Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

Photo

Annitsford, BR blue period layout.

• Please log in to reply
301 replies to this topic

#51 dickiegrid100

dickiegrid100

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationAnglia

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:30

Lovely stock, lovely layout, cracking videos. Can't wait for the next instalment.

Dickie

Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

#52 blueeighties

blueeighties

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,864 posts
  • LocationNorth East England

Posted 06 May 2012 - 19:50

I was very happy with the painting and colouring of my piece of test track last night. Tonight I have tried painting the ballast. Diasaster. All the nice colouring seems to have been lost, it dosent look right. I cant work out how I am going to keep the track (sleepers and rails), colouring when I have to paint the ballast AFTER the track has been painted? Can anyone offer any advice?

Sequence of painting so far.

Spray sleepers with sleeper grime colour.

Paint rails with rail colour.

Brilliant and happy with it up to this point.

Ballast track,

Spray ballast with track colour.

Not happy as it now all looks the same.

The only way I can think of keeping the excellent track colour is to leave the ballast pristine?
Any suggestions welcome.

Regards,

Lee.

Attached Thumbnails

• crap-1.jpg
  • crap-2.jpg

#53 Removed a/c_jim s-w

Removed a/c_jim s-w

• Guests

Posted 06 May 2012 - 20:55

Hi Lee

the trick is to use thin paint, like an ink and fine washes of colour but through an airbrush. some things to bear in mind is

Spray in the direction that the trains travel. Dirt on real track is blown along by the trains and looks different from each direction.

The dirt inside the rails is usually darker than that outside. Thus from the side of the track the furthest rail usually looks darker.

Use a thicker mix of gunmetal and black (same as for weathering a diesel loco roof) for the areas of the track that are greased. Around pointwork and fishplates. Use a simple card mask to stop overspray.

HTH

Jim

#54 blueeighties

blueeighties

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 21:03

Thank you very much for that Jim. Some useful tips and advice coming through here. A lot more experimentation required I think.

Lee.

#55 blueeighties

blueeighties

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:29

Bank Holiday Monday. The Mrs is doing a trade show at work, so I had the job of watching little Miss. Until that is, Grandma offered to take her last night for a sleepover, and then keep her for the best part of today. I take back everything I previously said Grandma :-pmsl
So. Do I gloss doors? Hmm. I don't think so :-whistle We grafted all day in the garden yesterday, so time for a bit of relaxation. Off to the loft it is then!
I have decided to go ahead and start painting the track until I find a solution with the ballast. Started off with some sidings and a couple of points. Everything has gone great, and happy with the way it looks. The work in the pics took about 2 and a half hours. Theres a lot of overspray, so it needs touching up in places. Once the ballast is down, weathering and blending will be done, oily stains, new ballast etc. Its quite taxing doing this, but its nice to see a (little) bit of colour at last.
Basic sleeper grime colour going on.
Posted Image
Ditto.
Posted Image
Makes quite a difference straight away.
Posted Image
Happy with this, looks great.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Nicely weathered, not by myself I'm afraid.
Posted Image
Posted Image
1st point painted.Looks ok?
Posted Image

Yard is filling up!
Posted Image

Thats it for now. Only downside to this morning was the fact that I cleverly sprayed airbrush cleaner in my eye :-sick Not recommended.
Cheers,
Lee.
  • Like x 1

#56 mudmagnet

mudmagnet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,705 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 07 May 2012 - 20:52

Following with interest Lee. I would like to have this sort of space for a decent track run.
Well worth the effort on the track though as this looking good.

#57 millerhillboy

millerhillboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • LocationCentral Scotland

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:57

track colour is looking superb, as you say once ballasted I reckon it'll be spot on. I like to see a nicely weathered bit of track, sometimes neglected in favour of rolling stock

nice shove duff as well...

#58 blueeighties

blueeighties

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:04

Thanks for that. I love the Heljan duffs, but they are a ###### to maintain. Took me an hour and a half last night to get 2 of them serviced and running properly again. I may have to invest in new wheelsets from Howes I think.

Lee.

#59 blueeighties

blueeighties

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:00

Thanks for that. I love the Heljan duffs, but they are a ###### to maintain. Took me an hour and a half last night to get 2 of them serviced and running properly again. I may have to invest in new wheelsets from Howes I think.

Lee.

#60 d winpenny

d winpenny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,217 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 08 May 2012 - 18:04

fiddle yard is looking nice and full :)

david

#61 Earl Bathurst

Earl Bathurst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 772 posts
  • LocationSwansea

Posted 08 May 2012 - 18:29

Hi Lee
Layout is looking really good.
What size is the board for your fiddle yard?
Scott

#62 Grimleygrid

Grimleygrid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,107 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 19:30

Some lovely videos there Lee, I am especially loving 501 and 502 on the Tubeliner!

I am following your track weathering with interest and find it very useful. Keep up the good work.

#63 blueeighties

blueeighties

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 21:03

Hi Scott. The fiddle yard area is 19.5' by (widest point), 2'.

Well, track painting is now well underway. The amount of time the airbrush is going to save is fantastic. Hand painted, I reckon tonights hour session would have taken 4 or 5 hours.
It's also nice to have something different to do other than point motors and wiring.
Liking the way this is coming along.
Track in the foreground finished, rest of it just the rail sides sprayed so far.
Posted Image
A few Scottish beasties.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Regards,
Lee.
  • Like x 3

#64 Bloodnok

Bloodnok

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationKent

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:47

Very nice layout you have here :)

A question or two about your baseboard construction if I may: How far apart are the risers that support the trackbed, and what thickness of ply are you using for the trackbed?

I'm planning a similar construction and I'm not sure how thorough I need to be to support an elevated trackbed, including a wider area with a station on it...

#65 blueeighties

blueeighties

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:16

Hi mate. The plywood is all 9mm birch. Wonderful stuff. In hindsight, I could have used 6mm, but only to save a bit of weight. My braces are roughly 12" apart, the 'sandwitch' method of construction means that because of the thickness of these beams, (2 pieces of 9mm ply and a piece of 2x1"), the track purports end up spaced about 10" apart, which seems to be more than adequate. Hope that helps! :)

Lee.

#66 Earl Bathurst

Earl Bathurst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 772 posts
  • LocationSwansea

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:23

Hi Lee
Thanks. On the layout i have planned the fiddle yard is 18 inches deep by 12ft long and seeing how many tracks you got in your space i should be able to get a few on mine :)
But the track work looks fantastic with you, what mix of paint did you use to get that effect?
Scott

#67 blueeighties

blueeighties

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:34

Hi Scott, thanks for that. The paints are just straight out of the tin, Phoenix Precision, 'rusty rails' for the rail sides, and 'sleeper grime', funnily enough, for the sleepers :)
These 2 basic colours look great, but will be further enhanced with additional colours once its all ballasted. The one overriding thing for me is just how quick and easy an airbrush makes this process be. It has been a bit of a struggle learning how to use it, but so worth it.

Regards,

Lee.

#68 blueeighties

blueeighties

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 22:03

Evening guys. 'Airbrush' seems to have been the word this week. Track painting is continuing apace, quite a bit of it is done now. I have run out of a particular colour tonight, so will have to wait until next week now before I can get some more.
I have taken my 1st steps towards doing a bit of loco weathering too, I had a go at some exhaust deposits on the roofs of some old bodies. Its a start I guess!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Cheers,
Lee.

#69 blueeighties

blueeighties

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 20:59

Another 1st step tonight, I have started having a go at weathering a duff. I have always been a bit scared to start anything to be honest, for fear of ruining the lovely factory paintwork.
I have one of the original release Bachmann duffs, plain banger blue, so I thought I would use it as a guinea pig. So far, all I have done is to remove the coupling from one end, add the buffer beam detail,paint the buffer shanks silver, and spray the chassis with the basecoat colour of Phoenix 'frame dirt'. I am really getting on well with this brand of paint, the colours are excellent, and they offer excellent covering power.
I also took the opportunity when I stripped the chassis down to get rid of some of the excess grease filling the gear towers, check the pickups, and clean the wheels. Waste of time that last bit after spraying :scratchhead:
I have a whole host of colours and ideas to try with the weathering on this loco, washes, powders etc, I don't expect it to be up to much, but it should prove a valuable learning curve.
P.S...I know the body is not located properly, the paint was still drying when I took the pics!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
I know its just one solid colour so far, but I feel I am now on the way to actually doing something instead of just looking at the paint tins.
Cheers,
Lee.

Edited by blueeighties, 13 May 2012 - 21:03 .

• Like x 3

#70 blueeighties

blueeighties

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 21:21

Thought I would have another stab at weathering the duff after the little one was tucked up in bed tonight. Fair bit more successful than last night, its starting to look like the common, workaday boring class 47 I used to remember.
I mixed up the roof colour using a couple of paints as I couldn't find the right colour straight out of the tin. I should have really renumbered this too, but to be honest, I wasn't expecting it to go so well.I may still yet, as the weathering really needs to be sealed in with a coat of matt varnish when its all finished. Maybes I could even do a namer? This is still a testing techniques loco, everything I have learned will be applied to the next one.
The masking on the windows is there to create the clean patches that the windscreen wipers make,I couldn't be bothered to remove it for the photographs. I have yet to spray some grime on the cab fronts.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Quite like the fuel stains on the tanks
Posted Image
Posted Image
This is the effect I was trying to achieve with the roof.
Posted Image
Cheers,
Lee.
  • Like x 4

#71 ess1uk

ess1uk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,676 posts
  • LocationPeterborough

Posted 16 May 2012 - 17:02

nice looking Duff you have there.

#72 blueeighties

blueeighties

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 20:11

Here we go guys.The finished article, my 1st weathered loco. Other than adding a bit of silver to the cab footsteps, to simulate the metal coming through the dust, I decided to leave as is, didn't want to go over the top!
Ready for service
Posted Image
In service!
Posted Image
Regards,
Lee.
  • Like x 2

#73 mason

mason

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,946 posts
  • LocationPeterborough, cambs

Posted 17 May 2012 - 20:57

I think the 47 looks very good lee, I would be tempted to put the odd light streak down the sides, two max.
And a little light dusting on the bottom of the yellow fronts, but I'm no expert and if your happy with it then that's what matters.
Really enjoying ready about this layout, think its because I secretly want one this size ha ha
Great job lee

#74 blueeighties

blueeighties

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 21:06

Thanks Neil. I do know what you mean, I feel that the bodysides and front panels could do with a bit of something, but I am so pleased with the overall effect I didn't want to spoil it! Once I become a bit more proficient with the old airbrush, I will no doubt re visit this one for a little bit of further work.

Regards,

Lee.

Thanks Neil. I do know what you mean, I feel that the bodysides and front panels could do with a bit of something, but I am so pleased with the overall effect I didn't want to spoil it! Once I become a bit more proficient with the old airbrush, I will no doubt re visit this one for a little bit of further work.

Regards,

Lee.

#75 mason

mason

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,946 posts
  • LocationPeterborough, cambs

Posted 17 May 2012 - 21:19

No problem lee, iv revisited my locos a few times to be honest, iv learnt to use pictures of a loco too that helps a lot.
You should be pleased though lee it's a very good start and looks great