Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

Photo
- - - - -

Bachmann Desiro's

• Please log in to reply
388 replies to this topic

#376 FairwayJunction

FairwayJunction

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 13:31

I doubt it, The Desiro just needed a few tweaks to the tooling, a 442 would be all new tools and restricted to Southern areas.

There's a whole thread on the franchise and discussion on the 442's elsewhere.
How the 442's perform on a section of line they struggled on in the past and had to run as 10 cars, with restricted stops in poor conditions, remains to be seen ;) the sand bins are still there according to one of our MOM's!

Yes you are quite right, I don't know what South Western Trains are planning but the future will tell.

Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

#377 neal

neal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 16:40

I see that Bachmann will have another livery option for the 350, but if this is anything to go by I doubt anyone will want it!

http://www.westmidla...p_ThumbNail.jpg

Neal
  • Thanks x 1
  • Funny x 1
  • Like x 1

#378 FairwayJunction

FairwayJunction

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 23:50

I see that Bachmann will have another livery option for the 350, but if this is anything to go by I doubt anyone will want it!

http://www.westmidla...p_ThumbNail.jpg

Neal

That has to be one of the worst liveries I have ever seen. :no:

• Agree x 3

#379 Godfrey Glyn

Godfrey Glyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:19

Having collected my two versions from Alton last Friday I am delighted with them, Bachmann have done a really good job with the livery and if anyone fancies further weathering of the roof on individual carriages they can look at the photos I put up on the 'To weather or not to weather a SWT 450' topic. I think you would have to be both brave and competent to try!

Hopefully this run will sell well and Bachmann could very easily do another run of the weathered version by painting some of the roofs the darker blue colour that was applied almost randomly to carriages, presumably depending on the degree of weathering that had taken place. I was looking at some 450s yesterday from the footbridge at Eastleigh and noticed that even now the darker blue has not been applied to all of them. 

Having said all that, my wallet would appreciate a bit of a rest!

all the best

Godfrey

• Like x 5

#380 159220

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted Yesterday, 00:53

I did some research and the new franchise starting from the 20th of August will be called "South Western Trains". I wish they called it "London South Western" but oh well.  Anyway an interesting point to note is the new franchise is announcing plans to refurbish and enter 18 Class 442s to service for use on London Waterloo to Portsmouth services so perhaps we may see the class 442 in the future.

Not sure who your source is, as it is not fully accurate. During the Waterloo blockade the trading name of First MTR South Western Railway Ltd shall be called South West Trains with no new brand (thus de-branding of current) until post blockade. This shall be in early September with vinyls applied fairly quickly to the 450s et al. 

As for 442s, all I shall say is watch this space. I believed they would just be vinyl and rolled into service. I was very wrong, actually it is fairly exciting the plans for the 18 x 442s. New MD is an engineer so expect quality in the stock. 

Anyway...back to the Bachmann Desiro model... 

Who is up for lobbying retailers to release a limited edition of the local artist's 450 vinyls featuring the New Forest and the Jurassic Coast seen on 450112 and 450118 (not my photo): https://www.flickr.c...9203605/sizes/l Ive asked Kernow MRC! 

Edited by 159220, Yesterday, 00:54 .

• Like x 4
  • Agree x 1

#381 Karhedron

Karhedron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,316 posts
  • LocationBasingstoke (not Westphalia)

Posted Yesterday, 14:30

As for a 444 model, I think we have more chance in inventing a shrinking machine and stealing a real 444 to reduce to 1:76. Though those rare Steam engines and early BR locomotives where only a dozen or so were built all seem to be getting tooled now. So never say never to a 444 model! (Though I secretly pray for a 442 model nightly)

I agree, despite the common cab, there is little else of use to the modeler seeking to make a 444 from a 350/450. You would need entirely new body and chassis toolings which are the most expensive parts of a model. The fact that you could reuse the CADs for the front cabs and maybe the bogie toolings are unlikely to be enough change the economics of the project.

Also there is the case of numbers. There are over 200 350/450 Desiros in service but less than a quarter that number of 444s. Also the 444s are almost exclusively used on the Portsmouth and Weymouth lines with just the odd jaunt to Alton to break the monotony. I will keep my fingers crossed for the 444 and 442 but I won't expect them RTR any time soon.

Edited by Karhedron, Yesterday, 14:30 .

• Agree x 2
  • Like x 1

#382 Hue Jarse

Hue Jarse

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationFarnborough, Hampshire

Posted Yesterday, 22:08

The fact that you could reuse the CADs for the front cabs and maybe the bogie toolings are unlikely to be enough change the economics of the project.

You couldn't even reuse the CAD for the cabs without changes as a 444 coach is narrower than a 450. (Ask anyone who has driven both). This is neccessary due to the longer coach length causing more overhang which is compensated for somewhat by the coaches being narrower. This is also why the corridor connectors are noticeably longer on a 444.

• Informative/Useful x 2

#383 royaloak

royaloak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,861 posts
  • LocationIn the front pushing buttons.

Posted Today, 00:16

You couldn't even reuse the CAD for the cabs without changes as a 444 coach is narrower than a 450. (Ask anyone who has driven both). This is neccessary due to the longer coach length causing more overhang which is compensated for somewhat by the coaches being narrower. This is also why the corridor connectors are noticeably longer on a 444.

Indeed, I was forever banging my left elbow on the handrail on the 444 when applying full power.

If you look at the them from the front there is considerably less yellow to the side of the windscreen on the 444.

Edited by royaloak, Today, 00:17 .

#384 Southernman46

Southernman46

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,061 posts
  • Location5 leagues north of 72B, 4 leagues south of the old enemy, occasionally E6 too

Posted Today, 11:22

Relatively unusually for these days - Desiro's on the Virginia Water - Weybridge,

Bachmann's 450073 spends part of it's last weekday in SWT service on the branch ........ seen arriving at Weybridge yesterday - before that unbelievable rain arrived .........................

DSC04566.JPG

• Like x 2

#385 Midland Mole

Midland Mole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWaiting on a platform in Worcestershire for a train long gone.

Posted Today, 13:20

I went ahead and purchased a London Midland Desiro thanks to it being on clearance pricing. The only reason I did was the fact that the livery will soon be consigned to history, and I always quite liked it (one of only 3 modern liveries I do like).

That new livery the trains round my area will carry makes me want to throw up! What in the name of all that is holy was anyone in the design department for West Midland Trains thinking when they came up with that one!! :D

Alex

#386 bart2day

bart2day

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted Today, 19:06

I went ahead and purchased a London Midland Desiro thanks to it being on clearance pricing. The only reason I did was the fact that the livery will soon be consigned to history, and I always quite liked it (one of only 3 modern liveries I do like).

That new livery the trains round my area will carry makes me want to throw up! What in the name of all that is holy was anyone in the design department for West Midland Trains thinking when they came up with that one!! :D

Alex

What are the other two modern liveries you like?

Can we be certain that that livery is the one they will use? I have to add to the comments that it is truly awful.

Edited by bart2day, Today, 20:08 .

#387 nomadbackwards

nomadbackwards

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted Today, 20:07

My Dad took delivery of his non-weathered version a couple of days ago, so having been both a guard and driver of these units I was particularly interested to pop over and give it the once over! In addition to the aforementioned minor issues mentioned by other contributors to this thread, I did also notice the lack of guards office (or "goldfish bowl" as we refer to them!) next to the first class section which I thought was a bit of a disappointment. Overall though I thought it an impressive looking model.

#388 Midland Mole

Midland Mole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWaiting on a platform in Worcestershire for a train long gone.

Posted Today, 20:35

What are the other two modern liveries you like?

Can we be certain that that livery is the one they will use? I have to add to the comments that it is truly awful.

The normal Freightliner Yellow & Green livery (not the powerhaul version) and the DRS Compass liveries, especially on the Class 68. I also think the EWS livery is not too bad, but even that is pretty much a thing of the past now.

I hope with all my heart they don't go with that livery, but at the moment that picture is all we have to go on.

Alex

Edited by Midland Mole, Today, 20:36 .

• Like x 1

#389 Roy Langridge

Roy Langridge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • LocationCornwall and Hampshire

Posted Today, 20:45

The normal Freightliner Yellow & Green livery (not the powerhaul version) and the DRS Compass liveries, especially on the Class 68. I also think the EWS livery is not too bad, but even that is pretty much a thing of the past now.

I hope with all my heart they don't go with that livery, but at the moment that picture is all we have to go on.

Alex

And the new SWR livery isn't looking great either...

Roy