Andy Siddalls Easy-Build Workbench

Thanks for that Andy,

one of the things that we have been thinking about is using the JLTRT roof moulding in place of the EzB roof if it's a better profile and if we can still get them. We don't know how well they will fit Etc. but as most models are viewed from above the roof is a pretty important place to start.

OzzyO. 

Hello all,

something is very wrong at the coach end, as the roof should fit to the body end! Looking at them I "think" that the roof is the wrong profile and the end has the correct profile. In that the cantrail is not sharp enough and the main roof curve is too large.

post-8920-0-14550900-1474231886_thumb.jpg

This drawing may show a bit more of what I'm saying.

The more I look at it, the more it looks like a P3 L.M.S. coach roof profile.

OzzyO.

OzzyO,

I think that a lot of it comes down to the thickness of the roof in the extrusion process. The roof is a few millimetres thick and has a rough chamfer at the ends touring its thickness down to something more realistic. If the coach is built in a way that the length matches that of the roof then that thickness will sit behind the ends. Alternatively you could build the coach from the top down (with a permanently attached roof)  and fill the gap between roof and ends before painting.

Cannot comment on the JLTRT roof as I have not built one of Pete's coaches.

Personally for what I am wanting to achieve, life is too short and I shall get my three rakes built in a reasonable time. The problem seems to be the usual one of compromise in kit manufacturing, with the possible exception of the MMP kit, most have their issues its just a case of where you find your happiness within this.

Cheers

Andy

• 1 year later...

Hello and a Happy New Year to all.

I am not sure whether this is a resolution or not but I need to complete some of the projects on my Work Bench. To get started I have been making an effort on the Easybuild 108 that I have had on the back burner for a little while now.

Work has progressed over the last few days in that I  have now made progress on the interior.

post-7502-0-23362700-1514913901_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-86040400-1514914022_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-59703300-1514914031_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-80470800-1514914041_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-40960700-1514914051_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Hello and a Happy New Year to all.

I am not sure whether this is a resolution or not but I need to complete some of the projects on my Work Bench. To get started I have been making an effort on the Easybuild 108 that I have had on the back burner for a little while now.

Work has progressed over the last few days in that I  have now made progress on the interior.

attachicon.gif22_108.JPG

Cheers

Andy

Happy New Year Andy..........looks like you got your Christmas wish and had a full size 08 delivered on your drive!  :laugh:

Just a little bit of progress today. 

I have managed to get the wiring to theHead, Tail and interior lights completed in the DMCL, I shall be wiring the DMBS in exactly the same way, I have decided not to add cab lights at this time but they could be added later if I so choose. The DMCL will be controlled via a Hornby 4 function decoder as function only decoders seem to be a tad costly and I wanted to try the Hornby offering as for functions only it comes in at a nice price for 4 functions.

Remaining jobs on the 108 at the moment are the wiring of the DMBS and fitting of an ESU Loksound decoder, fitting pickups to  3 bogies and completing a small amount of detail work on the bodies,  hinges etc.

i will be through wiring between the 2 units as this will allow me to use less pick ups thus reducing drag across  the unit.

post-7502-0-18452800-1515165688_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-29431700-1515165703_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-97971900-1515165716_thumb.jpg

Work has stopped play for the rest of the day as after completing the above, my quick and instinctive reactions at catching the falling soldering iron have resulted in a burnt hand and accompanying 'hurts'....

Cheers

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Or down the front/inside of ones welding apron-whilst welding something that requires you to remain completely and perfectly still!

Me and welding never mixed. Especially after I managed to weld the rod to the piece, and the piece to the bench. Transformer made quite a hum until I turned it off.

Just a little update on the Easybuild 108. Wiring is all completed ready for a test run at the club tomorrow.

I currently have 1 speaker in the DMBS but will put a second under the DMCL I think as it would work better with 2.

As I have pickups on one bogie of each unit I have temporarily wired across the connection using PCB header pins! Remaining jobs are to finish the handrails and loo filler and paint the door furniture (this will be done as and when I get the paints out for the next build) and lower the motor bogie end slightly as it sit s a little high!

post-7502-0-40069000-1515858947_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-33511200-1515858958_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Andy

Thanks.

I really like the idea of using these for connections and may continue to do so. At the moment the left one is the left rail and the right the right rail. 

I may however need to find a 2 pole connector which allows for polarity connection as if I add the second speaker under the DMCL I will have 2 wires at each side and wouldn't want any accidents....

Cheers

Andy

Archived