Modelling Aylesbury Station (Risborough & District MRC)

2ahxiqh.jpg

A few more shots of the model from Fusion, also I have managed to get hold of some of the station awing as refurbishment is underway and this was going for firewood, I not been able to get close enough to measure it in the past so getting hold of some has proved good to get the tape measure on it. in fact each part is only 4 inches wide, I would have thought they would have been around 6 inches looking at them on the station.

post-186-0-76515100-1481394596_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-31702800-1481394624_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I am now working on the steelwork and canopy details for Aylesbury on the Fusion 3D model, now the building is more or less worked up I am now transfering it to the files to be cut on the laser cutter.

For those who might be interested I hopefully should have laser cut and 3D printed bits at our Risex show in Princes Risborough on 18th Feb, we will have a few demos on what we have done to date on our Aylesbury model including plenty of hand built cosmetic trackwork. 

post-186-0-26896200-1486068656_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-27209900-1486068670_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-41566200-1486068686_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

15ib13p.jpg

28qu2c7.jpg

Is this better?

maybe not!

the parts are just pushed together although having separate parts allows you to paint things before assembly allowing a good colour break. the gulf red on the doors is red primer from a can which seems to be spot on for the colour the cream is Humbrol 103 airbrushed on.

Edited by David Bigcheeseplant
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Very impressive, David, I have a feeling that I'm looking at the future of model railways.

The 3D printed doorway looks good, can I ask if it was commercially done, and if so did the surface need much cleaning/smoothing?

Edited by Mikkel

The doorway surrounds was printed by Shapeways in UFD and was not cleaned up at all it was just sprayed with Pheonix stone colour, unless you put 10x magnification on it you can't see any print lines. I don't see the point in 3D printing if you need to clean or polish thing before you need to use them.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Weird thing is that they are the right way up when I view on an ipad but upside down on a PC or laptop! 

Turn your iFad around 180degrees? :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A couple of photos of the walls of the stayion building some plinths have been added and also the 3D printed downpipe brackets which work really well. 

We will have a small display of the models and other research materials we collected at Railex this weekend. Including the North & South signal boxes,

David

post-186-0-62259100-1495391887_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-73678100-1495392189_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

I am now assembling the station building it is ammazing how much material has been used. I was quite happy in the way the protective bars have come out on the doors, these are laser cut 0.3mm wide.

We will have all the boards assembled and everything we have done so far at our open Saturday on 8th July at Princes Risborough community centre. We have now built, laid and wired all the trackwork in the fiddle yard including all the point motors.

David

post-186-0-64219800-1498399598_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-90518700-1498399689_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-29166800-1498400217_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

I have now laser cut some of the walls and have 3D prints of the entrance doorways, so the virtual model is now becoming a real model, also I have now got from Modelu round and square downpipe brackets, which are tiny.

Brilliant!

But how do you prepare laser-cutting files from Fusion 360?

I create a drawing of the parts I need in Fusion from a separate assembly, these are then exported to AutoCAD or any 2D drawing package where I add the mortar lines, and add an offset normally about 0.05 to take account of the thickness of the laser cutter. I also add 0.5mm tags so each component stays on the sheet until needed they can then just be snapped out with fingers or removed with a knife. The laser imports a DXF file which is easily exported from the DWG file.

The more I use Fusion the more I like it, I am even using it at work now.

David

post-186-0-84454200-1501852745_thumb.png

• Like 1