Is this a Gaiety related engine?

dublorunner

As said, a tourist item, I believe that Lone Star may have been involved in this market, as were Budgie toys, with the more common LMS 060. The Gaiety was far better quality, a JVM cast item, in one piece, not the riveted together selection of cast parts.

There were dozens of British toy makers involved in castings these items after the war, with only Lesney, Dinky and Corgi surviving, although lone Star went on for quite a while. Most were London and Midland based companies, and have long closed or moved into other industries after takeovers.

Stephen.

I've got one of these (body only) tucked away somewhere. I assumed it was an early Gaiety as the castings are very similar apart from being in three parts (They have the unusual square spectacle plate windows). It would appear it is a copy (I wouldn't have thought it worth while as the original is so cr@p), something like the Budgie Jinty (also cr@p). :unsure:

Mine has suffered attack on the RH cab/bunker with a hot object which has part melted the casting. I was going to replace it with a cab from a scrap Gaiety, but the mazak defeated me - too much like hard work for a rather pointless result! :blink:

The wheels look half decent and appear to to be copied from Romford. They have the weird Romford balance weights and surfeit of spokes. Though 16 is correct for a 27xx, these have 18!

There is very little recorded about Castle Arts of Nottingham, who owned the Gaiety Brand 00 Model Range , there were makers and suppliers of novelties, photographic frames, and miniature electric motors!!

This may be an early effort, before the move to the Electric Locos and rolling stock, about 1950 , I believe was the start date, so this one may date from the 1940's, but would have been made during the Board of Trade restriction period that stopped new toys unless made for direct export.

The casting company used by Castle Arts, (and others), was JVM (J&V Murcotts) of Tamworth who are motor trade casting suppliers these days. Castle Arts stopped making the Gaiety electric locos after about 5 years, selling of the last stock, and closing the Nottingham factory, but they remained selling novelties and toys for several years.

Stephen.

• 7 months later...

Today in a charity shop I saw a metal model of a LMS Jinty 0-6-0 that reminded me of the pannier tank above.

It had a box on which it said 'Budgie.... the model ( or make ) that speaks for it's self'

The art work on the box had a very sixties feel to it.

They wanted £7.50 for it to help with the RSPCA.

• 4 years later...

The photographs relate to the model that I bought and photographed.

There is mention of a Budgie Jinty, which I do not think is any relation to it. However, another model that I have had since childhood does.  

It is probably based on a Jinty as it is an 0-6-0 and has L M S cast on the side tanks.

I noticed one for sale recently on ebay.

It exhibits the same crisp casting as the pannier tank and the wheels are attached in the same way ie on crimped axles passing through a thin longitudinal web.

Anybody else got one?

Oh, it came in a dark green colour. 

• RMweb Premium

The photographs relate to the model that I bought and photographed.

There is mention of a Budgie Jinty, which I do not think is any relation to it. However, another model that I have had since childhood does.  

It is probably based on a Jinty as it is an 0-6-0 and has L M S cast on the side tanks.

I noticed one for sale recently on ebay.

It exhibits the same crisp casting as the pannier tank and the wheels are attached in the same way ie on crimped axles passing through a thin longitudinal web.

Anybody else got one?

Oh, it came in a dark green colour. 

So an LMS Jinty, with big cast LMS letters & painted a dark GREEN colour. Have some people NO SHAME!

• 1 year later...

Looking for something else (as usual), I came across these two:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIECAST-METAL-PANNIER-TANK-SOLD-AS-A-RESTORATION-PROJECT-SCROLL-DOWN-4-PHOTOS/151458812874?hash=item2343a613ca:g:D64AAMXQyN9RIS6x

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIECAST-METAL-GAIETY-0-4-0-SOLD-AS-A-RESTORATION-PROJECT-SCROLL-DOWN-4-PHOTOS/151458812877?hash=item2343a613cd:g:ZioAAOxy6MBSNgmx

The first is one of these split-down- the-middle pannier tanks and the other one of the Gaiety N2s. I had one like this in the fifties (3/6d from BHS), but mine was a 2-4-0T and incapable of going around curves. The casting has been modified to add slide bars (I had forgotten that mine had these) and a cycling lion in place of the number. I did want one for my collection, but not at this price. The same objection applies to the pannier.

There are some examples of the more usual pannier on eBay at the moment. Three of them have frightening prices, but they are part of Cartmel's extensive collection of overpriced tat

• 3 months later...

It looks more like something from one of the die-cast toy manufacturers or some long ago ancestor of GBL. Hardwicke being a famous engine, I wonder if someone like Corgi or Lesney did a commemorative edition.

Edit : A quick search for die-cast Hardwicke turned up this. http://www.robertnewson.co.uk/articles/Riverseries.html

Thanks for the link. I have a Coppernob, Hardwicke, and Stirling Single, but never knew who made them.

It looks more like something from one of the die-cast toy manufacturers or some long ago ancestor of GBL. Hardwicke being a famous engine, I wonder if someone like Corgi or Lesney did a commemorative edition.

Edit : A quick search for die-cast Hardwicke turned up this. http://www.robertnewson.co.uk/articles/Riverseries.html

Fascinating.  I don't remember ever seeing any of these before, the motor vehicles or locos - and I was an eager viewer of toy shop windows in those days!

Archived