Special Edition Great Central Robinson 2-8-0 for National Railway Museum - now in stock

dcroz

• RMweb Gold

No doubt appearing soon on an eBay site near you.....

There is a possibility that some might appear elsewhere (at the normal retail price) as I understand that there is a chance that some NRM stock is 'squirrelled away' for subsequent retail purposes through a closely associated organisation (which was surprised by how many of the original version of 'City of Truro' it sold at Warley so I learnt yesterday). The gentleman concerned should be setting out on his quest to look for any unsold ones today. (And will also at some time be feeding back 'ideas' for a further 'limited edition')

There is a possibility that some might appear elsewhere (at the normal retail price) as I understand that there is a chance that some NRM stock is 'squirrelled away' for subsequent retail purposes through a closely associated organisation (which was surprised by how many of the original version of 'City of Truro' it sold at Warley so I learnt yesterday). The gentleman concerned should be setting out on his quest to look for any unsold ones today. (And will also at some time be feeding back 'ideas' for a further 'limited edition')

Maybe Warley was a one off as there seems to be no shortage of Truro's at the NRM. They produced to many & some felt they were too expensive after the Deltics where we had a special edition of a special edition of a special edition.They seemed to go on forever.

A lot of Warley visitors might not be that aware of the NRM so an NRM special would sell well. Also some people make impulse buys at exhibitions where they can view the actual model & where they wouldn't buy over the internet at the NRM ?

I finally got around to running mine in. I only have access to a continuous run at my parents' house and finally got around to taking it there. Ran lovely forwards, but then squeaked rhythmically going around in reverse. No idea what was squeaking, but a light oil of all the connecting rods fixed it. Very smooth.

The only issue I have noticed is that the tender drawbar isn't fastened to the tender, and seems free to slide off the pin causing the load of the tender and train to be taken by the connecting wires instead. I shall investigate reseating said wires so that they don't push the drawbar down.

Not sure if I was suprised or not but, I was expecting a Scottish loco with the reduced loading gauge modifications.

When I measured it against the standard 8k there was no difference.

Roy

post-1052-003531100 1292575401_thumb.jpg

Not sure if I was suprised or not but, I was expecting a Scottish loco with the reduced loading gauge modifications.

When I measured it against the standard 8k there was no difference.

Roy

Any particular reason you would think it would be a Scottish one? As I understand it the 8K was designed for GCR's docks at Immingham, and the GCR itself does not appear to have made much in roads into scotland...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/57/GCRmap1903.JPG

Any particular reason you would think it would be a Scottish one? As I understand it the 8K was designed for GCR's docks at Immingham, and the GCR itself does not appear to have made much in roads into scotland...

There were Robinsons that made it to somewhere in Scotland after being modded for the more restricted loading gauge, but they were ex ROD ones bought after the war IIRC rather than GCR ones.

There were Robinsons that made it to somewhere in Scotland after being modded for the more restricted loading gauge, but they were ex ROD ones bought after the war IIRC rather than GCR ones.

Page 208 of Loco Profile 21 has a photo of 1185 with its GCR cabside number plate plus L.& N.E.R. 1185 on the tender. Caption - Engine shown with chimney and dome casing cut down in 1924 to suit NBR loading gauge. This was the first of the 04/2 class and the only ex GCR engine so treated . . . others were ex-ROD.

The first post of this thread gave me a good idea when it mentioned the bit that it worked from Fife to Aberdeen on coal trains.

Roy

http://upload.wikime.../GCRmap1903.JPG

The prototype of 1185 was a standard GCR constructed 8K. It will have had normal height fittings while carrying GCR livery. The fully lined livery is pre-WWI; austerity liveries didn't start with WWII, in the earlier conflict goods engines on repainting lost their lining and typically finished up plain black or grey. There was little in the way of a general return to former glory post war, before the Grouping of 1923. Express engines went back to elaborate coloured schemes, but heavy freight engines had pretty much arrived at the plain black they were going to carry until the end of steam.

The pre-group companies ceased to exist in 1923, both the GCR and NBR being incorporated in the LNER group. The LNER had some of what they classified O4 'cut down' mainly to reduce height to enable them to be transferred onto former NBR routes which had a more restricted loading gauge than the GCR; one of which happened to be ex-GCR 1185. Since the work was done by the LNER, it would be almost certain that the repaint (whole or partial) into the prevailing LNER standard livery (at least ownership and number) would also have occurred when the work was done.

• RMweb Gold

It is a sobering thought, to me, that one can now buy a whole GCR engine for less than the cost of a professional paint job.

Don't worry Coach - one of your professional paint jobs went in auction last week for a goodly sum (ignore the estimate - it actually sold for £1300, so somebody still values professional paintwork)

http://www.specialauctionservices.com/zoom.php?id=52285&cat_id=136&h_id=8

Would it not have been under NBR ownership then? I understand why you would make that assumption from the spiel though. They could've made it a little clearer....

Like you Charlie, I was just going by the text. Other than that it looks nice.

Regards

Roy

one of your professional paint jobs went in auction last week for a goodly sum (ignore the estimate - it actually sold for £1300, so somebody still values professional paintwork)

That was a very 'special edition' paint job as David insisted on 'Athol' having gold lining (not distressed yellow) with fine red lines on either side of the gold. I used picture framing fast-drying gold, even so, it was not the easiest paint to work with.

• 1 month later...

If you missed this before Christmas, a second delivery has occurred and some of these locos are now available at the NRM shops at York & Shildon. Still the same limited edition number - just seems that not all of the batch were delivered in December. I don't know if there are more available via the web, I would imagine so.

Archived