10000/10001

Pandora

Hi Paul, thanks for that. No, there's no layout thread because there's no layout! It's just a 3' x 2' module which I built twelve months ago for the modular layout at the RMWeb day in Taunton. It was also a test bed for a few building techniques and acts as a photo backdrop for various models. Here it is in it's entirety;

post-6861-0-04826700-1392575016.jpg

Arthur

Hi Paul, thanks for that. No, there's no layout thread because there's no layout! It's just a 3' x 2' module which I built twelve months ago for the modular layout at the RMWeb day in Taunton. It was also a test bed for a few building techniques and acts as a photo backdrop for various models. Here it is in it's entirety;

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Arthur

Lovely.

One of those images which flags up that we need an ability to choose more than one option in the like/love/craftsmanship clever series...

• 4 weeks later...

I received  a 10000  today,  runs  fine,  but  a little  surprised  when  fitting  the  decoder:

It  only had  6  body  retaining  screws  it   should  have  8  but  2  were  not  present!

when taking  the  body off the  chassis   3  sections  of  the  'glass' windows  fell out absolutely  no trace of  any adhesive on them  ( wheras  those  still in place  clearly  had  adhesive retaining  them!)

The lighting panel at  one  end  fell out, wheras the  other  end  was  securely  held in place.

These faults  were  easily  rectified,  and  the loco is  fine  now,  but  I am rather  surprised  as   I rarely  find  any faults  with  Bachman  locos.

The loco was  brand  new  still had the tissue paper wrapper sealed on the  box.

• 1 month later...

I ordered several variants of this model when first announced and I spoke to Rails when the green ones were due and they told me that due to the tooling mods required for the earlier versions (to avoid too many compromises) the black version might not be ready until late2014/ealy2015. I believe this information was made more widely available either through the Bachmann Collectors Club's "Works Report" or the printed monthlies. It will have been a long wait for the "twin set" but of course we might have waited forever! 

I suspect an equal amount of patience will be required regarding the Southern Triplets if they are to follow the D600s; Two of which I have had on order since the announcement.

There's plenty to be getting on with.

RP

I think it is also worth remembering that the project as a whole was delayed by the sad passing of Dick Flower who had been overseeing the Rails part of the programme and that the development was in effect taken totally in house by Bachmann.  Hence the slight change of plan when the green models became catalogue items. The back versions remaining "Rails Exclusives". This could also have  been  a reaction to the Hattons/Dapol product.

RP

What do you mean exactly by wonky?

They are not level, when looked at front-on, which is essential on oval buffers. It appears that the buffer heads are located in a slot that should make them level. However mine are not level, so I wondered if anybody else has had the same problem and if and how they cured it.

It looks like the buffer heads and tail could push out from behind, but I will have to take the body off to do that. Just have not got around to doing it as yet.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Found a link to the LMS building 10000 at Derby via the 10000 new build group.

A fascinating piece of history and a snapshot of late 1940s Britain, at the end at the official send off of this pioneering diesel almost every male was wearing a hat, how times have changed since then.

Interesting new build groups being set up, I'm watching the class 22 and this group with interest.

Neil

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Treated myself to the pair in BR Green and have to say they are absolutely stunning models.  One thing I do have an issue with though is that while 10000 is working faultlessly, 10001 has a running issue, in that it sounds like a drive is catching on something inside the body producing a lovely clicking noise!!

Having read the Bachmann gurantee, do you I consider looking to fix it or send back to the shop for another as its new? I am happy to pop the body but concerned this might invalidate the warranty, somethign I see the fiting of a decoder appears too!

I'd send it back  - if its anything to do with the drive train you are looking at the possibility of a partial or full strip down which always carries the risk of further damage.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just got my 10000 today courtesy of Hattons...............superb model!! BUT should it have spoked wheels?(hey I don't really care) Wonder if if Mr Lovett would consider releasing 10001 in compatible green liveries to 10000 so that we can run the twins together in the late 50s? gotta be more sales!! C'mon chaps.....no brainers?????????)

Rgds........Mike

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Has anyone found how to open these for servicing?

Just took the body off and you can't get to anything :(

What do you want to get to? Unless the motor is squealing then it will be be fine.

Clean the wheels, make sure pickups are touching the wheel backs and that's about it. Unless you have an issue?

What do you want to get to? Unless the motor is squealing then it will be be fine.

Clean the wheels, make sure pickups are touching the wheel backs and that's about it. Unless you have an issue?

Yep motor bearings need lubrication, classic scream noise

Archived