Dapol Class 21/29

spackz

Well, come on guys; it IS a bit irrelevant to the primary topic.

Plenty of places in the special interest section where this sort of idle speculation can happily sit.

I check this thread for any developments in the NBL project but it seems to be hidden under piles of unrelated motive power combo speculation.

I find it a wee bit frustrating in truth when I’m hoping to read something relevant to the topic guys.

D4.

From what I recall reading some years back the reason the Pilot Scheme loco went to the London area was to help in getting dieselisation underway more rapidly in London, particularly on the GN suburban service.Hence the classes were introduced in England and possibly even as an accident of policy or pressure from particular Regions.  Ultimate allocation of, particularly the NBL locos, seems to confirm that they were very likely intended all along for Scotland once the main order proceeded in that direction.

And as you've said the Class 29 version was very much a Scottish loco (and quite a nice one on which to ride and which seemed reasonably reliable according to Enginemen on the West Highland extension).

The prime reason why many early diesels went to London was issues with smoke control of steam locos, and the implications of the Clean Air Act

Edited by Mel_H

• RMweb Gold

The prime reason why many early diesels went to London was issues with smoke control of steam locos, and the implications of the Clean Air Act

Was it?  If that were the case surely it would have applied to all parts of the country (the 1956 Act applied nationally) and indeed if nothing else to all parts of London?  In fact of course Nine Elms depot continued with steam until 1967 and main line steam operated out of various London termini until well into the early1960s and in several cases beyond the 7 year exemption in the 1956 Act which by inference from the Act could probably be taken to apply to railway engines as the Act itself applied the domestic property provisions to railway engines.  Provided the railway took appropriate measures to 'control' smoke emissions - which basically meant proper management of smoke emission from engines - then it had nothing to fear from the Act.

The alternative has to be to question to what extent other factors influenced early dieselisation of various London suburban services and I suspect that money and labour were probably more persuasive factors that the Clean Air Act - which in any case preceded the introduction of the NBL DE Type 2 by 3 years and that of the Brush Type 2 by 2 years.  And at a time when some London depots were continuing to suffer severe recruitment problems for labouring jobs and were in a number of cases increasingly relying on immigrant labour to fill such vacancies (although a de facto colour bar was applied on the recruitment of footplate staff).

• Like 1

Was it?  If that were the case surely it would have applied to all parts of the country (the 1956 Act applied nationally) and indeed if nothing else to all parts of London?  In fact of course Nine Elms depot continued with steam until 1967 and main line steam operated out of various London termini until well into the early1960s and in several cases beyond the 7 year exemption in the 1956 Act which by inference from the Act could probably be taken to apply to railway engines as the Act itself applied the domestic property provisions to railway engines.  Provided the railway took appropriate measures to 'control' smoke emissions - which basically meant proper management of smoke emission from engines - then it had nothing to fear from the Act.

The alternative has to be to question to what extent other factors influenced early dieselisation of various London suburban services and I suspect that money and labour were probably more persuasive factors that the Clean Air Act - which in any case preceded the introduction of the NBL DE Type 2 by 3 years and that of the Brush Type 2 by 2 years.  And at a time when some London depots were continuing to suffer severe recruitment problems for labouring jobs and were in a number of cases increasingly relying on immigrant labour to fill such vacancies (although a de facto colour bar was applied on the recruitment of footplate staff).

Yes, it was. Really!  There were specific issues in north an east London which were the worst - Top Shed being among them - . It's been well documented by those who were there, such as Peter Townend and Dick Hardy. I suppose the situation was not unlike today's EU Air Quality measures where, again, it's London that breaches the limits more than anyway. Anyway, we're well OT now :offtopic:

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I spoke with a friend yesterday about class 29s. He looked aghast when I suggested with a little work the Hornby composite model scrubs up OK.

Indeed they can Clive, if anyone hasn’t seen Kylestrome’s beautiful model, feast your eyes on this.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107181-Hornby-class-29-–-ex-works/?p=2688890

Again with time and effort, and half decent start point (primary body shape) a lot is possible.

Neil

• 3 weeks later...

From Richard @ Dapol Digest today.

I mentioned last month that these models were in the toolroom, and now I am pleased to report that the factory has advised me that first shots are due around the middle of February, so we should have the first EP (engineering pilot) to view at Ally Pally at the end of March. Kind Regards, Richard.

Getting closer.

Fantastic news! I have been waiting for these to come out for many years, and am salivating at the thought...was quietly hoping they would have made a surprise appearance at the Scottish Model Rail Exhibition just held, but seems not. My model of 61B will be complete with a couple of class 21's hanging about on road 12 under repair!

Someone had better feed back that there is a major deviation from prototype in the bufferbeam valance and entire lower body side at the bufferbeam height. There should be a well defined transition to a bevelled turn under. Dare I say it, the old Hornby tooling - although not perfect in this respect - is better. I realise it is difficult to tool, but that's the challenge.

Bogies and upperworks look good, as they should be. Have to trot along to Allypally for a gander. I might even wave my Hornbach adaption at them to show what a toy maker achieved thirty  (or is it more?) years ago, since I bottled out of improving the bottom of the body.

• Like 2

Doesn't seem to be any more images available on the website.  Nor discussion in the Dapol Digest", yet.  Perhaps that's a a good place to make comments on the posted image/others that are made available, so that Dapol read them?