Matt's Hornby Crane detailing thread. Now starting on Mk2!

angell328

Hi Ringo,

If you use to work on to work on the cranes and you like what I'm doing then I must be doing something right! :D

I'm thinking of using the Hornby hook cut down a bit for the light hook, and to scratch build a hook for the main hoist and assemble it into the tackle block I have already knocked up.

If you have any pointers, corrections ect then I would be most apprecitive. They may not get inclueded in this model but it seems I will be making at least one more after this!

Cheers

Matt

Morning steve!

The new chassis runs a dream, no longer bumping over the sleepers. It copes well with point turnouts but as my layout has no curves as such I will have to wait untill I come down yours next to try it on your layout! If it falls over then ill try it without the center wheels. If that works then Ill take the flanges off the center two wheels.

Hoping to get paint onto the match trucks tonight and maybe some yellow onto main crane. Need to find my old spirograph set for the main turning cog tho!

Untill tonight cheers guys!

Matt

Evening all,

Not too much to show tonight due to watching paint dry!

The match trucks got a coat of hull red and whilst that was drying I decided to remake the hook tackle block as I wasnt too happy with the first version.

I made some new pulley wheels for the inside so they looked more balanced and put some crossmembers top and bottom flush mounted.

DSCF6705.jpg

The old Hornby hook was cut off the moulding of the tackle block and filed down enough to fit in the new block. A generous helping of superglue helped it sit in firmly enough to hold a good wieght, if ever called for!

DSCF6706.jpg

DSCF6708.jpg

Whilst I was building up the new hook the undercoat had dried and the first few layers of yellow went onto the entire assembly.

DSCF6709.jpg

As the yellow was drying I made up a third cable spool out of one of the old crane bogie wheels. By shaving and sanding off the flange it now looks the part and fits in nicely. This will enable me to fit the second line upto the auxillary hook.

Once everything was dry I test fitted the new tackle block with the rigging, also fitting the elevation rigging to try a different way of setting the cable up.

DSCF6714.jpg

DSCF6712.jpg

So far so good, there are a few areas that im going to have to fill and sand again as the lighter yellow has shown up some areas I missed when it was in undercoat, but thats just normal for me!

Cheers

Matt

Thanks Cornish rail, is that a subtle hint at a commision build?!! :lol: ;)

I think the way things are going I might have more than just mine and steves to build!

Yep I'll be down tonight buddy, be interesting to see how the old girl handles the curves.

I'm not holding out much hope it will take the curves without some modification to the internal wheels. Should be fun to watch it fall over at least!

Cheers

Matt

Matt

Its looking good, but, as you asked for guidance, the main hoist, the hook should be a double hook in the shape of an anchor, the hook you have now is more akin for the auxilliary hoist.

Please Im not knocking your efforts, as I think that yiu are doing a sterling job.

Please excuse the spelling as Im in Poland for FPL and just immersed myself in several Polish beers,.......hic!

Cheers

R

Hi everyone!

Cheers for the tip Ringo, I knew that it had a double hook when used with the spreader bar, but I wasn't sure if it was interchangable with a standard hook when not in use with the bar.

Looks like I will be scrach building a new hook! :rolleyes: :D

Don't worry about telling me whats wrong! I appreciate all the bits I can get, especially from people who have had first hand experiance. Plus dont worry about spelling and grammer after a few of Polands finest brews, I'm worse sober! As I'm sure a few people have cringed there way through some of my attempts at English :D I wasn't dyslexic at school just thick! Dyslexia hadn't been invented then! :P

Onto tonights fun and games.

I managed to find my travel spirograph set (don't ask why I have one at 31!) and chopped one of the cogs to fit on the center bearing.

DSCF6717.jpg

DSCF6718.jpg

In my mind it finishes off the gap between the bogie and crane. Also seems to pull everything together and doesn't make the gap look as big.

DSCF6719.jpg

DSCF6720.jpg

Once that was done I travelled down to Steve's to find out how the old girl would handle a corner. Steves layout has between 3rd and 4th radius curves and things didn't go well!

DSCF6724.jpg

As you can see at the first corner the center wheels lifted her off the track and dumped her between the rails. (Anyone got a crane to re-rail her?!!) To be honest this was expected. As the wheels are held onto the axle via insulating rubbers I had a quick tweak and moved them inboard on both sides. The center two wheels now ran about 3mm inside the rails.

DSCF6721.jpg

Success! She goes round corners and runs like a dream, right upto the first set of points! The shifted wheels now try to run along the switch blade and lift and dump the trailing end off the track. Why on earth I didn't think that this would happen?! :huh: :crazy_mini:

So tomorrow I shall be taking the bogie into work and removing the flange off the center wheels with the dynofile. Moving them inboard at least proves that with the wheels flangeless the entire assembly with negotiate corners.

Cheers for all the goodwill guys and gals :drink_mini:

Matt

Matt,

on the full sized cranes the jib isnt actually attached to the crane, this allows a bit of movement when traversing curves, thats why yours is tring to wheel unload! I f the jib attached the same way, then it wouldnt try to derail, but Hornby made it fixed!

I have some detail pictures of ADRC 96708, that I took some years ago, if I can get them uploaded I will.

Regards

R

Hi Ringo,

Some more pics would be excellent. I am planning on doing a complete scratch build for my next one to the correct diamensions. You wouldn't know where I could grab a set of blue prints or a workshop manual do you?! :D

The main bogie no handles curves and points like a dream. I turned down the flange on the centre two wheels and no more problems. Hornby used floating wheel sets on the model for this very reason, but I had to have a go at tampering!

The jib rotates on the main bogie when traversing tighter curves, but I dont think even with the playing I've done it will go round 2nd radius. Wont be a problem for my layout (or the next one) as the are end to end. Cheating but hey it's my trainset! :lol: :lol:

The old girl is one the painting bench at the mo, I'm hoping to have some pics up tonight of how she is getting along. I will put some pics of the wheels as they are now too.

Cheers for the advice, I'm learning more usefull advice with ever post and message I get. Heres hoping the correct scale one I do will be spot on!

Cheers

Matt

Cheers Ringo thats amazing!

There will be a pm to you shortly!

Hi beeman,

The wheels are 14mm coach wheels. I'm not sure what make possibly Bachmann, they are from my friends spares box. He is at Warley operating this weekend so I will find out when he gets back.

The bearing cups are Romford, same as the 3 links. Although from what I've seen from bearing cups they all look the same to me! I standby to be corrected! :lol:

Glad your enjoying the Build. I've really got into this build, especially as it was just ment to be a quick 'make it look bit less toylike' job. I think my friend steve wants me to do some work on his for him, then I really want to do a full scratch build to the correct scale. And when I was up in the loft the other day I found my micro motors from an old helicopter, so motorization may occur!

Cheers,

Matt

Right then heres tonights pictures!

First of a picture of the wheels to show the comparison between the flanged and flangeless centres.

DSCF6737.jpg

DSCF6739.jpg

As you can see its not a big differance but it sure made a big differance in the running!

Still need to make the stabaliser legs to fit into the holes on bogie, got the I bar, just need to study some more pics.

Painted up the roof and underframes in tamiya flat black. Also sprayed the jib nose in black as I have some thin yellow decals to use for the warning strips.

DSCF6736.jpg

DSCF6732.jpg

As you can see I picked out the buffers and pulley tie bars in red as per the prototype.

DSCF6734.jpg

The bearing cog blends in much better now its black instead of that lovely crystal blue!

And to finish a long shot to give an overall view of how shes getting on!

DSCF6730.jpg

Cheers

Matt

on the full sized cranes the jib isnt actually attached to the crane, this allows a bit of movement when traversing curves, thats why yours is tring to wheel unload! I f the jib attached the same way, then it wouldnt try to derail, but Hornby made it fixed!

Somewhere on this Interweb thingy there are some pictutre of a crane being taken away from Old Oak Common. The jib and main carriage have been separated and the forked bottom end of the aticulating jib is shown. I think it is on a site relating to Departmental vehicles. Nice to see that you know which way round the jib carrier goes with the higher point of the 'V' towards the crane, There are spigots on each side of the jib which engage in the V and draw the jib away from the main carriage for transit.

Hi all,

So who would have thought spirograph and railway modeling ould live in perfect harmony together! :lol: I must admit that whilst the paint and glue was drying last night I may have indulged in making some pritty patterns on some paper scraps! :blush: :blush_mini:

Thanks for the technical detail on the floating jib, I know have a good understanding of what I will have to do for the next one. Will be usefull to actully make the jib match truck do its job as per the prototype, carrying the jibs weight and helping with streering control.

Just got back from getting a few consumables. Going to dye the thread now and hang it with a wieght on the end as it dries to get rid of its curl.

Until this evening

Cheers

Matt

Evening all,

Had a day of detailing and rigging.

I dyed the thread with black Indian ink, a few minutes soaking in the bottle was all it needed. Then I hung the thread with a heavy weight on the end, in this case a full can of thinners.

DSCF6742-1.jpg

After a few hours hanging the thread lost its curl from the spool. This really helps once its on the kits as the lines lay straight when unloaded.

The three spools where wound round the drums tight and then the fun of rigging the lines started!

DSCF6748.jpg

DSCF6749-1.jpg

The third line is for the auxillary hook. I have found a hook in the bits box, just need to make a small pulley and frame.

DSCF6772.jpg

The jib match truck received its wooden deck using humbrol 93, when this was dry it got a dry brush with humbrol 160. When this has set fully I will give the deck an oil wash to pick out the wood grain.

DSCF6750.jpg

DSCF6781.jpg

The elevating roof was attached to the cab roof using a strip of swann morton foil. This acts as a hinge and allows me access to the internals. Also if I ever feel the need I can get to the drums to wind the cable on to lift the jib. Not an easy job, but if a siding ever needs a bit of 'action'!!

DSCF6776.jpg

The match trucks had the sides sprayed with tamiya flat black, this will give a good base for detailing and weathering.

Lastly I picked out the hand wheels, pipe and cable runs in white. They look a bit stark now but will tone down under a few wash coats and weathering.

DSCF6782.jpg

DSCF6783.jpg

Thats all for today, hoping to get some more paint layers on tomorrow and start some detailing. Before I go had a few questions of things in the back ground and why I seem to have so many spare parts. So a few pics of what else I build!

DSCF6761.jpg

DSCF6760.jpg

DSCF6759.jpg

DSCF6754-1.jpg

DSCF6758.jpg

Night all!

Matt

Fantastic is the word that springs to mind, tonight was the first time I've ever seen this thread and I was mesmerized had to read and look at the picture from start to finish, can not wait for the next instalment, many thanks too you for taking the time to share this wonderful build with us and all the photo's :D

Excellent work, especially utilisation of the bits and pieces, on going pics too, can I ask what wheels and bearing cups u used and where from please, Beeman

Hi Beeman, the wheels are 14mm romford coach wheels and the bearings are Romfords top hat bearings. Available from Mainly trains amongst others.

http://www.mainlytrains.co.uk/acatalog/index.html

Hi all,

Sorry for the lack of updates, work time is infringing on playtime!

Thanks for the comments big daddy ray, I am amazed at how many nice comments and how popular this project has been! I'll try not to let you down with the updates! :lol:

Stadman, yet again some great pictures. The pics of the floating connection on the jib will comein very usefull for the next build.

Steve, thanks for the info on the wheels and bearings, to me they where just shiny things!!

Cheers

Matt

Archived