Bachmann Desiro's

smg201

• RMweb Premium

Now a BREL 319/320/321/322 would interest me. Being banging on about this for years! Also a 317 & 318 is not beyond imagination. Some spade work has been done with the Class 150, so show some initiative Bachmann! Certainly these in N gauge would be fab too!

These BREL EMUs are likely to be around for a long time to come with them heading to Northern England and Scotland as the wires go up over CP5 (2014-2019). So a good investment for Bachmann in terms of liveries we'll see another reshuffle of franchises over the next few years . . .

The Class 350 is ok, but thinking of the old BR regions its a LMR unit, Eastern region has none. We might see some if and when Manchester-Leeds-York/Hull-Middlesborough gets wired for Transpennine services, but that could 2018 or beyond!

The Class 350 is ok, but thinking of the old BR regions its a LMR unit, Eastern region has none. We might see some if and when Manchester-Leeds-York/Hull-Middlesborough gets wired for Transpennine services, but that could 2018 or beyond!

True but a simlple relivery and removal of the pantograph will give you a 450 for the Southern. A new cab front will give you a 360 for both LTS and Heathrow Connect routes. A 380 must surely be a possibility too.

Edited by Karhedron

I think 380s are also a 23m body - so ignoring the wierd pointy front end might be closer to the 185 than the 350. The 360 (Anglia fleet) I have a feeling has the toilets in a different place as well so might need a couple of changes, but rolling platform and basic shell ought to be there...

The Class 350 is ok, but thinking of the old BR regions its a LMR unit, Eastern region has none.

I'll say it again, as this is the first 'normal' AC EMU to get modelled then clearly somewhere has to be first! If they do a 360 on the platform of it then that would get you an Eastern region unit... ;)

But first-off i'd hope the 350 does well, as that will be the litmus test for whether there is a market for AC EMUs.

• RMweb Gold

Sales of this model will indeed be interesting. As said above, the 4-CEP has sold very well, despite many purchasers not having any third rail - as evidenced by pics in various places on RMWeb. However, the lack of third rail is far less obvious than an AC EMU sans electric string! While we do have layouts that have very fine OLE - e.g. Dagworth's Ravensclyffe - they do not appear to be numerous. Dapol's offering may indeed be timely, but I wonder how many will buy the 350 because it is a nice model (recent Bachmann performance makes this likely) and let the pan sit in its lowered position?

• 2 weeks later...

They're great looking models, and I'll definitely have one in N, but one thing that looks odd on those images is the inter car coupling. The long bar might do the job, but on the real thing there is a plethora of cabling between the cars,, carrying the power for the traction motors.

Admittedly, it would be a bu**ger to model, but that area looks too "empty" on these models.

• RMweb Gold

So-o-o-oo tempted but I must wait for the SouthWest Trains 450 versions that must surely follow.

Besides ... no money! :lol:

Same here (on both counts). The 450 is inevitable, I just hope its not a Collectors Club model!

I'm sure I could justify the Silverlink one as being part of an order from the SRA for extra stock for my layouts line or a London Midland one as a hire in for Southern. Must resist!

Photos are now up on Hattons site, tis an impressive model just not my period of intrest so I will not be partaking in one but it is good to see Bachmann catering for more era's and locations. I am sure those of you who get one will not be dissapointed!

• RMweb Premium

Certainly looks the part, can see this rather plain one getting discounted though sometime next year whereupon I would be seriously tempted to pick a couple up for repainting in a couple of what if liveries!! Also will do a SWT 450 if Bachmann don't announce one in the New Year (and I would be very suprised if they don't)

That is a very impressive model and captures the look of the prototype well. A shame about the tension lock at the front but at least it will be easy to remove.

Since these units are only likely to be coupled to others of their own kind, I wonder if the tension lock is necessary. Dapol's N gauge sprinters were fitted with scharfenberg couplers (sp) which bore a passable resemblance to the couplers on real DMUs. I wonder if such an approach would work better here?

Mine is due to arrive from Hattons soon.

I really hope this is a success for Bachmann and prompts more 25Kv units! Therefore I encourage you all to buy one even if you model 1889!!!

cheers

mark

I am tempted Mark!!

It would go very nicely with my CEPs & EPBs and the 2 Derby Lightweight DMUs due from Hattons tomorrow!

It might just be my eyes but the pictures of the 350's on Hattons site clearly show SHOEBEAM's fitted to the outer coach bogies as per the Class 450's - think that pretty much tells its own story about the likelihood of a 450. Couple of tweeks / different paint job etc....

post-5198-0-19418800-1321579740.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The 350/1's were fitted with shoebeams from the start and two units were even tested over SWT metals to get this facility certified. Later a small number of London Midland liveried examples worked for Southern on the Milton Keynes - East Croydon services during one of the DfT's great FCC Unit Farce Swap Cock Up's. The 350/2's I am led to believe do not have shoebeams.

The 350/1's were fitted with shoebeams from the start and two units were even tested over SWT metals to get this facility certified. Later a small number of London Midland liveried examples worked for Southern on the Milton Keynes - East Croydon services during one of the DfT's great FCC Unit Farce Swap Cock Up's. The 350/2's I am led to believe do not have shoebeams.

John is spot on here, here's some photo's to confirm that the 350/1s not only have shoebeams but have used them in anger. :)

350111 arrives at Clapham Junction to form a Milton Keynes service 27th May 2009350111ClaphamJcn270509-L.jpg

350118 and 350124 at Kensington Olympia, both on the 12th October 2009

350118KensingtonOlympia121009-L.jpg

350124KensingtonOlympia121009-L.jpg

• Like 2

As already stated the 350/1s have shoe beams but the actual shoe gear was removed very early on (it wasnt needed in normal service anyway) and sent down to Northam as spares for the SWT fleet.

The shoe gear then had to be refitted for the units use by Southern and I think it has now been removed again, it isnt really a big job.

The point is that Bachmann have chosen to model the 350/1 (and not a 350/2 either come to think of it)

I thought they were modelling both variants. It is only the 350/1's as per this initial release which pre dated the London Midland franchise hence the unbranded livery.

Edited by jonathan452