Davep's Irish N Scale Workbench

davep101

Hiya all,

Well ive finally managed to get back to a long stored project, my Irish n scale project, Ive now been laid up about 2 week after my hernia op, and been getting very bored, my girlfriend suggested i go back to the N scale stuff, as i can happily sit downstairs in the warm and do bits and bobs on these, so here i am, the below pics show a couple of days work on each model, there was some work done on the body shells when I first got them., I will in future be getting more body shells, so i can go into more detail in this area when I aquire some. All the loco body shells have been aquired from Shapeways, they are good bases to start projects from, but be warned they do need a lot of sanding,scraping and scapel work to make them decent.

below are some pictures where I am so far.

My pair of 121s, both at various stages.

post-7260-003030700 1291676090_thumb.jpg

The same 121, the other way round.

post-7260-068253900 1291676460_thumb.jpg

My 141, again after a coat of vw orange, just at the adding detail stage.

post-7260-056421700 1291676503_thumb.jpg

201 class whis some detail added, this model is desinged to sit on a Dapol 66 chassis, the fuel tank are has yet to be hacked around to make it look more prototypical.

post-7260-049609000 1291676546_thumb.jpg

And finally this is a real cobble together of parts, ive used and etched overly for a mk2 bsk, and then took the snips to it, this one is a long way off, but its coming along slowly!

post-7260-077509700 1291676589_thumb.jpg

Hi Dave,

Glad to see some modelling is helping the recovery!

It's amazing how well these models scrub up with some work with sandpaper and the addition of some wiry bits. I'll forward a link on this thread to Jack, I'm sure he'll be interested to other people's work with his creations. Top work, and it's nice to see a growing interest in Irish N!

cheers

jo

I was just thinking about modelling Irish N gauge today, impressive work! Im glad its helping you after your op. Out of interest are you modelling it as 1:148 or 1:160?

Is there a layout thread in the offing... Id love to see your work in its natural setting ;) !

m0rris

I'm impressed with all the pipes, handrails and grab irons you've added; Once they're painted I'm sure they'll look smashing.

Here is one of the models finished, I applied decals from Studio Scale Models

141az.jpg

The model was built as a test by my friend Martin to see if making the model RTR was viable, unfortunately it wasn't. So I retained ownership of the model, added the decals and weathered it.

I look forward to more updates :) I haven't finished a 121 or 201 so I will be interested to see how they come out.

Kindest Regards,

Jack

hiya jo, m0rris,

thanks very much for your comments, the layout is very much a long way off yet, although i have started thinking about it now, which is more than i had in the past!, Jo i was on the irishrailwaymodelling forum, but again I let that slide as my interest in these models wained a little, and now ive seen that site has finished..then started again, so I may put some pics on there, but for now i'll concentrate putting my offerings on here as looking around there dont seem to be to many people modelling irish in N!.

M0rris, scales as being a complete and utter novis to N gauge, i may be looking for some direction on what scales these should be, i had assumed that it would be 1:148, but as you mentioned 1:160 what is the difference (and dont say :012:P).

Any help and comments gratefully received.

Regards davep

No worries, Im a bit of a novice as well.... 1:160 is "continental" n gauge used by pretty much everyone else whereas 1:148 is used by us in the british isles.

Sorry to pester you with questions but what is it like to use Shapeways?

m0rris

Jack,

As for decals, funny you should mention them, ive contacted des at ssm, and i will be sending a paypal payment tomoz, ive still not managed to find a decent power supply for my 071 so at the moment im going to motorise the gen van, and let it push a fleet of dummy 071s, i know its cheating abit but until I can sort a motor that fits etc, it will have to do.

Regards davep

M0rris, scales as being a complete and utter novis to N gauge, i may be looking for some direction on what scales these should be, i had assumed that it would be 1:148, but as you mentioned 1:160 what is the difference (and dont say :012:P).

1:148 is basically British N and 1:160 European, I designed the prints to 1:148 scale, so you were right in assuming this.

Kindest Regards,

Jack (Valve Design @ Shapeways)

No worries, Im a bit of a novice as well.... 1:160 is "continental" n gauge used by pretty much everyone else whereas 1:148 is used by us in the british isles.

Sorry to pester you with questions but what is it like to use Shapeways?

m0rris

Shapeways are very good in my experience to deal with, the models do take a bit of fettling like ive mentioned, but its well worth it. I will be putting another oder in soon, as i require another 201,121, a pair of 141, and a dutch gen van for starters:blink:, ( best not let the girlfriend see that bit lol).

regards dave p

Jack,

As for decals, funny you should mention them, ive contacted des at ssm, and i will be sending a paypal payment tomoz, ive still not managed to find a decent power supply for my 071 so at the moment im going to motorise the gen van, and let it push a fleet of dummy 071s, i know its cheating abit but until I can sort a motor that fits etc, it will have to do.

Every time I post another reply has appeared :lol:

For my 071 I have dissambled a SD9(too long) chassis, I plan to make a printed base plate to receive the motor and bogies, this should then fit in the 071 body correctly. I'll put it in my Shapeways shop once I get round to doing it.

Cheers,

Jack

Shapeways are very good in my experience to deal with, the models do take a bit of fettling like ive mentioned, but its well worth it. I will be putting another oder in soon, as i require another 201,121, a pair of 141, and a dutch gen van for starters:blink:, ( best not let the girlfriend see that bit lol).

regards dave p

Many thanks for this info, I might splash out on an 071/111 in the near future.

I apologise for taking this away from your lovely models* but, are there any planned developments toward NIR stock in the near future as I for one would be very interesting in that.

m0rris

*I apologise to Dave and the Mods if this is an inconvenience but if it gets out of hands would it be possible to start a section in small suppliers, so as not to clutter Dave's thread!

M0orris,

Dont worry about it, obviously the 80 class driving car is NIR anyhow, im not to sure how to have this running on my IR layout, when it finally gets built, i suppose answers need sending on a postcard ;).

Regards davep

• RMweb Gold

M0orris,

Dont worry about it, obviously the 80 class driving car is NIR anyhow, im not to sure how to have this running on my IR layout, when it finally gets built, i suppose answers need sending on a postcard ;).

Regards davep

Hi Dave,

You may be interested to know that Irish Rail leased three 80 class sets in the late '80s/early '90s to fill gaps in suburban services. They retained their red and white livery but the NIR logo was replaced with the IR 'points' logo.

Some info (and a pic) on the 80 class' Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia....3d_.C3.89ireann

Edit: Just saw M0rris's update above!

Hi Dave,

Two images of the NIR 80 Class Demu's that were on loan to Irish Rail during the late 1980's.

All three of the 3car Demu's leased to Irish Rail still carried their NIR livery but the NIR branding was replaced with the Irish Rail branding.

K9-70

post-2692-046248000 1291713506_thumb.jpg

post-2692-010826200 1291713536_thumb.jpg

Cheers all for the 80class gen, at least theres a prototype for everything, k9-70 did the 80s that went south of the border have the extra light fitted (under the drives window) or wwere these standard to all 80s at this point in there life?

Kris, as for re-gauging its not something im looking at yet, i think this may be a bit beyond my talents, also theres not alot of room with the sd-9 chassis to regauge them.

Hiya all, just another catch up of bits that were previously done. 1st up, my very first attempt at a n gauge conversion, one of the mk3 driving generator vans, which im quite pleased with.

post-7260-043482300 1291749888_thumb.jpg

And two of the shapeways cement bubbles, these come as a two part kit, the main body and the base, these are then fitted on a parkside br12 foot underframe, the are really easy to do and look the part, just some ladders to add and they will be ready for spraying.

post-7260-064477300 1291749932_thumb.jpg

Thats all for now,

Davep

Hi Dave,

When the NIR 80 Class Demu's entered service in 1974, then only had the roof top headlight fitted. To mark the end of train, a white marker board was used during daylight hours and at night a loco lamp showing a red light was used instead.

When the units where being refurbished in 1984, they where fitted with a single headlight below the drivers window and a red tail light on either side of the body. Later on a second headlight was added below the non driving side of the power car and trailer bodies.

84 Lisburn 15-09-1979 showing the white marker board to mark the end of train.

7xx Lisburn 30-05-1979 a pair of 80 Class driving trailers at Lisburn, the left one with the tail light will leave for Portadown, and the right one will leave for Bangor.

745 & 94 Lisburn 1989, Head lights below the drivers windows on the powercar and trailer car, later a second headlight was fitted on the opposite side. Red tail lights now fitted.

K9-70

post-2692-029319600 1291841808_thumb.jpg

post-2692-042275300 1291841959_thumb.jpg

post-2692-049951400 1291842290_thumb.jpg

Archived