7mm street tram track

signaller

I have a continueing quest for a good looking street tram track in 7mm scale. I contacted the producer of the excellent H0 Easy Street tram track but he tells me the production process (etching) will not work in the larger scale. My experiment is using NS strip to match the height of the code 100 rail (see pic) It looks good and is quite easy to lay but the obvious problem is expansion. Any constructive idea's would be most welcome.

All the best

tramtrack.jpg

Hi signaller,

No helpful suggestions unfortunately,

however, I just wanted to say that looks good.

What have you used for those superb looking cobbles / stones?

Hope you find an answer to your question,

and best of luck with this project-

looks fab so far.

Marc :D

I believe it is/was quite common to use a strip of nickel silver with code 100 track in 4mm scale to represent girder rail, so can't see you having too many problems witrh expansion etc. I've seen several layouts constucted with rail formed like that, the other one similar was code 75 laid into the web of the rail to create the girder effect, that I would imagine is harder to do as you would have to bend the rail in the opposite plane to normal, might be fun.

Regards the setts, looks very interesting, don't know if I could individually lay them myself! What are the actual size of the stone pieces, only problem I can see is that they maybe a bit large for the average granite set, but difficult to tell properly, looks effective though?

Cheers, Mark.

• RMweb Gold

That looks really excellent. If you go for that method of construction don't forget to fill in the underneath/bottom of the rail and n/s strip. I saw some really excellent tram track recently but it was spoiled by being able to look right through the gap! I got this essential bit of advice from an old friend who has built more street trackage using this method than I would care to count!

What are the actual size of the stone pieces, only problem I can see is that they maybe a bit large for the average granite set, but difficult to tell properly, looks effective though?

Cheers, Mark.

They are about 7mm x 5mm, overscale I know. However they are readily available and look the part. Once grouted in they should do the job. Smaller means more of em and longer to install so it is a compromise.

They are about 7mm x 5mm, overscale I know. However they are readily available and look the part. Once grouted in they should do the job. Smaller means more of em and longer to install so it is a compromise.

Not by too much though, looks fun!

Are you going to do the complete road surface in the setts, or just the bit that the tramway was responsible for?

Not by too much though, looks fun!

Are you going to do the complete road surface in the setts, or just the bit that the tramway was responsible for?

I will see how it goes, as you probably know it varies in the prototype. I have a drawing where the sets are both sides of each running rail with conrete in the middle. Doesn't look right though!

Cheers

• RMweb Premium

From my limited knowledge the tram company was responsible for the track area plus I think 30" either side for mainenance of the surface so to keep it easy the whole area would be cobbled. However i am sure that there were variations.

Jamie

No way can I add any more practical information than what's been given already, only some extra observations [having made plans and had thoughts but never had enough time to get started properly!...]

With street tramway track, I feel the key to appearance is not so much the rail section but the view from above, the bright rail head, groove, dull check rail surface and road surface [of great variety]. As emphasised in earlier posts, filling or camouflaging grooves is vital for good appearance, especially if over-scale. The etched rail is the most direct way to achieving good appearance for 4mm and similar wheel/rail profiles, subject to having compatible wheel profile/gauge.

A few years ago, I did make a tentative beginning in tramway modelling in gauge 0, abandoning this in disappointment at what was available in those days. Not before I'd done some experimental work on track, based on achieving the best 'from above' appearance. Enclosed is the only picture I've found of the tiny experiemental section I made. For this I used strips of 1.2mm brass for running rails, 0.5mm strips for the the check [both 2mm depth above sleeper], and 1mm square section sandwiched between these to create the groove. On this sample, I included a pair of 1.2mm strips in the centre for the London conduit. For the road surface, there is cardboard infill and a printed paper overlay, scaled to match London cobbles, coloured and textured using pencils.

I did something similar once I moved to 4mm, experimenting with the etched rail and various ways of fixing and filling around it. Old pictures also enclosed for completeness - scruffy Feltham is my 4mm 'test bed' for lighting and motorisation, battered over the years.

Somewhere, I'm sure I have some relevant reference material on Gauge 0, so will have a hunt around and if I find anything, Signaller, I'll let you know.

post-1311-0-77488800-1292940009_thumb.jpg

post-1311-0-88020300-1292940074_thumb.jpg

post-1311-0-44161800-1292940183_thumb.jpg

post-1311-0-19477800-1292940215_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Some superb links to trackwork. The modelled stuff is particularly noteworthy.

Here is some of mine. I represent the setts by scribing, using good quality tile grout and a pin in a pin vice. Drives you mad, but at least you can scribe setts in a curved formation which I've yet to create with embossed stuff.

post-6728-0-09001100-1293018571_thumb.jpg

This is infact checkrailed track not a tram grooved rail representation.

post-6728-0-65124700-1293018895_thumb.jpg

This is the system that I use. If you do want to try this method always apply the grout in two layers as I learned from bitter experience that if you do it all in one go the between sleeper spaces will always show!

post-6728-0-23531700-1293019221_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-15600400-1293019306_thumb.jpg

First attempt at a demo piece. Cobbles not very regular enough!

And I thought I had seen everything!

http://www4.worldisr...s/0/232/542.jpg

Took these 2 photos in Santiago de Cuba March this year, system long closed as well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevin-staddon/4792376349/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevin-staddon/4793003482/in/photostream/

Same junction, narrow street. Interest to note how they increased the radius to get around the corner.

The interesting pictures of track in tight spaces gives me an excuse to refer to a well-known and favourite picture, with an uncommon piece of trackwork.

http://dewi.ca/trains/london/pix/c0352.jpg

As well as the evocative character of the scene - would like to replicate this as a modular diorama, one day - it indicates to me that the track is an important part of the image. It's there, but isn't overpowering. There's also the mix of cobbles and tarmacadam road surfacing, making for variety and interest.

Worth looking at the photographs of Henry Priestly, in published books or in the Crich Tramway Museum archive pages for inspiration. If it's modern tramway track that's to be modelled, there are a suprisingly large number of web sites these days that illustrate the creative ways that light rail track formations can be arranged.

Archived