Northenden Cement Terminal

In response to Southernman46 request for more information on Northenden cement terminal here are some shots from the eighties when the Bachmann Presflows were in regular use. All but one taken from the western (Altrincham) end at varying angles. Hopefully you can pick up details from these. Be aware there were actually 5 silo's butted up to each other not one as some of the shots would have you believe. Picture 9 shows the line taken from Northendon box and the 5 silos can be made out in the top left hand corner. The sidings are operated by a ground frame, electrically released from the CLC Northenden Box seen in the distance. Note the traps built into the points, a challenge if you make your own track.

To contrast the final three shots show the terminal yesterday. The silo has been replaced with an entire new storage and loading facilities. All the track is still there with the only change to the layout being the straightening of the nearside siding. The ground frame is still there and I assume operation is still the same, though clearly the sidings have not been used for some time.

How they help with 'filling that corner'

Mike Wiltshire

post-9992-0-57985300-1292970505_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-76857600-1292970549_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-74741200-1292970643_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-06859600-1292970666_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-98556800-1292970753_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-46898500-1292970780_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-41071200-1292970803_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-51710200-1292970819_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-00006100-1292970845_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-87942000-1292970865_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-25744200-1292970882_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-63262700-1292972342_thumb.jpg

Many many thanks to you Sir !

Very useful - it's delightful compact site. Looks as thought it was converted from a cement distribution centre into a ready mix concrete distribution centre - reduction in the number of silos and addition of the mixing plant - all of which bear distinct resemblence to the Bachmann scenecraft items. Even the mainline is interesting - the change from timber & bullhead to concrete FB. The mix of wagon types PCA's and presflos and the stabling of wagons on the "mainline" during shunting operations. That turnout is like nothing I've ever see too - wonderful stuff - those locos - what have we lost over the years ? :D

Very interesting shots. Is the Class 47 train in the fifth photo part of the shunting operation or just a coincidence that a train of Presflos happened to pass by when the same type was being shunted?

Northenden must be pretty unusual these days in retaining two freight facilities so close together.

The 47 was just passing. The 37 in the background was about to shunt., though I have shots of 47's shunting the yard.

Mike Wiltshire

Very interesting shots. Is the Class 47 train in the fifth photo part of the shunting operation or just a coincidence that a train of Presflos happened to pass by when the same type was being shunted?

Northenden must be pretty unusual these days in retaining two freight facilities so close together.

• RMweb Premium

Nice piccies! The two catch points within the entry point would make an interesting bit of track.

How far along does the right-hand siding now go? Does it go under the loading bay?

Cheers,

Mick

• 2 months later...

Called at Northenden on my way home today and got pictures off the stone train.

l

Mark

What time did the shunt take place? I saw it was the 10:55 ex Downlow, but I am back in Manchester in a couple of weeks and would like to try and photograph it myself.

I assume the loco left light engine. Did it continue to Skelton as in the 80's or reverse up to the crossover outside Northenden Box?

Regards

Mike Wiltshire

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Nice piccies! The two catch points within the entry point would make an interesting bit of track.

How far along does the right-hand siding now go? Does it go under the loading bay?

Cheers,

Mick

That sort of point, with traps included in the point, was actually quite common across the rail network in locations where there was not space for a headshunt. It's a cheaper solution than a double-slip and sand drag.

Examples that come to mind immediately are Swanage and Yeovil Pen Mill.

• RMweb Gold

That sort of point, with traps included in the point, was actually quite common across the rail network in locations where there was not space for a headshunt. It's a cheaper solution than a double-slip and sand drag.

Examples that come to mind immediately are Swanage and Yeovil Pen Mill.

.... and Lapford - see left hand side of this image by Dave Vinsen ("eggesford box" on RMweb)

Liking the shots of Northenden btw - as said, a nice example of a compact site & still in operation :D

• 4 years later...
Topic hasn’t been brought up for a while. I’m basing part of my layout on the Cement works. Are they still in operation and could someone tell me what type of wagons are behind the Class 66, MBA’s???

Cheers. Stevie

I don't think any stone trains have run to Northenden for some years now and the trackwork in the two sidings is intact based on observations from my commutes to and from Northwich - Stockport.

The wagons with the class 66 were CAIB JNA open boxes a design originally built for ballast traffic for Railtrack but after some mods were put into general use with CAIB.

In reply to an older posting I was told at the time that the empties ran to Northwich to run-round rather than use Skelton Junction loop and a propelling move onto the mothballed Partington line or the Up Chester. I think this was the main reason for sending the empties down to Northwich.

HTH Paul

Archived