Andy Siddalls Easy-Build Workbench

Hi Andy,

Here is a link to the page where I tackled the blue/grey livery on a 4 CIG:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/51422-4-cig-for-newhaven-harbour/page-13

It also shows the Ian Rathbone method of applying blue/grey livery (post #310). It was fiddly. I think your method of masking off the grey panel and spraying all the blue is better for 0 gauge.

I do not seem to have noted how the door bangs were coloured, but they were most certainly inserted from the inside. It could be that the bangs were made of plastic rod coloured with a touch of black marker pen prior to fitting. (Ideally, black plastic rod would be the answer.

Colin

Evening All,

Colin, I shall have a look after I have had my dinner this evening. I too have been thinking of using black rod, looking at images on the web, they appear to be either Grey, Blue or the plain Black of the rubber..

Progress has slowed due to other commitments and the fact that I like to give the transfers a nice time to set before varnishing, this will now hopefully get done on Wednesday as I have to go to Brum tomorrow. I must say that using the Railtec transfers has been a pleasure compared to the last time I used another manufacturers lining.

The following pics are pretty much where we are at, the under frame is painted and the sides and ends await varnishing before final assembly.

Lee, a picture speaks a thousand words, here's 3,000 showing how I get the curve on the corners.

One side painted with a square corner, this makes the masking very simple.

post-7502-0-04041500-1514912551_thumb.jpg

With lining added!

post-7502-0-60962200-1514912563_thumb.jpg

Finally after a touch up with a little Blue paint on a fine brush.

post-7502-0-69900400-1514912589_thumb.jpg

An end ready for varnishing, this is the first time I have used the new corridor connections, I am trying ideas for the best way to use them at the moment and shall show a build on my next coach.

post-7502-0-29113600-1514912606_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Andy

Well, it's beginning to look a lot like a BG.........

Managed to get a coat of varnish on the sides when I got back yesterday evening. 

Followed by an early start this morning to get the windows fixed which meant that I had a chance to stick it all together this afternoon. In the meantime I have been preparing the guards 'box' ready for painting so this should be fitted by the weekend.

Other than the interior, current jobs remaining are to fit the corridor connections, window bars and make and fit a pair of drop buckeyes.

post-7502-0-72134900-1514913401_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-27790800-1514913416_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-45959500-1514913431_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Andy

Thanks Lee, can't wait to see it in my ever expanding rake, just need to build a loco or 2 to haul them all too.

Yes I think the lining decals worked out ok, infact I must say that I am impressed with the Railtec lining. Admittedly though I would add the doorstops after as cutting and adding all those small lengths was quite painful.

Looking at the images sitting on the picnic table makes me think that I must get round to building a little photo plank.....

Cheers

Andy

First prize Lee,

I have just ordered a class 20 to start with, obviously to be one of a pair, the build should appear on my BR Diesel WB in due course.

I do have a couple of HJ Deltics that I could run with them but they need correcting, detailing and numbering etc.

Personally I am waiting for the JLTRT 47 especially as it looks like the 1st ones out will be the Generators  :yahoo:

I would like to have a 45 and a 40 too but funds must be looked after, although I do have a DJH 40 kit but it has the early cab casting which is very incorrect...

I really should get around to emailing them about replacements.

Cheers

Andy

I have just ordered a class 20 to start with, obviously to be one of a pair, the build should appear on my BR Diesel WB in due course.

Hi Andy,

I have just built (almost) one of those and I can thoroughly recommend them.... I shall be keeping an eye on your diesel building thread then to see how I should have built it!! :D

Cheers

Lee

Thanks for the vote of confidence Lee, although I image that there will be quite a bit of Deja Vu as I was going to use your build as a guide to mine.  :dancing:

No real progress pics today as I am finishing the little jobs that need doing, window bars are glued in and setting at the moment and I have made a couple of buckeyes as I may have a running session to go to tomorrow. 

Have to go to Luton to pick up a couple of cameras back from repair, but I may get the guards office in when I return.

post-7502-0-56373500-1514913478_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Andy

Last update for today,

I have managed to get the couplings attached along with the corridors. I also got the Guards box in along with the chair and handbrake. I am not sure as to the best way to frost or white out the guards window so for now it is staying open ( that way at least you can see the interior....).

Just have the handrails and door handles to do now but these can wait until after its first run tomorrow, I shall try and get some images of it in a train as well as the corridor connections and couplers.

post-7502-0-34669500-1514914137_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-08960400-1514914146_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Andy

Well spotted Lee, 

My adhesive of choice for things like this, I find it is strong enough to hold mixed media joints together but not as brittle as superglue.

All of the seats and interior parts in my other easy builds are held in with PVA.

Cheers

Andy

Ahhhhh.... you may have given me an idea!!!

I have to fix the drivers console into the class 20 I'm building.  I wanted to glaze the cab first and thought that if I subsequently use Cyano glues I will certainly end up with frosted/ fogged windows.....

Hmmm... I wonder if PVA will hold the resin console to the cab wall?????

Cheers

Lee

Lee, pva may well do the job as it grips quite well and as you say it will not craze the glazing, I also find it sticks to paint ok, with cyano I have found that it can peel away from painted surface after a while.

Jim, thanks for the tip, I have a couple of spare Windows that I may well experiment on.

Cheers

Andy

Just a small update this evening.

I have managed to get all of the final details added to the BG in the last couple of days. I now need to paint the door handles and handrails and then all is done.

post-7502-0-25630000-1514914199_thumb.jpg

I have made a sneaky start on the next one but I shall not post anything until I have some final pictures of the completed BG.

Cheers

Andy

Here it is, Mk1 BG M80568 in all it's glory, on a piece of test track on a folding table in the garden.... :no:

As it didn't snow today I thought that the weather was nice enough to take a few piccies in natural light.

The Handles and handrails etc are all attached and painted, other than weathering I think that this is about as far as I shall go.

post-7502-0-01620100-1514914286_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-02170300-1514914294_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-83661300-1514914299_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-67567100-1514914306_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-78926400-1514914314_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-41982700-1514914321_thumb.jpg

I may frost the guards box window but for now I like the fact that you can see in, I did also wonder about 3D printing a mass of parcels to go inside but that is for later.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy,

The BG has come very well.  I bet you are pleased with the lining!  Re. the frosting of the guard's window, painting the inner surface with BR freight grey (or even some BR grey as per the sides) looks rather convincing in 4mm - not sure about 7mm though.  It might be worth an experiment with some scrap glazing.  On that 4 CIG, the toilet windows were obscured with pale green-grey paper.  (Paper was used because there had to be two clear spots in the window panes on that unit.)

All the best,

Colin 

Thanks Colin,

Yes I am really pleased with the way this one has turned out. The lining from Railtec was a joy to use and looks great. I have painted the backs of windows in the toilets of one of my TSO's and it worked ok. I am thinking of leaving the section above the frame bar unpainted so that you can still see in.

Moving onwards, the next project is the Easybuild SK built to Diagram 146. I was going to do a first class vehicle before another second but back in March I went to the North Yorks Moors to have a trip behind Scotsman. While I was there I went to Lewisham to get a photo of her rounding the curve, sat in a siding I found the following little beauty and took a few pics for inspiration.

post-7502-0-98348600-1514914478_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-18139100-1514914490_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-92366800-1514914497_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-35506700-1514914507_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-56579600-1514914517_thumb.jpg

Built at Derby in 1956 for the Eastern region, withdrawn and preserved in 1982. I am not sure whether she has been restored and repainted in preservation but looking at the current condition I would like to think not.

For this build I shall try to explain my build method a little more as a few people have asked. I have made myself a set of notes to compliment the excellent instructions provided and noted where I change the build order or do things differently, it also provides me with a quick reference as to dimensions etc.

Cheers

Andy

Just a little update today, not too much happening as I am away for the weekend and then my next contract starts on Tuesday for 4 months so the pace may slow a little, or a lot.....

As promised, this time I shall try and explain the order that I build an Easybuild and hopefully give some explanation as to why.

I start with the ends as these along with the floor are used to make sure that the sides are to the correct length, as the floor requires less painting I get the ends onto the paint bench as soon as I can.

We need to check that the end steps are correct for the coach being modelled by either removing the pads or adding steps as required.

On one end we remove the emergency brake gear mouldings, at the other we drill for and add wire to make this gear ( I may try the CPL etched Em Brake gear as used by Brian Daniels but that will be on a later build).

The buffers and buffer beam steps can be added along with the coupler plate and as of this kit I shall fit the corridor connection backplate and mask a thin strip at each side for the 'curtain' moulding to attach.

After a good wash and brush up, the ends are ready painting and even decalling ready for assembly.

post-7502-0-81432000-1514914575_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-17380200-1514914584_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Andy

Edited to say, if anybody wants anything showing or explaining in more detail then please let me know, preferably clean and related to Easybuild products.  :nono:

Hi Andy,

Your completed BG looks really good.  I'd be very pleased with that if it were mine especially if I could get the lining done so well.

Thanks for posting a how to guide to building these coaches, most helpful and I shall watch on with eagerness.  It's always great to see how these kits are put together and the order that they are done.

Cheers

Lee

Archived