The white stuff

TommyDodd

What happens on your garden railway when it snows?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. What happens on your garden railway when it snows?

• I don't run. WInter time is workbench time
    • I like to run in the snow, so I clear the track using brush, shovel and other non-scale methods.
    • I get out my working snowplough, couple up and CHAAAAARGE!!!

You know, a couple of pages on snow clearance would be nice in a future Garden Rail. Photos and words to phil.parker@warnersgroup.co.uk (Hint!)

Oh, and fitting sound in Thomas would be interesting as well.

It's only silly soft stuff said Thomas  :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Dim memories of a 1940/50s  Derbyshire childhood in those Impressive videos.

Idiot qestion:

Are these models battery powered, radio controlled? Otherwise wouldn't they short.

dh

Mine work on water vapour.  H2O heated by gas, radio controlled, 2.4Ghz.  Hot coffee helps the operator though!

Nice to see some I.O.M stock behind that, Neil !  Is it a Roundhouse "Katie" ?  I have some of the matching "Pairs" coaches and an Accucraft "Viking", but, as yet, nowhere to run them !

I also recently took delivery of one of the new Mamod battery diesels "Bolton" - placed my order as soon as they were announced, and it was delivered within a couple of weeks. Have to say, I am very impressed with it so far - Build style/quality is typical Mamod - simple but effective - easy to dismantle for modification, etc.  It was supplied as manual control, but, I will eventually be converting it to RC and adding some detail.

Looking forward to the release of their new Stirling loco early next year, too.

Hopefully, the new year will bring better luck with house purchases and will see me with property which will lend itself to the construction of a garden railway !

It's a nice pic, Jack looks to fit well with the I.O.M stock.

I had a garden railway when I lived in the UK with a variety of stock and locos, both live steam and battery, but sold the lot before we moved to the island as I knew we would be in properties without gardens for several years. Regret it now, of course, especially as one of the steamers was a "one off" , custom built by a friend who is sadly no longer with us. Still, it all went to people who I know would have been using it, whereas, if I had kept it all, it would have languished in storage for over ten years !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dim memories of a 1940/50s  Derbyshire childhood in those Impressive videos.

Idiot qestion:

Are these models battery powered, radio controlled? Otherwise wouldn't they short.

dh

Not had a snow run since 2010 I think :( But no, they don't short, I run with up to 24v in the rails, there's enough resistance in the white stuff for it not to be an issue.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There is absolutely no problem with snow causing a short.

Garden railway stuff seems to be pretty resilient. I once accidentally connected a supplementary track feed wire to the wrong terminal creating would should have been a short circuit. The connections to the rail for this wire were about 80 feet from the main connection. The transformer made a bit of a strange noise and the wires to the track got a bit warm but the 10amp fuse didn’t blow. I guess the brass track was acting a bit like the bar of an electric fire. I wonder if I could melt the snow using this method?

• 3 years later...