dapol booth rodley crane

ive recently purchased one of the and before i set about building it i was looking at some pictures i found on google and i wondered if i was possible to use ther base off a Hornby 75 tonner as the base of the Dapol crane because the wheel base looks alot smaller than in real life and also how long did the last in service till ??

many thanks david

• RMweb Premium

The Booth Ridley cranes used by BR had a rigid wheelbase. I have used a cut down Hornby LNER corridor tender chassis under this model to replace the bogies or you can scratch build. There was an article on this in 'Model Rail' some years ago.

• RMweb Gold

Despite having done a search, I can't find any photos of this type of crane running on bogies as per the kit. Is it fictional or, more probably, an industrial or export version?

(Apologies for the hijack).

Have you read my second link?

ive recently purchased one of the and before i set about building it i was looking at some pictures i found on google and i wondered if i was possible to use ther base off a Hornby 75 tonner as the base of the Dapol crane because the wheel base looks alot smaller than in real life and also how long did the last in service till ??

many thanks david

These definately had a rigid chassis - nothing like the bogies the kit is are supplied with - the trick is to use a spare 3-axle loco tender chassis (available pretty much anywhere). There was an article in May 2007 Model-Rail detailing the conversion - I have it scannned in as a PDF file - please PM me and I'll send it you as posting it on here probably infringes copyright.

Regards,

Southernman46

• RMweb Gold

These definately had a rigid chassis - nothing like the bogies the kit is are supplied with - the trick is to use a spare 3-axle loco tender chassis (available pretty much anywhere). There was an article in May 2007 Model-Rail detailing the conversion - I have it scannned in as a PDF file - please PM me and I'll send it you as posting it on here probably infringes copyright.

Regards,

Southernman46

The photos on my first link on my first post above show the crane on 4 axles

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I think that for BR service, the crane needs to be converted to a rigid 8 wheel chassis. This might well make motorising the crane to be self propelled easy, using a Black Beetle or similar for the centre wheels.

Here's a useful page of photos

http://gallery6801.f...net/c80686.html

Most of the runner wagons look to be modified bogie bolsters.

Mark

I am sure I have seen them painted yellow with Red BR double arrows, as for the match truck, I have a photo of one coupled to a lowmac.

Cheers Michael. I know they were introduced in 1956 to the western region and looking for a livery of that era. Would the yellow livery fit that era or be more recent?

Thanks

From a thread that I started some time ago it transpires that early BR was black, sometimes with lining around the engineers number.They went for red in the very early sixties and yellow followed that probably post TOPS.

This is not true for the permanent way crane in question, though it does apply to some breakdown cranes.

Reference to Paul Bartlett's photo site will show that the Booth cranes were originally grey with minimal / no lettering other than cast plates.

See http://www.cctrans.freeserve.co.uk/products.htm

Sheet BL92 - BR(WR) 10T & 15T Booth diesel hydraulic permanent way cranes. Suitable for models adapted from the Airfix / Dapol kit. Transfers for 2 cranes. ONLY AVAILABLE FOR 4mm. SCALE. 4mm. scale price is £6.00.

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone recommend a match truck for the Dapol diesel crane kit? Also what colour were these painted during BR days? 15 were produced for BR, though there is no recommended paints within the instructions. Thanks!

Am I writing in invisible ink again? See photos on first link in post #3

• RMweb Premium

Having looked through the references - did I miss one that settles once and for all the question of whether an industrial bogie version (and I remain sceptical, given the beams where the springs should be, mid bogie) ever existed?

IIRC Airfix based their model on the prototype, only one possibly two existed as modelled.

• 4 months later...
(and I remain sceptical, given the beams where the springs should be, mid bogie)

Actually that's the feature that makes it look authentic, they did not just use a standard bogie but one designed for cranes, rail cranes often have the ability to cut out any springs to keep it stable when moving with a load on the hook.

I would also be interested to know if there was a prototype of this design, its possible Booth Rodley provided Airfix with a drawing that never got produced.

Regards

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Actually that's the feature that makes it look authentic, they did not just use a standard bogie but one designed for cranes, rail cranes often have the ability to cut out any springs to keep it stable when moving with a load on the hook.

I would also be interested to know if there was a prototype of this design, its possible Booth Rodley provided Airfix with a drawing that never got produced.

Regards

Keith

The model is actually of the prototype, hence the Booth Rodley markings. Most of those produced had a rigid 8 wheel frame.

• RMweb Premium

IIRC there was a picture in the 'Airfix Magazine' at the time the kit was introduced. The rigid wheelbase version was far more usual, the bogie version was available but very few were built if any after the prototype. The prototype was sold off to industry and was probably eventually scrapped.

Archived