Modelling Aylesbury Station (Risborough & District MRC)

This is my card mock up of the engine shed I am building for our clubs Aylesbury Town project; I drew up the building in AutoCAD with all the correct brickwork with quarter closure bricks at all corners.

I am getting York Modelmaking to laser cut the whole lot in 1.5mm Romark (a modified form of ABS) each wall will be built of three layers the outer brickwork in 1.5mm Romark a centre clear 1mm acrylic and again a 1.5mm Romark inner skin with all brickwork detail.

Before I sent it off to get cut out I printed out everything out on paper which was then glued to card and then the parts cut out and assembled to give me an idea of how it would look and make sure everything worked as it should.

When York Modelmaking cut out the sides they will also chamfer the mating corners on a circular saw at 45 degrees so each side mates correctly without losing any of the corner brickwork detail.

David

post-186-010263600 1289133192_thumb.jpg

post-186-080715100 1289133287_thumb.jpg

post-186-002343400 1289133331_thumb.jpg

post-186-087996300 1289133367_thumb.jpg

Edited by David Bigcheeseplant
  • Like 4

Hi David,

You might want to consider using a laser cutter to cut the windows from a sheet of self-adhesive paper. I've tried this with my laser cutter and the results are pretty good.

I've attached an image of Aynho Junction signal box that I have modelled in N gauge. Everything has been laser cut or scored with card used for the brickwork.

Good luck,

50031Hood

post-4843-009011100 1289236374_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi David,

You might want to consider using a laser cutter to cut the windows from a sheet of self-adhesive paper. I've tried this with my laser cutter and the results are pretty good.

I've attached an image of Aynho Junction signal box that I have modelled in N gauge. Everything has been laser cut or scored with card used for the brickwork.

Good luck,

50031Hood

What is the thinest line you can cut down to and are curves possible? if I send you drawings over any chance of doing my windows?

David

• 2 weeks later...

These are the laser cut windows Paul has cut for me all I can say is they are truly outstanding

I also picked up at Warley the laser cut sides of the shed, I will try and take some more pics at the weekend as this was taken in poor light but you can see the correct English bond brickwork with quater brick closer, I am experementing now how to paint it!

post-186-011472400 1290542190_thumb.jpg

post-186-097537500 1290542229_thumb.jpg

post-186-076240400 1290542434_thumb.jpg

post-186-034489200 1290542478_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice work David (and Paul). B)

I reckon laser cutting - or etching - are definitely the best approach for buildings, if prototypical bonding patterns are required. To be honest, the correct bonding patterns have always been an obsession of mine and not having the skill or patience of Geoff Kent and frustrated by the shortcomings of embossed styrene, I've never really attempted many buildings in the past.

However, I am working on some laser cutting artwork of my own for assorted 7mm scale projects as time permits, though I think it'll be a while before anybody sees the end results!

Regards

Dan

These are some of the parts York Modelmaking laser cut for me, also a test piece that I am trying to paint, I first gave it a spray of halfords red primer, then ran mortar colour in the grooves, then I have dry brushed the brick work, I think I need to get the colour a more orange colour I may try colour pencils or water colour as per Pendon.

I dont have too many colour pictures of the shed but took some photos of the footbridge brickwork that was built at the same time and was demolished a couple of years back.

David

post-186-032773200 1290545837_thumb.jpg

post-186-062302300 1290545913_thumb.jpg

post-186-067668000 1290546362_thumb.jpg

I assembled the three walls of the office at the rear of the shed using plastic weld the mitre corners with correct brickwork round the corners and windows shows up well here.

I also added more mortar colour in to the test pieces, and although I still need to get the base colour correct this effect was achived without too much effort.

post-186-007203000 1290861045_thumb.jpg

post-186-057870200 1290861095_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi David :)

Thats looking really good. I honestly think that aser cutting is the right way to go about making model builldings if its in N, OO, or O scales, it is fantastic at reproducing brickwork, tiles, and window frames. Your work so far along with others is a classic example. I got a glimpse of your windows at the Warley show and they really did look the part.

FYI I have been looking at personal use laser cutters and there are some out there that are falling well below the £1000 mark so it makes it VERY tempting!

Great modelling.

Missy :)

• Like 1

David, sorry to get picky but the mortar in that pic of the bridge pier you posted is gray, and darker than the bricks, whereas, your sample, though looking very good, is yellow, and lighter than the bricks.

I still need to play around with the colours, and intend maybe to darken the mortar later, the picture is of a test piece anyway. I don't have many colour photos but have a feeling the shed may been a bit darker or weathered than the bridge pillar anyway, I find it easyier to go darker if need be than make things lighter.

Does anyone have any photos of the hut on the end of the up platform it was the original Aylesbury and Buckingham signal box then later a porters room and was there untill around fifteen years ago.

David

post-186-082066100 1290869644_thumb.jpg

post-186-018821100 1290869759_thumb.jpg

I still need to play around with the colours, and intend maybe to darken the mortar later, the picture is of a test piece anyway. I don't have many colour photos but have a feeling the shed may been a bit darker or weathered than the bridge pillar anyway, I find it easyier to go darker if need be than make things lighter.

David

Hi David,

Glad to see you've made a start to the shed - it's looking good. As it is all Rowmark you may find that the use of coloured crayons/pencils is not too successful. They are fine on primed mdf but less so on plastics.

I see from the coloured photos attached the inside of the shed is dirty white with the lower 6ft black. I used Halfords white primer and a mix of 'black' acrylics to do the inside of Barrow Road.

I note you have used Plastiweld with success to join the sections of Rowmark. As I had no need to join plastic to plastic on BR I shall try it on my latest offering from York Modelmaking - the signal box.

Keep up the good work.

Robin

Yesterday I sprayed the outside walls with red primer followed by airbrushing over a mix of Humrol orange and a small amount Pheonix dark brick red,

Today I painted Humrol 121 light stone and wipped it off so the paint remained in the mortar lines, I need to do more work but its starting to look ok and the colour seems close to the terriced house opposite.

I had thought the inside of the shed was chocolete and cream but it may be while and black, whatever the colour its not very clean.

David

post-186-022901800 1290945150_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have now painted and assembled the lean-to offices on the side of the shed and added the laser cut windows, I think the effect is getting there although I need to still do some work on the paintwork.

I attended a meeting of railway men who worked at the shed last week and at least two of them said there was no door in the end wall of the offices, I said it was on the drawing I worked from, and it was not until I found a photo of it that I proved my point, just goes to show even those people who know something really well can be mistaken! I did find out that the inside of the office was white washed and green up to waist level, something I am planning to add.

David

post-186-055092600 1292150908_thumb.jpg

post-186-002811800 1292150988_thumb.jpg

• Like 3