systems (2 or 3D) that will work on Windows 7 32bit, I get the idea that other variants of AutoCAD are very expensive.

Regards

If you want a 2D Cad programme go for ProdgeCAD smart as that does work on earlier Windows, and it is just like AutoCAD

• 2 weeks later...