CCW Locomotive Kits

d_greenfield

Hi

CCW

From what I can remember they were very crude and by today's standards, made up in their standard form, could only be classed as a representation of a prototype. The white metal ones were basic, and the sheet material ones (etching wasn’t in fashion in the 1970's) could only be described as a scratch building aid. Having said all that, I have seen some damned good models built from them. Oh one thing, the milled valve gear they used to make is fantastic.

Gary

Dave

I had a CCw kit recently an Original Scot bought second hand at a show. it was brass which appeared to have a mixture of etched and pressed brass parts. Some fitted some didn't. The chassis had the axle holes slightly out of true and I needed to make a lot of bits to detail it. I believe JPL now have the kits.

Sandy

I remember going to the factory/office when it was at the Bridle Path next to Watford Junction Station. I have a catalogue dating from Nov 1965.

I have some old 00 gauge wooden coaches, but by 1965 they 0 gauge only. They sold a limited number of 0 gauge wagons but only sold castings of coach parts and wooden seats.

The catalogue lists 3 tank and 3 tender loco body kits. GWR 48xx, SR M7 & LNER J50. Tender locos LMS 2P, 3f & 4F Tenders were MR 3250 gal and LMS 3500 gal. Locos have brass boilers and smoke box. The rest being castings (whitemetal?). No mention of chassis.

CCW kits became part of Etheringtons of Greet Birmingham (the late Joe Moss) who manufactured amongst other things Railway Lamps and Ships Lanterns. They did make several pre-cut and pre-formed sheet metal loco kits in Nickle and Brass.These included a 27XX pannier, Black 5, Re-built Patriot and 2-6-4 Tank. The white metal range included a Collett 0-4-2, LNWR 0-6-2 all the chassis were very basic and designed to take a Pittman DC81 motor. The Kit business was taken over by Joe's Business Partner who continued to manufacture the Kits from a factory unit off Green Lane Birmingham but then sold on to someone in Cheshire (Wilmslow) I think in the late 70's early 80's.

Mike

Archived