Dapol Class 21/29

spackz

I E-mailed Dapol with a question 4 weeks ago asking for clarification in regards to their CAD image is that of the pilot scheme Clas 21 variant, however the product description still says 4 Class 29 variants. They havent replied, which seems to be a common theme. Does anyone know what is actually going on with these, as its probably a deciding factor for some people on if to purchase or not.

Thanks

Paul

I E-mailed Dapol with a question 4 weeks ago asking for clarification in regards to their CAD image is that of the pilot scheme Clas 21 variant, however the product description still says 4 Class 29 variants. They havent replied, which seems to be a common theme. Does anyone know what is actually going on with these, as its probably a deciding factor for some people on if to purchase or not.

Thanks

Paul

Although the description says Class 29, the picture from the CAD/CAM shows a Class 21, so I'm assuming the 21 will be first.  My understanding of these classes is that the Class 21 had disc headcodes as per the CAD/CAM drawing and they were then modified to Class 29 with centre headcodes.

Although the description says Class 29, the picture from the CAD/CAM shows a Class 21, so I'm assuming the 21 will be first. My understanding of these classes is that the Class 21 had disc headcodes as per the CAD/CAM drawing and they were then modified to Class 29 with centre headcodes.

Your totally correct, the CAD is of the initial batch of around 20, as the CAD even has the small vents just above the windows, which the latter batches didnt have. I was hoping that Dapol could clarify the identities of the locos to match the CADs so people could at least know what were ordering, as it stands you cant really pre-order them as there is to much of a conflict of information.

Edited by spackz

Just on the off chance had a look at Dapols website, the class 21/29 is shown as final cad and due 3rd quarter 2015. It in the product development area, the cad is of the class 21 variant with disc headcodes. Some physical progress at last.

So that would be a summer 16 delivery?

post-4697-0-89399200-1417542051.jpg

D6123 was the first Class 29 rebuild from a Class 21 and the only one to retain its headcode discs so it could be that the CAD is of a Class 29. Difficult to make out without seeing the sides on the CAD. I attach an image I took just before 6123 was withdrawn.

• Like 12

attachicon.gif6123 Easfield July 70 Slide 1350.jpg

D6123 was the first Class 29 rebuild from a Class 21 and the only one to retain its headcode discs so it could be that the CAD is of a Class 29. Difficult to make out without seeing the sides on the CAD. I attach an image I took just before 6123 was withdrawn.

Grahame,

Unless my eyes decieve me Im pretty sure the CAD includes a vent above each window which means its one of the initial batch, so before D6123 meaning its a Class21. My point is why should it come down to us speculating on what variant they are doing when a simple answer could be given by Dapol to clear this confusion up. Thanks for the photo.

Edited by spackz

snipped

My point is why should it come down to us speculating on what variant they are doing when a simple answer could be given by Dapol to clear this confusion up. Thanks for the photo.

Amen to that! Dapol, we know you read these comments, please talk to us and who knows, you may boost your sales.

Cheers,

David

• 2 weeks later...

They were barred over to prevent the door windows being broken by the tablet in its pouch when working on the West Highland and Callander & Oban - happened sometimes. I believe that's why the 26s lost their cab doors which were plated over.

Paul

Are you sure it wasn't because of the wee keeches that threw items off the bridges in the "quaint little fishing village" on the Clyde.

Mind you they would have had bars on the front and side windows too!!!

Edited by andytrains

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I emailed Dapol in October to enquire about these and received no reply, the date of 3rd quarter 2015 was displayed back then as well, there hasnt been a good update in months. I have emailed them again yesterday as the info on the class 68 as been updated but none given to any of the other projects. Nearly 5 years waiting fo these.

Had a response from Dapol today, the class 21/29 is still in development, they are still saying 3rd Quarter 2015, so must have toolong samples somewhere. However we all know there will be delays. I also got an answer regarding the variant to be released first, be it a bit cryptic, it looks likely it will be the Class 21 variant first and the catalogue numbers will have to be changed.

spackz

The fact the Class 21 will be first produced is good news for East Anglian modellers; when new D6110-9 went to Stratford (30A) and D6120-37 went to Ipswich (32B).

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

I asked the 'Dapol Girls' this afternoon at Ally Pally how many times they had been asked about the class 21/29 over the weekend.

They told me to go away in short jerky movements!

I wonder why!! :locomotive:

Edited by andytrains

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I do hope these are released as I have always had a real soft spot for the NBL Type 2's, well since my brother had a Hornby model when I was very small at any rate. There is something very endearing about the hang dog face I think. They did an excellent job of capturing the shape on the 22 and it had some really lovely details, let down a bit by the head code arrangement which was basically just two black squares and a very dull paint finish. If they give the paint a bit more lustre and sort the head codes it'd be a fantastic model, as it is it is still very good I think.

• 2 months later...

Well its been nearly 6 months since i enquired, the release date is 4th quarter 2015. Still no tooling samples to be seen has anyone been updated on the progress of these? They've been described as being in final cad for 18months now.