Dapol Class 21/29

spackz

Guest Max Stafford

Ugly?

How dare you, how very dare you...! ;)

I'm avoiding the Hornby Christmas Eve scrum this year - I'm going to froth about this instead! :lol:

Dave.

Ugly?

How dare you, how very dare you...! ;)

I'm avoiding the Hornby Christmas Eve scrum this year - I'm going to froth about this instead! :lol:

Dave.

I liked them with the wipers at the top, as they always reminded me of a BELL UH1 'Iraquiois';) The headcode boxes ruined the front ends aswell, of course.:lol:

Guest Max Stafford

I liked them with the wipers at the top, as they always reminded me of a BELL UH1 'Iraquiois';) The headcode boxes ruined the front ends aswell, of course.:lol:

Now there's a thought. Perhaps when the model arrives I'll install a sound chip with a "thudda-thudda-thudda" noise and the tinny strains of Wagner's 'Ride of the Valkyries"... ;)

Dave.

Now there's a thought. Perhaps when the model arrives I'll install a sound chip with a "thudda-thudda-thudda" noise and the tinny strains of Wagner's 'Ride of the Valkyries"... ;)

Dave.

The NBL built MAN engines in class 21 and 22 probably went 'thudda-thudda-thudda' most of the time anyway, possibly followed by a lot of swearing and cursing from the depot staff.;)

• 5 weeks later...

Class 21 / 29

Theclass 21/29 has already been announced and now Dapol announce the liveries and running numbers for the first batch (although subject to change)

Class 21

• D1001a D6112 BR Green no yellow warning panel
  • D1001b D6134 BR Green no yellow warning panel
  • D1001c D6150 BR Green no yellow warning panel

Class 29

• D1002a D6130 BR Green full yellow warning panel
  • D1002b D6114 BR Green small yellow warning panel
  • D1002c D6100 BR Blue full yellow warning panel

Specification is as per the class 22.

Now that DapolDave has given us the proposed running numbers of the initial batch of CL21 & 29’s, what do others think? My area of interest is the 21, so I’ll stick to that. It’s stated that D6112, D6134 & D6150 will be the first three all plain green versions to be produced. These were originally, I believe, Stratford, Ipswich and Aberdeen-based respectively. The two ER locos would have been produced in a batch featuring drop-side cab windows, whereas D6150 would have had sliding windows in order to accommodate tablet exchange equipment for Scottish operation. So the first question I have is; will this detail difference be reflected in the above models? Moving on, none of the above are from the first ten pilot scheme locos but the second batch. These featured, from new, a single large main radiator grille with vertical slats and a strengthening bar at waist level - as opposed to the first ten (D6100-9), which had two-part main radiator grilles (modified later) - according to my sources. I’m also informed that D6100-22 were all built with two ventilator bars above the cab windows, that looked like eyebrows. Whether we can expect to see finer detail variation such as this I don’t know but as Dave has asked for input, there’s some from me! Oh yes, and the windscreen wipers should be located above the cab windows - not below.............

Whilst we'er on about yellow ends......

Does anybody know why Hornby did the last production run of the BR blue liveried 21/29 hybrid thing with a semi full yellow end? I've never found photographic evidence of an all yellow nose with a blue cab.

Given the manifold inaccuracies inherent in the Hornby model, using a fictional livery appears entirely appropriate...

D605Eagle

Whilst we'er on about yellow ends......

Does anybody know why Hornby did the last production run of the BR blue liveried 21/29 hybrid thing with a semi full yellow end? I've never found photographic evidence of an all yellow nose with a blue cab.

Ian Allan abc combined volume for 1972, p39 top has a picture of one of the last 29s, 6119, and although the photo is black and white, the area just above the cab windows definitely seems much lighter than the rail blue sides or the roof above. The loco has double arrows and no D prefix. My detailed Hornby model was finished accordingly....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Max Stafford

I think this is more likely Buchanan St. That looks like the bridge carrying Dobbie's Loan over the approaches. The red and cream livery on the bus suggest Western SMTs livery and the bus could be heading out from Killermont St bus station towards Dumbarton or the like if so.

Buchanan Street was the start point for Glasgow to Stirling and Oban services until C&O services closed in '65 and Buchanan St itself closed in November '66.

Nice photo though, it would appear to be from the period in 1961 when pairs of NBLs worked the Oban services.

Dave.

Guest Max Stafford

That's pretty much it but in any case, even when steam worked these services were regularly double headed to keep time on the steep climb from Strathyre up through Glen Ogle.

Dave.

That's pretty much it but in any case, even when steam worked these services were regularly double headed to keep time on the steep climb from Strathyre up through Glen Ogle.

Dave.

With a load of four coaches it must have over strained the poor things.

Where else could you run a prototypical double headed four coach train?

Next question. Did the original and rebuilt versions ever double head together?

I know the time scale is fairly tight for it to have occured but was there any technical reason why they couldn't operate together?

Bernard

Next question. Did the original and rebuilt versions ever double head together?

I know the time scale is fairly tight for it to have occured but was there any technical reason why they couldn't operate together?

Bernard

Interesting question Bernard, and I've learnt somethingsmile.gif My 1968 combine shows the coupling codes for the last 20 as Blue Star (I knew that, cos there's at least one pic of a Kittybrewster one multi'd with a 20). More interestingly, it shows the first 38 as red circle (including the rebuilds), with the exception of 6104/22/35 (unrebuilt) which are also Blue Star. So it looks like some at least were made Blue Star compatible, as with the Claytons

By the power of RailScot, we are able to bring you this image, but I warn you, it is NOT for the fainthearted:

http://www.railbrit....e2.php?id=32588

Very tasty! In addition to the FYE, she's had a couple of those roof panels, cleaned? Translucent fiberglass? Maybe they just started cleaning at the brow for the FYE and got carried away...

Very tasty! In addition to the FYE, she's had a couple of those roof panels, cleaned? Translucent fiberglass? Maybe they just started cleaning at the brow for the FYE and got carried away...

If you presented a model looking like she does, the nay-sayers would have a field day. I shall reserve judgement on the Heljan BFYE Co-Bo and its alleged 'toylike' qualities when machines like this roamed the rails in the early days of the full yellow end.

Shame these never worked the Waverley, I find them disturbingly compelling. :huh: