Change here for Penhydd, Llangunllo & Bleddfa Road.

sparky

Evening Chaps,

I mentioned earlier that I was converting an old Lima milk tank to EM and making one or two improvements to it as I went along. The completed model can be seen on on the right in the following photo, beside it is the Dapol model. Another tank has already been converted to EM and I am toying with the idea of modelling it with an end filler cap

post-93-021217900 1290094950_thumb.jpg

Just musing, but would it be possible to put a blob of filler on the inside (small blob) and outside (larger blob) to give an impression of the chairs?

I am thinking of the work of that EM master Peter Denny, who used a big blob of solder on the outside and a touch of poly filler on the inside.

It has crossed my mind Simon and when I first built the points I did try cutting a few chairs from waste sleeper base to see if I could improve the look of things. To be honest adding the chairs drove me crazy, so I think it would be rather difficult at this stage to add a uniform blob of filler and retain my sanity.

Hi Geoff

I must admit that I hadn't come across your layout before on the Forum and just wanted to say I think you have done a brilliant job in evoking that most elusive of things - atmosphere. Either it exists on a layout or it doesn't - no matter how good the modelling. I certainly agree with a previous comment as well about the superb realism on the weathering of the milk tanker - it's certainly how I remember them. Any info on how you achieved that would be very welcome. In the meanwhile I shall hide my tankers until I can arouse some confidence to have another crack!!

Really great Geoff & many congratulations and I look forward to any future photos you may post

All the best

exmoordave

Thank you Dave,

I think in some respects the forum has become a victim of it's own success, you could spend so much time here trying to view all the content..

As for milk tanks I can't remember taking much notice of them, I was more interested in what was pulling the train rather than what was behind it ! However I have been lucky enough to come across a few colour photo's and have used them for reference.

Precision paints and Carrs weathering powders have been used on the models. I started off painting the solebars and tank in Dull Dirty Black, some of which was slighty removed around the tank lettering with a cotton bud. Below the solebar I have used a mix of the same black with Brake Dust, the mix being varied as I have gone along. Some of this has also been lightly brushed on the frames, tank supports, headstocks and brushed up from under the tank. White milk stains are Dull White mixed with a wash of dirty thinners and allowed to run down the tank onto the frames. A little light rust has been dry brushed over raised detail such as rivets etc. Whilst the paint was still tacky shades of grey weathering powders were added to the tank with a little rust thrown in for good measure. Off white powders were placed over the white stains and rust also applied to the axle boxes and brack blocks, you will find that the powders will help blend everything together.

I hope the above is of help and you will get those tanks out and see what you can do. The most difficult part is plucking up the courage to weather a brand new model, so practice and experiment on an old broken one first.

your memory has served you well, your recollection from your personal observations is plain to see, and the overall, consistently excellent effect is due in no small part to that first-hand experience that you bring to the picture. All that can be seen is plausible, nothing out of place, and no hint of any "model of a model" cliche - this is very definitely a model of a railway rather than a model railway.

Thank You John, it is very satifying that so many others can see what Penhydd is all about.

Before I sign off just a couple of photos showing the milk tanks in action.

post-93-085367700 1290094988_thumb.jpg

post-93-001030400 1290094880_thumb.jpg

post-93-049419800 1290094908_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Geoff.

• Like 8

Those milk tanks look just as I remember them on the Whitland- Kensington workings in the early 1970s. I wonder if one of the etching suppliers might be persuaded to do some of the various combinations of ladders and platforms which were a characteristic feature of these wagons?

Hi Brian,

Now that has given me an idea, David Geen does a kit in 4mm scale for a GWR tank, now I wonder if the ladders and platforms are available seperately ?

Cheers,

Geoff.

Have to say that I think your layout looks stunning in your pics.

Colin

Cheers Colin.

There is an alternative thread for this sort of picture...

So my son keeps telling me but I am happy posting here. :P

Anyway moving on, a little more weathering was done on the Hymek today and then the clock was wound forward to the swinging sixties.

Having dropped the brakevan off a couple of empty milk tanks were propelled under the bridge and into the dairy siding.

post-93-014865400 1290187764_thumb.jpg

post-93-083574400 1290187918_thumb.jpg

post-93-017209900 1290187897_thumb.jpg

Whilst all this was going on a Bubblecar was waiting for the road with a local passenger.

post-93-062846500 1290188104_thumb.jpg

post-93-083552300 1290188073_thumb.jpg

post-93-003069900 1290188294_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Geoff

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Colin.

So my son keeps telling me but I am happy posting here. :P

Anyway moving on, a little more weathering was done on the Hymek today and then the clock was wound forward to the swinging sixties.

Having dropped the brakevan off a couple of empty milk tanks were propelled under the bridge and into the dairy siding.

post-93-014865400 1290187764_thumb.jpg

post-93-083574400 1290187918_thumb.jpg

post-93-017209900 1290187897_thumb.jpg

Whilst all this was going on a Bubblecar was waiting for the road with a local passenger.

post-93-062846500 1290188104_thumb.jpg

post-93-083552300 1290188073_thumb.jpg

post-93-003069900 1290188294_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Geoff

There are not many passengers on that bubble car Geoff.I can see your station being closed by Mr Beeching. ;)

• RMweb Gold

They all crawled out of the pub and went by bus Rob !

post-57-017098100 1290204757_thumb.jpg

I do like this one - it has a real 'Titfield Thunderbolt' feel to it!

Always a pleasure to see photos of your work, Geoff, and I can only echo what others have said about those superb effects on the milk tankers! :)

• Like 3

The downside of this, Geoff - and one of the reasons you went for the blog type of posting initially - is that you will get lots of compliments (many of which would be more personal and meaningful as a PM) and lots of "me too" posts.

The only way to combat this is with a regular stream of updates, so that we don't have to wait too long for another inspiring selection of photos!

(Dang: I've drifted into compliments territory.)

To be honest Simon I thought blogs were the way to go but I don't feel the majority of people feel comfortable with them, somehow discussions don't seem to flow.

I do agree with you that PM's should be used more and indeed I have made many friends that way.

Lovely, bags pf atmosphere and great attention to detail.

Do you use a grassmaster?

Hi Blackrat,

No I don't use a Grassmaster, I use a mix of hanging basket liner, Silflor and static grass applied with a simple puffer bottle. I did a tutorial showing my methods on my blog here on RMweb http://www.rmweb.co....lflor-tutorial/

Cheers,

Geoff

• 4 weeks later...

Evening All,

Having received a few request for news of Penhydd here is a brief update as to the current state of play.

The Hymek is now complete and numbered D7039, it is seen here entering Penhydd with empty milk tanks.

post-93-034955000 1292693355_thumb.jpg

Another milk tank has been converted from the Dapol model and features an end filler cap and different catwalk / ladder assembly. Three more tanks await conversion and will be tackled in the New Year, together with the long awaited dairy.

post-93-058273100 1292693366_thumb.jpg

Pannier tank 4678 was completed today but no pics. have been taken yet.

This one taken at the beginning of the conversion shows extra lamp irons, a new smoke box dart and sanding gear linkages. New No. plates made from Martin Finney etched parts have also been fitted. Despite looking a little heavy the lamp irons are to scale and look much neater now they have been blackened. Wheels are by Ultrascale and are a simple drop in conversion job.

post-93-021672600 1292693387_thumb.jpg

I have also been asked if I have a general view of the whole layout, after looking through my pics. I came up with this old one.

post-93-069889300 1292693468_thumb.jpg

Finally

post-93-067094700 1292693540_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• 9 months later...
Guest oldlugger

This has to be one of my all time favourite layouts on RMweb (or anywhere else); the atmosphere you've created Geoff is exemplary and highly inspiring. I like everything about this layout, from the colours you've skillfully used through to that great looking class 121 DMU.

Cheers

Simon

Cheers Simon,

How long did it take you to dig this one out, my last post here was dated 18th December 2010 and I had forgot all about it !

You will find more recent post here........http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/69/entry-7259-progressupdated/

The Pannier has changed a lot since then and now looks something like this.

post-93-0-38112400-1318516316.jpg

Cheers,

Geoff

• Like 5

Cheers Simon,

How long did it take you to dig this one out, my last post here was dated 18th December 2010 and I had forgot all about it !

You will find more recent post here........http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/69/entry-7259-progressupdated/

The Pannier has changed a lot since then and now looks something like this.

post-93-0-38112400-1318516316.jpg

Cheers,

Geoff

Hi Sparky

I'm glad oldlugger did find the thread as otherwise I certainly wouldn't have come across such a superb piece of modelling.

Although I currently model modern image your portrayal is certainly how I recall the scene & is so well done it is captivating in its own right & holds the interest of anyone with a genuine interest in Railways.

Excellent

As stated by others,any other pictures would be great.

Bill

Many thanks to old friends and new for all your kind comments.

snapback.pngsteve fay, on 14 October 2011 - 21:46 , said:

This is an excellent representation of a GW BLT.

The modelling is superb.

I know some people say these themes are done to death but just looking at this it's re invented it all over.

Brilliant.

Cheers Steve,

The idea behind Penhydd was to get away from the usual chocolate box GWR and model it as I knew it in the 1950's. The WR being just as rundown and dirty as the rest of the BR system. I also set the location of the model on the Welsh Borders rather than the usual Devon and Cornish locations.

So instead of green engines with shining brass and copper you see them in weathered black livery, in fact everything has been toned down to reflect a less colourful age and a place well off the beaten track, rather than a bright, busy seaside terminus and I feel it makes a huge difference .

Lovely Layout Geoff, very inspiring.

What's the overall size?? It looks huge, but I have a feeling it's not as big as it looks.

All the best,

Matt.

Hi Matt,

The attached plan will give you an idea of size, note that the siding with the goods shed on it has now been extended onto the cassette deck which has been widened ready for a new creamery.

post-93-0-33300600-1318703178.jpg

The new goods yard arrangement

post-93-0-60969500-1318703294.jpg

post-93-0-11046300-1318704236.jpg

post-93-0-79503200-1318703451.jpg

I feel a curved baseboard and backscene with a big sky and low horizon add to the feeling of space. With a straight plank you normally see everything at once but with a curve if planned carefully that is not possible. As this last photo taken from near the control panel demonstrates

I don't normally update this thread as I have a blog here on the forum " The Penhydd Diary " and my own blogspot " The Chronicles of Penhydd" you can see more about the layout on those sites and you should find links somewhere on this thread to take you there.

Cheers,

Geoff

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Geoff,

That's the first time I've seen a track plan for Penhydd, and although I'd worked it out from photos, it is nice to see the plan drawn by the originator

You've done some lovely work putting in the new bridge for the dairy extension. There's nothing to suggest that the bridge has only recently been installed.

Totally seamless! I can only assume you resurfaced the whole of Penhydd Hall Lane to avoid a joint.

Regards

Richard