10000/10001

Pandora

While the Peak cab was obviously a development by Derby of its earlier LMS design, the actual diesel engine used in the Peak is a Sulzer and a forerunner of that in the 47. The same family of V16 EE engines were used in LMS 10000/1, the BR(SR) 10201-3, the 40s, 50s and (as a Ruston) the 56; the 37 engine was a smaller V12 version of the same family.

10000 and 10001 were heavyweights at over 130 tons each. The Peaks were around the same weight, or even heavier, depending on equipment fitted. The extra axle was simply a way of spreading the weight to reduce the individual axle loads to keep the civil engineers happy. Bulleid came up with the idea for 10201 - 3 and the 40s, 44s, 45s and 46s used essentially Bulleid's bogie design with some minor tweaks.

• 1 month later...

This has all gone very quiet. Have there been any moves or rumors of progress by either the Dapol/Hattons group or Rail/ Bachmann combination lately?

If there seems to be one constant in life,

it is that all delivery schedules,

whether they be for work or play,

SEEM TO BE MOVING TO THE RIGHT.

That is all. dry.gif

• 1 month later...
Guest jim s-w

I was under the impression that these were the forerunners of the "Peaks" which had the extra axle added to boost their brake force???

I don't think the extra axle on the peaks (or 40s) were braked in anyway

Cheers

Jim

After todays Bachmann new products going live on the web I wonder if these have been moved from Rails to a general Bachmann release?

It seems to me, what has quite possibly happened is Bachmann have decided to do the versions Rail's have decided not to do (ie. the least popular ones)

• RMweb Gold

It seems to me, what has quite possibly happened is Bachmann have decided to do the versions Rail's have decided not to do (ie. the least popular ones)

Having been at the Bachmann Trade event yesterday I can confirm that the liveries announced by Bachmann are those liveries that Rail's of Sheffleld will not be doing.

Having been at the Bachmann Trade event yesterday I can confirm that the liveries announced by Bachmann are those liveries that Rail's of Sheffleld will not be doing.

Then I am in somewhat of a quandry, as checking on Rails website 2 minutes ago, the green/partial blue banding was the longest lived green livery on both locomotives.!! I have a pre-order with Rails for one of each of these, what do I do now? :(

cheers, Peter C.

Guest 47107

Then I am in somewhat of a quandry, as checking on Rails website 2 minutes ago, the green/partial blue banding was the longest lived green livery on both locomotives.!! I have a pre-order with Rails for one of each of these, what do I do now? :(

cheers, Peter C.

I have just spoken to Rails and the situation is : Rails are going to produce the locos in LMS and BR black liveries only and Bachmann will produce the BR green versions as standard releases. If anyone has a green loco on order with Rails, they will still supply the model but at a cheaper price than the limited edition black ones. The Rails website will be updated this week to make the situation clear.

Although Bachmann organised the first Model Trade show in Leicester in 2009 and had a part in organising last years up in Coventry they now have NOTHING to do with orgnisation of this event. They simply started the ball rolling and let it go from there.

I have just spoken to Rails and the situation is : Rails are going to produce the locos in LMS and BR black liveries only and Bachmann will produce the BR green versions as standard releases. If anyone has a green loco on order with Rails, they will still supply the model but at a cheaper price than the limited edition black ones. The Rails website will be updated this week to make the situation clear.

Thanks for the clarification 47, will keep an eye on Rails' website! Cheers, Peter C.

• RMweb Premium

It seems from the new info on the Rails website that the limited edition black&silver Twins will be considerably cheaper than the Hattons/Dapol models. As it doesn't seem likely that Dapol will make a significantly better model than Bachmann, I somewhat fear for their sales.

It seems from the new info on the Rails website that the limited edition black&silver Twins will be considerably cheaper than the Hattons/Dapol models. As it doesn't seem likely that Dapol will make a significantly better model than Bachmann, I somewhat fear for their sales.

I don't follow.

As of 19.22 there were no prices on the RoS site. It just stated TBA.

Hattons are stating £124.

Where do you get the information about 'considerably cheaper' from and how significant is the difference?

Bernard

I don't follow.

As of 19.22 there were no prices on the RoS site. It just stated TBA.

Hattons are stating £124.

Where do you get the information about 'considerably cheaper' from and how significant is the difference?

Bernard

Kernow are showing a RRP of £106.60 and a "our price" of £89.99 for the standard Bachmann releases (i.e. the green ones).

Rails, in their update state that their limited edition (black ones) will be similar to the full RRP of the standard releases and that they will be retailing the standard items according to their (quote) "usual competitive pricing structure". Everyone is therefore free to guess where that will leave Hattons/Dapol.

RP

Its going to be interesting to see what Hattons put on their website when they update it for the new Bachmann releases. With their ususal discount the Bachmann green twins should work out in the mid £80s, and thats a good 40 quid cheaper than their commissioned model. Thats kind of shooting themselves in the foot. I wonder if they will they take the option of just not selling the Bachmann model?

No it isn't.

That states exactly what I put in my last post prices TBA.

Bernard

If you read the ROS text it states that the Bachmann general release, green, version will have a RRP of £106 and, in line with their usual policy, Rails will offer a competitive discount. They will sell their exclusive, black, versions for a price "similar" to the RRP of the green version.

Archived