SRman

My very good friend DougN has now delivered the promised baseboards - he has built in one week what it would have taken me months to do! What's more, as a professional in the building industry, he has produced something far more professional than I could do; the carpentry is superb.

I have started to play around with track to check that what I have drawn on my plans will actually work and, so far, the indications are that it will do so rather better than I had hoped.

A name has yet to be settled on but a couple of (fictional) possibilities I came up with are Heybridge or Heyfleet., with a fictional River Hey running through at one end.

I have to start with the London Underground tracks which will form a self-contained double track circuit on the lower level, with two crossovers and two loops to store extra trains. Trains will be of four, five or maybe six coach lengths. Where the three car CO/CP train is sitting is where the island platform will be. The outer loops are for storing one train each and will not have platform faces. Minimum radius will be around 20".

After that, the upper double track circuit will represent British Rail main lines with eight storage loops at the rear (hence the eight lengths of track in the pictures at the far end demonstrating that they will easily fit the space). Most of the loops will be able to hold an eight car EMU or a loco with seven coaches. The loops (which double as a fiddle yard) will be on open display so will be ballasted eventually. There will probably be no station on these lines, although I had also thought of modelling an abandoned/derelict station. Minimum radius will be around 22". The two tracks on the outside left of the layout pics will be at the higher level.

All this is in a sort of L-shaped dumbell, so no duck-unders required. To reach the farthest places, Doug has thoughtfully put everything on castors.

The first pics were taken after dark so have a little bit of a colour cast to them - I have only partially corrected this.

NewLayout1mod800_zps916fe5d6.jpg

NewLayout2mod800_zpseb02395c.jpg

NewLayout3mod800_zps69f972c2.jpg

NewLayout4mod800_zpsf18da8fc.jpg

NewLayout5mod800_zps082b49ac.jpg

NewLayout6mod800_zps62123e9d.jpg

NewLayoutCastors800_zps5ed1b2f9.jpg

Doug delivered it on Christmas Eve. What a great Christmas present. Now most of the rest is up to me, although here are a few corners to trim later - Doug deliberately left them so I could have room to move with the track laying and scenic ideas.

The heavier locomotives are holding the lengths of track in place (very roughly!) while the two class 166 driving coaches are the longest and widest vehicles I have so will be used for all gauging and clearance purposes.

Edit, April 2018: Please note that due to changes in Photobucket's usage terms, none of the earlier photos will show up any more. I may try to replace missing photos using Flickr if I can find the time to go through all of the necessary pictures and upload them, then edit the posts to utilise the new settings, but don't hold your collective breath! :)

Edited by SRman
  • Like 3

I can only second what Jamie said above, would love to see a full trackplan of this. I also love the idea of a derelict station left abandoned, there are some fantastic websites to gain research photographs from, and a derelict station can look pretty mournful, but so so atmospheric if pulled off well. Many layouts I suppose just don't have the room to do such a thing without it looking unrealistic, i.e. too close to the new/existing station, although an abandoned platform (like the abandoned third platform at Brixton) could work I suppose...

Anyway, great progress so far, and I await further photos/plans with interest.

Adam

I will scan the trackplan soon. I haven't finalised my ideas for the loco shed and wagon sidings yet so any plans I have drawn depicting those may be works of fiction!

If I do go ahead with the derelict station, I always have memories of the old Gatwick Racecourse station in the 1960s, as trains sped through. There's not a huge amount of scope for scenery in the narrow section but I have tried to plan to make things as reachable as possible.

Thanks for the comments.

Well thank you SRman. The layout didn't take long and wasn't that hard to put together. For others though The layout is built along the lines of L guirder system. There is 2 sections on shown with a joint in the layout in the far corner. The L Girders have a high and low level conection between the 2 sections. the joint is off set by about 300mm's as well. The upper bolts are in a rib and the lower are in a spreader between the 2 L girders. I found this the easy way to get a nice stiff joint between the 2 sections, the other advantage is as they are perpendicular to each other the layout almost self braces to keep square. It is kept square by the MDF to the Lower underground section. The upper will self brace!

The main materials that have been used are:-

L girder (radiata pine through out) 70x 19 long leg down, 42x19 short leg across (screwed at 300 centres)

Ribs 42x19 on edge with closer to the rear at 300 ctrs

Legs 70x35 top housed to the L girder with a spreader mid way down of 70x35 (again radiata pine but structural grade MGP10)

Sheet material

main running areas 12mm MDF

back scene 6mm MDF

People might be horrified at using MDF but here in Melbourne where we generally have low humidity the sheet is stable. (this is the same for my layout that was built about 3 years ago) I have recommended to SRman to paint the surface in Dulux Hurrican (nice mid to dark Grey) to avoid moisture damage (read cups of tea spilling)

No doubt SRman may take a photo of underneath the layout to explain the above (if you ask really nicely and say please)

Hi Jeff,

Good to see that you are underway with the new layout.I am most envious as my new project is still sometime in the future and awaits a move to a new home to accomodate it. I have only recently dicovered that modified 2EPB units found their way to Tyneside in the 1950's so our new layouts may have a little in common.Doug has made an excellent job of the baseboards-an example of BRMA co-operation I presume.

Ron.

Ron, I wish you luck with the move and new layout. While i didn't move house, I did move rooms!

The South Tyneside EPBs were purpose built then transferred south with modifications to suit the SR after the Tyneside lines were de-electrified, somewhere around 1963, I think.

Anyway, I have now scanned in two variations of the trackplan. The final version has featues from both. The first one is more accurate regarding board sizes while the second better represents the track layout along the narrow stretch, with the Underground station. Both have ideas sketched in for scenic features and the loco shed and sidings - I may or may not use these ideas. The rear upper level loops are better represented in the first plan.

Plan2800_zps2bfa1e5d.jpg

Plan1800_zps0e61a88a.jpg

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1

Hi Jeff,

Nice work there, Doug has done a good job with the baseboards. The layout looks like a good plan too.

I was at Doug's place a couple of weeks before Christmas and saw his excellent layout. I was inspired by the North Eastern feel of the layout and the sound locos, of course DCC. I will be in UK in April-May and will check out this aspect a bit further when there and I may have to visit yourself and ask some questions.

Keep up the good work.

Mark

Here's the plan showing the alternate route for the Underground I mentioned earlier.

Plan3-2_zps0b7ae7b6.jpg

Also, as Doug has suggested earlier that i show the undersides of the boards, here are a few photos showing the board framework and L-girder construction.

UnderBoardFramework3800_zps19f15573.jpg

UnderBoardFramework2800_zps2f94a7be.jpg

UnderBoardFramework7800_zps90a0d14b.jpg

UnderBoardFramework1800_zps9ac1060b.jpg

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1

... and now some further progress with the track laying. I have cut and fitted the track for the Underground station area on the far side of what will be the platform. Nothing is pinned down at this stage (hence all the heavy Heljan and Bachmann locomotives anchoring the track; fixing it will have to await delivery of the new points from Hattons, plus cutting out the holes for the point motors and painting the boards. As can be seen, I have clearance for up to six-car LT trains in the loops.

In the background you may notice an eight-coach pseudo- SR EMU. That was also for gauging purposes to see how long the storage loops have to be as it turns out, my drawings and sketches have proved to be pretty close to the mark. The train itself consists of a half-built 4BEP, using Southern Pride pre-coloured sides and MJT driving ends on old Triang-Hornby mark 1 underframes, and four ordinary mark 1 coaches (three x Bachmann and 1 x modified and repainted Mainline).

321_021838_540000001.jpg

321_021838_540000002.jpg

321_021838_540000000.jpg

• Like 2

Well SRman (and every one) thanks for the kind comments regarding the baseboards. I will have to get that last peice ready for you for the weekend. That way we can arrange the last of the MDF and the fiddle yards to the upper levels. (and stop changing the track.... :rolleyes: )

Nerron, Yes SRman, Neil S Woods and a couple of other BRMA members do "share" skills at times and if requested. I enjoy doing the "heavy" bit of layout building, but just as at home with Scenics and loco Chassis! where ever possibel I will help out and SRman and I have collaborated at times on each others layouts!

Chat soon

• Like 1

Our feline companion Toby decided to inspect the new works, especially as I have allowed him into the train room while he can't damage anything - normally the doors are hooked closed so he can't get in. He loves the trains running, even more so if they have sound (we nicknamed him TechnoCat since he also loves computers and the laser printers when they are turned on).

When I was running the old layout I had to unhook at least one of the doors. Toby just shoves the sliding door aside and walks in to watch and play.

For the time being I have temporarily hooked up a short test track of 4 yards of Peco flexible track with flying leads from one of my Power Cabs. Toby heard me running trains up and down this test track and this was the result:

TobyonLayout4800_zps4a957ee6.jpg

TobyonLayout4800_zps4a957ee6.jpg

TobyonLayout3800_zps35fb6fc1.jpg

TobyonLayout2800_zpsb4668fa3.jpg

laugh.gif

Edited by SRman
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

This is coming on nicely. Love the LT stock! The feline interest made me laugh. When I built my nephew's roundy-roundy one of their cats decided to muscle in and was mesmerised by the Bachmann 158 we used to test my wiring. At one point he looked about to pounce on the train, so we gently evicted him soon after!

If it is of any help, the LT stock is from a couple of sources.

The CO/CP stock is built from slightly modified Harrow Models/Radley Models Q38 white metal kits, powered by two Black Beetle motors in one motor coach. These are operable but still don't have seats fitted yet. I will convert them to DCC soon.

The Q stock is from DC Kits / Little Bus Company resin kits, with representatives of Q23, Q27, Q31 and Q38 stock. At the moment there is only one Black Beetle motor fitted. As these are lighter then the CO/CP stock this may suffice ...I hope!

Other stock for future use includes Harrow/Radley white metal 1920 F stock ("Tanks") - one car built, three to make up; Radley resin A60 stock - four cars painted but not assembled; Little Bus Company resin C69 stock - not even started yet; plus three sets of EFE tube stock, two 1938 and one 1959/62, motorised but awaiting fitting of Metro Models pin-point axles and bogie frames.

With storage on the layout for only four trains at a time, some will remain in reserve to allow me to ring the changes from time to time. The wisdom of keeping all of the running lines level should help too.

Toby is very strong and very persistent - if I don't let him in he keeps working away at the doors, even if they are hooked closed!! :lol:

Hey Peter.

At this stage, I'm thinking to put the station only on the underground lines. This will make it easier to run different time periods as LT's signage and features changed less than BR's over the '60s to present.

I am toying with the idea of doing an abandoned, derelict station on the main lines though.

Hey Peter.

At this stage, I'm thinking to put the station only on the underground lines. This will make it easier to run different time periods as LT's signage and features changed less than BR's over the '60s to present.

I am toying with the idea of doing an abandoned, derelict station on the main lines though.

Hi Jeff,

Ok, but just a thought, ( yes it did hurt):P what if you removed a couple of underground lines through the station then that would give you room to have a high level mainline station joining the underground, I remember seeing a layout years ago with something like it, I will have a look for you. Sorry to put a spanner in the works but it might be worth a look.:D

Cheers Peter.

Pete,

For accessibility, the two storage loops in the underground station are the only storage for those lines. I do have room for hidden storage lines under the main lines at the back but I really don't want to go down that route as there would be so many more complications such as hidden points and some sort of detection circuits being needed.

If you have a look at the earlier plan sketches I drew platforms at the far left of the layout, and an alternative with narrow platforms on the high level adjoining the LT ones. In any case they would be simple through stations and would add little or nothing to the operation of the layout.

Yours is a good thought but I have already ruminated along those lines myself and evolved it to the current stages. There is still plenty of time to chang or modify things as I go. I will be trying out new things as I develop the layout.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for revealing the origins of the LT stock. I'm old enough the remember the last Qs in service (on the East London Line), as well as the last few CO/CP stock trains. Photographically, I did better with the 1938 stock on the Bakerloo and the R stock on the District. Model-wise, at present I only have one set of the EFE 1938 stock in IoW condition. I note your comment about bearings for these. Out of the box mine have substantial rolling resistance!

Pete,

For accessibility, the two storage loops in the underground station are the only storage for those lines. I do have room for hidden storage lines under the main lines at the back but I really don't want to go down that route as there would be so many more complications such as hidden points and some sort of detection circuits being needed.

If you have a look at the earlier plan sketches I drew platforms at the far left of the layout, and an alternative with narrow platforms on the high level adjoining the LT ones. In any case they would be simple through stations and would add little or nothing to the operation of the layout.

Yours is a good thought but I have already ruminated along those lines myself and evolved it to the current stages. There is still plenty of time to chang or modify things as I go. I will be trying out new things as I develop the layout.

Hi Jeff,

No worries, you may find as you develop the layout you have more room and can add a siding or whatever. I was just worried you might get bored if all you can do on the mainline is run trains around.

Cheers Peter.

There will be sidings and a locomotive depot with turntable in the middle of the "L" at one end. I have drawn several possibilities (happy with none of them at this stage!!). Once I get the main lines under way i can experiment with the old points and spare lengths of track until I find something workable that will add shunting interest.

Of course, I could always drill a hole in the wall and have a branch line going into the car port and garden ... ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to start on the tracklaying at the right-hand end as this will be plain track. First I painted the boards with dark grey acrylic paint, as recommended by DougN. This seals the MDF from any coffee or tea spills and also hides a multitude of sins! 

First pic shows an overall view from the doorway, with the newly laid track. Note that the crossover points are not pinned down yet so I cannot do the final adjustments to the alignment yet. With this in mind, the track pins are only pushed in far enough to allow rolling stock to pass. The back tracks are not yet pinned as I intend to put cork underlay along there too. For the Underground tracks where they are near tunnel mouths and in the open, I am laying the tracks straight onto the boards, as I really want the loud rumble of the trains at those places!

OverallViewofTracklaying800_zps85d47e31.

Sorry about all the tracklaying paraphernalia still on the boards! It is an ongoing job, so I did not want to clear everything off at this stage. icon_rolleyes.gif

RearofLayout800_zps12dfa2e7.jpg

This shows the temporary track feed from my Power Cab, allowing me to test run a couple of trains. Clearances were set using the two non-powered driving coaches from a Bachmann class 166 unit, the longest and widest stock available. I am aware of the slight kinks in the alignment but, as already mentioned, I can't do the final alignments until the crossover is properly pinned down. That will have to await my fitting the point motors and cutting the holes in the boards for those to fit.

TempPowerFeedandCrossover800_zps321e8a8b

Finally, the first LT Underground train to run, at the end of the line. I spent some hours soldering a TCS T1 decoder into the double-motored car (second from the front in the pic), making sure I got all the polarities correct for the two opposite facing Black Beetles. It works like a dream! icon_cool.gif

CO-CPTrainLinesEndmod800_zps62826bb6.jpg

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1